Adding to the mobile motels ;D

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Adding to the mobile motels ;D

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:42 pm

We picked this Kelty Kashmir tent up at our local thrift store for $5. At nine pounds, it will be good for car, motorcycle, and canoe camping.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Re: Adding to the mobile motels ;D

Postby cadyak » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:29 pm

Land of the amazing thrift stores... :D
That thing should handle a nice snow load with the geodesic pole layout.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:38 am

Wowsa, the fabric looks like some really tuff stuff. Good for boy scouts

Show us a photo of your yard with all your tents set up. You posted it here 2 years ago.? :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:12 pm

zelph wrote:Wowsa, the fabric looks like some really tuff stuff. Good for boy scouts

Show us a photo of your yard with all your tents set up. You posted it here 2 years ago.? :D

Like this pic
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:31 pm

Oh yes, that's the one. It's a clear example of what can be found at thrift stores, yard sales and church rummage sales. Realityguy has found some extreme vintage ones up in Seatle. Valuable to the history of lightweight camping/hiking industry. Thanks for finding and posting the photo. If I recall correctly you had family/friends use several of the tents so setting them up was useful.

How many are still in your collection?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:46 pm

I've been continually thinning my herd,sold a few more tents last month(Alpine Meadows Four with vestibule,Eureka Dome,Winchester Trailblazer and ?)..have only a couple Keltys left,the Streamside(for car camping..because it looks like a Moss design)and the Clark(lightweight and convenient enough for backpacking).I just got back from the other house..I stacked up 6 down bags up there.. :lol: !
Most keltys are good tents..except for the weight.I've had several..mostly LARGE ones I resold right away but had a Windfoil 3(4 season).
I can only dream of having enough yard to set up my tents.. :lol: .Hmm..I could at the other house... :roll: ..nah..
Some of them.. http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25 ... 1QQtppZZ20
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:26 pm

RG, you've got the most extensive collection I've ever seen.

Let see if this link works for a slide show:

Lower left is a button to play it "fast" click on it

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd25 ... =slideshow

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:30 pm

:lol: Sorry Dan..guess I didn't remember that many pictures.I should remove the "tent plan frames" but it might screw up another old thread..)I do have some more tent pics in another folder also.A lot of detail pics are just that..for ideas of what manufacturers have done so people can take the best ideas and build their own similar ones... :roll: I'll have to go through the slide show and and see which ones aren't there.PLEASE don't show it to my wife! :shock: :evil: Good thing she doesn't look at this website.. :lol:
The Alpine Meadows 4 with optional vestibule was sold..don't know if was in there.The other(alpine meadows and timberline series) are only worth maybe an old intact fly("maybe" a couple am2s) or the pole parts and will be probably chucked someday.If someone needs some connectors or pole sections,let me know...just the AM2,and T2s.

I know it's not tents..but I had a good TS day yesterday..MSR Firefly
The pump came out on a cart when no other knowledgeable people were around(except my nice ladyfriends.. ;) ..)..so I took a chance that maybe the rest would also..the stove finally did about 4 carts later.I stuck around and picked up an old rattrap rack for a bike and kickstand taped together for $3,a Daniels fishing tool (pliers,scaler,bottle opener,hammer,filet scissors,and other tools on it from 1946 or so) for $1.50 and some other cool stuff.I also picked up a trek mountain bike and this thing below that looks like a cool bunch of ukuleles to me. :shock: ... :lol:
Anybody recognize what type of wood it might be?
I've been building and sold 4 ukuleles in the last few weeks so I haven't been shopping much lately.I guess they've restocked the shelves! :lol: I did get a folding Fuji mountain bike also recently..gotta cleanup a couple bikes today..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:37 pm

Might the wood be Western Cedar? You find the best stuff, Kerry ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:08 pm

The bottom is unfinished..doesn't smell like cedar..I think it's something from South America or somewhere else..It looks to be a different grain than types of cedar....appears denser also..???

Here's a closeup shot... Image

it might be cedar..softer on the unfinished side..but doesn't have the smell when scratched..On the other hand..it probably is 50 years "dry".. ;)

Make a nice hiking stove display shelf..don't you think?!.. :o ... :lol:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”