Pocket Hand Warmer

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Image
User avatar
Skidsteer
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: Leisure Acres

Pocket Hand Warmer

Postby Skidsteer » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:12 pm

I just had to share this find with you guys. You'll get it.

Found one of these today:

Image

Image

Image

I haven't seen one since I was a very small boy on the farm.

I remember telling my Dad I was cold. He pulled a pocket warmer out of his coveralls, smiled, and said, "Here, put this in your pocket".

It was magic to a little boy.

I'm gonna send this to my Dad for his Birthday, January 26. Cost me 50 cents but I think it will be priceless to him. :D
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)
Image

User avatar
Ridgerunner
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:08 pm
Location: SW, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:39 pm

Good find Skids. I have come across a couple of those over the years while thrifting. I have a hard time passing up anything that can be used for camping, hunting, or fishing. :D :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Postby oops56 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:48 am

How about a foot warmer or bed warmer now you can burn bitch fungus in them also in the tea holder put same in it keeps the bugs away just hang it in tent or near by

Image
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
Skidsteer
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: Leisure Acres

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Postby Skidsteer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:09 am

I really don't have an interest in burning bitch fungus. :D ;)
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)
Image

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15822
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:30 am

Skidsteer wrote:
I haven't seen one since I was a very small boy on the farm.

I remember telling my Dad I was cold. He pulled a pocket warmer out of his coveralls, smiled, and said, "Here, put this in your pocket".

It was magic to a little boy.

I'm gonna send this to my Dad for his Birthday, January 26. Cost me 50 cents but I think it will be priceless to him. :D


I've never found one outside of ebay. Nice find skids. Thats going to be a special gift for your dad. You and he will be able to talk about boyhood times together. That's special!!!! Call home everyone and say hi to your parents.

I tried modifying one into an alcohol burner :roll: Got soo hot it melted the leaded seam and all heck broke out. Into the kitchen sink it went, all aflame. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right? :mrgreen:

Oops, the case with fungus, was the original purpose to burn fungus or alcohol?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56
Posts: 1920
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 am

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Postby oops56 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:34 pm

zelph wrote:
Skidsteer wrote:
I haven't seen one since I was a very small boy on the farm.

I remember telling my Dad I was cold. He pulled a pocket warmer out of his coveralls, smiled, and said, "Here, put this in your pocket".

It was magic to a little boy.

I'm gonna send this to my Dad for his Birthday, January 26. Cost me 50 cents but I think it will be priceless to him. :D


I've never found one outside of ebay. Nice find skids. Thats going to be a special gift for your dad. You and he will be able to talk about boyhood times together. That's special!!!! Call home everyone and say hi to your parents.

I tried modifying one into an alcohol burner :roll: Got soo hot it melted the leaded seam and all heck broke out. Into the kitchen sink it went, all aflame. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right? :mrgreen:

Oops, the case with fungus, was the original purpose to burn fungus or alcohol?


The big one burn fuel stick i guess at one time they made them big ones for it.. But i can put 4 or 5 in it and it work i think.
Man play with fire man get burnt

User avatar
Skidsteer
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: Leisure Acres

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Postby Skidsteer » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:30 pm

Anybody know what is used for wick inside the pocket warmers? All I can tell without pulling it out is that it's white.

I put a couple ounces of lighter fluid in mine and it passed the tip test with flying colors.
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)
Image

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15822
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Postby zelph » Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm

Skidsteer wrote:Anybody know what is used for wick inside the pocket warmers? All I can tell without pulling it out is that it's white.

I put a couple ounces of lighter fluid in mine and it passed the tip test with flying colors.


It contains "Platinum Cotton"

I was able to purchase a package of 10 replacement heads on ebay for $8.00
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/


Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest