WOOHOO!

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
JBRanger

WOOHOO!

Postby JBRanger » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:56 am

Went "Goodwill Hunting" as I like to call it this weekend and found 3 down coats. Made sure they were 80% or better down filled. One other (that I didn't grab) was 50%.
Anyway, the picture included is the down collected from 2 of the smaller pockets of the smallest coat! The pot is there for size comparison.

zelph

Re: WOOHOO!

Postby zelph » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:30 pm

Yessssss!!!! indeedy whoohoo :D nice hunting, got your limit of goose :mrgreen:

Were you specifically looking for down items? did you check for bedspreads/comforters? Those I look for every time I go thriftin. Do you have plans to do an underquilt?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 am

Yes, I actually went looking for some shorts/shirts. However my secondary reason was the down items. I did indeed look through the sleeping bags, quilts, blankets, childrens coats, etc. LOL! I even checked the pillows!

I made another run to 3 different places yesteday with no luck at all. :-\

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:01 am

Almost forgot, yes I am making an underquilt. I call it the "EW" underquilt. Mostly cause the HF members who are experts as making UQs will look at mine and say EW and also it stands for "everything wrong". Meaning, I used a sew through design, didn't compensate for the down hanging below me, didn't compensate for the loft in down shrinking the width, etc, etc.... ad nauseum. :roll:

This is it in progress. I'll get it finished tonight. I did all this to this point in 2 hours last night. 10-12 no less. I am WAY tired today. LOL!
It's 40" wide (yes its narrow but I'm narrow) and 52" long (exactly 3/4" my length). I'll use rare earth magnets (small) to attach to hammock body. :D

Still, it is mine. I made it. It is my first and I will make more. I did it this way to
A: test out some ideas for this weekend
B: try my hand at making one
C: I figured for a summer UQ the sewn through baffles will be okay.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:18 pm

Mostly cause the HF members who are experts as making UQs will look at mine and say EW and also it stands for "everything wrong".

They would'nt say that. They are all good folks over there, ahem!!! maybe one or two might be a little off color ;)

If I find any down products locally I'll send them your way. I'm heading to a good will this week in a well to do neighbor hood we'll see what they get rid of ;)

Items we make ourselves have special meaning. They are top notch in our books. :DB: :DP: Keep up the good work and get some rest. ;) Hit it again tomorrow, finish it up :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:22 am

Got the quilt finished. I'm calling it the "Dilla quilt". As in armadillo. Cause that's kinda what it looks like. But enough of that, on to the pictures!

Here I am opening up the large black down coat. By far of the 3 coats the smaller vest had the highest FP down. Lots of down, no feathers really at all. This coat had more feathers, but really not too bad.
Here I have the quilt hung so the open end is on top for easy filling. This worked QUITE well. However my cheeks STILL hurt from blowing the down back into the chambers. I will outfit my small compressor with a pvc tube attachment next time.
And here it is finished.

It seriously packs down small enough to fit in a small pocket. Can't wait to use it this weekend.

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 am

Tell us how it works out for you with the hammock.

Looks really good. Hard to believe it is a first project.

I'd have embroidered brand name sewn labels: EW = EWE.

Maybe just the EWE brand name.

JBRanger

Postby JBRanger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks Connie. Means a lot coming from someone who has pretty much seen and used a LOT of the gear out there.

As for the label.... that's funny. However, I DO have a machine that can do embroidering, hrmm...... NO JEREMY, NO NO NO! LOL! :DP:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:54 pm

Great job JBR! :D I can't wait to hear how it does. Do you think it is thick enough for cold weather hanging? Now is a good time to score some down at the thrift stores for a great price ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:10 pm

I wish it was me working on that. I have had the stuff to work on a project like that for a couple years now but every time I pull it out something else comes up. I'll get around to it someday. You Res looks like its coming along well. Nice work!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”