Makings for a conglomerate stove

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
zelph

Makings for a conglomerate stove

Postby zelph » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:51 pm

I found these pieces at a goodwill store 2 days ago. I will piece them together to make a fun stove set-up.

The potbelly stove is made of steel. It has a stainless steel veggie steamer thingy in it to line the bottom as a grate. The stainless steel fondue thing is going to be turned into a Kelly Bowl, think Kelly Kettle :mrgreen: The Kelly Bowl will sit atop the potbelly wood burner or some othe stainless something or other to hold a vertical stack of twigs. I'll make the center portion of the fondue to have a wide open hole to allow a good draft. The bottom of the fondue has a hole already in it to allow a fire to enter.

Foster 2 cup can is shown as size comparison/scale.
Sorry about the placement of photos
Attachments
Thrift store find goodwill 005.jpg
Thrift store find goodwill 008.jpg
Thrift store find goodwill 009.jpg
Thrift store find goodwill 005.jpg
Thrift store find goodwill 006.jpg
Thrift store find goodwill 004.jpg
Thrift store find goodwill 003.jpg
Thrift store find goodwill 001.jpg
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Re: Makings for a conglomerate stove

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:33 am

Looks like you could bake the Mrs a cake in the stainless thingy :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Looks like you could bake the Mrs a cake in the stainless thingy :DP:

You got good eyes and I like the way you think :lol: I could line it with non-stick aluminum foil and make her one of the biggest cakes ever to be made with an alcohol stove. :o :D I could be in the Guiness record books of stovers/stovies :DP:

There are a few parts I did not photograph that will also be used. 1 piece to be used as pot support on the wood burner and one to raise the fondue thingy up to be able to put a small wood burner under it.

You know I'm addicted to this kinda thing :DBfire:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:36 pm

It appears the stainless is a Mongolian hot pot..Mongolian fondue pot..shaboo-shaboo or something like that.We used to have fondue parties like that with several plates of thin sliced meats and vegetables all cooked/boiled in spiced broth in the stainless pot..and the broth was eaten as a soup afterwards.. :dinner:

Does that big thingee weigh less than 2oz? :shock:

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:24 pm

realityguy wrote:It appears the stainless is a Mongolian hot pot..Mongolian fondue pot..shaboo-shaboo or something like that.We used to have fondue parties like that with several plates of thin sliced meats and vegetables all cooked/boiled in spiced broth in the stainless pot..and the broth was eaten as a soup afterwards.. :dinner:

Does that big thingee weigh less than 2oz? :shock:

:lol:

I wish it were the Mongolian hot pot. I would not have to do any modifications. Right now the center has to be removed.

We don't want to think about how much the big thingy weighs. :mrgreen: It's for wood burning pleasure in the back yard/campground. There is currently a "Burn Ban" in effect at the campground :twisted:

We are dry and hot here in mid America :roll:

Leaving tonight for the great state of Iowa. VA Hospital will evaluate for brain transplant beginning in the ear canal 8-) Can't play with this conglomerate stove till mid week....bummer :(

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:44 pm

The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:08 pm

I think you are right. What I have looks like a Shabu shabu cooker rather than a fonduerer :mrgreen:

What kind of thin sliced meat are they cooking?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:01 pm

We usually used a couple plates of thin sliced beef,shrimp, and thin sliced pork,but they probably used whatever was available over there...beef,chicken,goat,pig,cat,dog,snake,toadettes..anything that will cook fast.Everybody sits around the table and throws in what they want to eat from the plates..also thin sliced vegetables(zucchini,celery,cabbage,shrooms,broccoli,onions,ginger,ginkgo nuts,waterchestnuts,bamboo shoots,weird fungus.. :o )..tofu..and about 4-5 bottles of wine(or a bottle per person :lol: )..makes a good leisurely meal.For us..sometimes the after-broth was poured into half a wintermelon boiling hot,cooking the inner melon..and the sides scooped out with the broth.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... Aw&dur=525

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:29 pm

All that food sounds great cooked that way(boiled in wine)

sometimes the after-broth was poured into half a wintermelon boiling hot,cooking the inner melon..and the sides scooped out with the broth.

Now that sounds "tasty, tasty" :cheers:

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:28 pm

I burned some wood today also. Total cost of this thrift store special was 10.00 I did not use the stainless steel fondu thingy. I want to try alcohol in it first to see how it works.

I used a stainless steel pail to hold my water. Had a nice hot bed of coals and then threw some wet twigs in. They dried and burned well.

That thing infront of the stove is a cast iron base to be used instead of the base that came with the stove. Always good to have a backup :mrgreen:

The pot support originally had a round bottom glass bowl in it. I suppose they put marbles in it and then dried flowers stuck into the marbles???? don't know for sure, anyone know what I'm talking about :?

I was just playing with fire :mrgreen:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”