Page 1 of 1

Pocket Hand Warmer

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:12 pm
by Skidsteer
I just had to share this find with you guys. You'll get it.

Found one of these today:

Image

Image

Image

I haven't seen one since I was a very small boy on the farm.

I remember telling my Dad I was cold. He pulled a pocket warmer out of his coveralls, smiled, and said, "Here, put this in your pocket".

It was magic to a little boy.

I'm gonna send this to my Dad for his Birthday, January 26. Cost me 50 cents but I think it will be priceless to him. :D

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:39 pm
by Ridgerunner
Good find Skids. I have come across a couple of those over the years while thrifting. I have a hard time passing up anything that can be used for camping, hunting, or fishing. :D :lol:

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:48 am
by oops56
How about a foot warmer or bed warmer now you can burn bitch fungus in them also in the tea holder put same in it keeps the bugs away just hang it in tent or near by

Image

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:09 am
by Skidsteer
I really don't have an interest in burning bitch fungus. :D ;)

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:30 am
by zelph
Skidsteer wrote:
I haven't seen one since I was a very small boy on the farm.

I remember telling my Dad I was cold. He pulled a pocket warmer out of his coveralls, smiled, and said, "Here, put this in your pocket".

It was magic to a little boy.

I'm gonna send this to my Dad for his Birthday, January 26. Cost me 50 cents but I think it will be priceless to him. :D
I've never found one outside of ebay. Nice find skids. Thats going to be a special gift for your dad. You and he will be able to talk about boyhood times together. That's special!!!! Call home everyone and say hi to your parents.

I tried modifying one into an alcohol burner :roll: Got soo hot it melted the leaded seam and all heck broke out. Into the kitchen sink it went, all aflame. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right? :mrgreen:

Oops, the case with fungus, was the original purpose to burn fungus or alcohol?

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:34 pm
by oops56
zelph wrote:
Skidsteer wrote:
I haven't seen one since I was a very small boy on the farm.

I remember telling my Dad I was cold. He pulled a pocket warmer out of his coveralls, smiled, and said, "Here, put this in your pocket".

It was magic to a little boy.

I'm gonna send this to my Dad for his Birthday, January 26. Cost me 50 cents but I think it will be priceless to him. :D
I've never found one outside of ebay. Nice find skids. Thats going to be a special gift for your dad. You and he will be able to talk about boyhood times together. That's special!!!! Call home everyone and say hi to your parents.

I tried modifying one into an alcohol burner :roll: Got soo hot it melted the leaded seam and all heck broke out. Into the kitchen sink it went, all aflame. Nothing ventured nothing gained, right? :mrgreen:

Oops, the case with fungus, was the original purpose to burn fungus or alcohol?
The big one burn fuel stick i guess at one time they made them big ones for it.. But i can put 4 or 5 in it and it work i think.

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:30 pm
by Skidsteer
Anybody know what is used for wick inside the pocket warmers? All I can tell without pulling it out is that it's white.

I put a couple ounces of lighter fluid in mine and it passed the tip test with flying colors.

Re: Pocket Hand Warmer

Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:35 pm
by zelph
Skidsteer wrote:Anybody know what is used for wick inside the pocket warmers? All I can tell without pulling it out is that it's white.

I put a couple ounces of lighter fluid in mine and it passed the tip test with flying colors.
It contains "Platinum Cotton"

I was able to purchase a package of 10 replacement heads on ebay for $8.00