recent yard sale treasures

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

recent yard sale treasures

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat May 26, 2012 3:19 pm

A couple weeks ago, I was fortunate enough to run into a graduating senior at Miami who didn't want to transport his family canoe back home :DP: so I happened to be in a cargo van at the time and the price was right. He included the paddles and trolling motor adaptor. ;)

Last night was my favorite church sale that I try not to ever miss. I think there are a couple older members that use to camp as I have found a few good items there the last few years. Last night was no exception. I left a a pup tent and a few other items but came away with the following for peeies on the dollar :D :DB:

ImageImageImageImage

A couple Silva compasses, a neat embossed expandable drinking cup, a refillible squeeze food tube, an Optimus 88? cookset, Sigg cookware, a diawa silver minicast, a 3 ltr. collapsible water container, and egg container, and a nice telephoto lens. RG, how do you know what camera the lenses fit as I have two that i will probably sell? All in all, a good day thriftin' but still no Borde bomb :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Re: recent yard sale treasures

Postby realityguy » Sat May 26, 2012 5:43 pm

Usually the lenses are marked near the mount.C(canon).M(minolta) PK(Penatax K mount bayonet)N(Nikon)If they are approximately 80-200mm zooms..usually not worth a plugged nickel..especially if they are "off" brands(soligor,kalimar,albinar,kino,etc...verses the camera brands above..The money is now in the fixed focus faster,(designated camera brands)older lenses being adaptable to digital cameras ..such as 50mm f 1.2($$$),50mm f1.4($$),55mm..50mmf 1.8-2.0(that proverbial plugged nickel or $5-15)..
I headed home early..tired after two days of weedwhacking,raking tall grass..passed up a lot of garage sales on the peninsula coming back early this morning..trying to get an uncrowded ferry.As it was..it worked out okay,didn't have to wait to get across the sound. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 29, 2012 12:15 am

lotsa goodied at that sale every year. No wonder it's your favorite.

What kind of burner in that sigg set?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue May 29, 2012 8:38 am

The Sigg set is just pots/pans, etc.
The Optimus set has a Optimus burner(like trangia) which research tells me it has no markings :(
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 29, 2012 10:36 am

A canoe? Amazing.

Maybe his family is going to kill him for selling the family canoe?

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue May 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:The Sigg set is just pots/pans, etc.
The Optimus set has a Optimus burner(like trangia) which research tells me it has no markings :(

Thanks for clarification :D

Connie, I bought a custom made canoe at a garage sale last year. Has a high mount transom for a trolling motor. Came with a 12volt marine battery /w solar charger and seat cushions/floatation devices. Time for me to get it in the water. ;)

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Tue May 29, 2012 3:10 pm

Nice Canoe man....

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Tue May 29, 2012 6:57 pm

zelph,

You are working at a lake, right?

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed May 30, 2012 12:23 am

I need to come up with some racks for the top of my camper shell to transport the canoe. I might check the local salvage yards before I do eBay. Craigslist proved fruitless :roll:

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed May 30, 2012 8:23 pm

ConnieD wrote:zelph,

You are working at a lake, right?

Yes, It's a small lake with some channels that connect to it. Saw some nice large mouth bass in the channel today while looking for a huge snapping turtle that's been chewing away the bark of trees at the waters edge. I may try to catch it and have turtle soup.(lots of soup) :D

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”