Yard sale treasure

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Yard sale treasure

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:17 pm

Stumpjumper had a gift for me :DP: upon my return trip to my folks house this weekend. He had to hit the yard sales solo and found a treasure for a few dollars. It is a Snow Lion Glacier Mountain, complete with vestibule ;) Everything about this tent says quality. It is very similar to a North Face tent I own which isn't surprising since one of the owners of Snow Lion moved to hong Kong after Snow Lion folded in 1977 and eventually bought North Face and Sierra Designs. Here are a few pics of the tent setup. The vestibule even has a zippered section in the floor for cooking :o :DBfire:

ImageImageImageImageImage
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Re: Yard sale treasure

Postby realityguy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:55 pm

That's a pretty nifty one!I like the vestibule setup idea...and even has a floor there!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:54 am

The vestibule can be zipped to the door end or the window end. The barrel tabs around the vestibule are wood and not plastic. Seems like they could have made the rain fly to come down further on the sides.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:50 am

Very nice gift, what a pal you got there in stumpjumper :D

The vestibule even has a zippered section in the floor for cooking

It's nice to wake up in the morning and stay in your tent to make a hot cuppa something. The designer had us slow wakers in mind, thank you very much!

Interesting history behind the merging of the companies.

Did you sleep in the tent the evening you set it up? I would have. 8-)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:14 pm

I picked up an REI Ascent(?) today..cheap but got it just for the nice aluminum pole set.I can't seem to find that tent online to see what it is.Unfortunately it smells like it was "rode hard and put away wet".. :roll: ..but..for $6..I got poles and stakes.I'll have to pull it out this afternoon and set it up..see if it is possible to air out ..or washable.It does have everything including instructions..can't understand why I can't find it on the net.. :cry: If you find a picture..post me a link..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Cuz, I could not find any info on a REI Ascent tent :( Is it a dome, half dome, A-frame, or what? Does it have a REI Ascent patch or label on the tent? If you air your tent out and wash it with a vinegar solution and still have odor problems, try spraying it down with Fabreeze. I almost gave up on getting the odor out of my vintage A-frame North Face tent and then I sprayed it down with Fabreeze and let it air out; worked great ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Posted the tent..separate thread..better than I had originally thought..here's an old review of your Snow Lion..(triplex?)

http://books.google.com/books?id=AOADAA ... nt&f=false

Snow Lion Triplex is shown there in 1977..(down the page)

I've been scanning the old backpacker mags on google books for the REI Co-Op Ascent..nothing... :roll:

I also scored a thermarest 3/4 Guide pad for $3 with the bag(Nice!),a set of Norco bike bags for $1,and a HUGE old steel 12" C clamp(CINNCINATTI TOOL CO.) for $3.The C clamp weighs over 8lbs! :shock: What am I going to do with it?..who knows!..but I've got one! :lol:

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:08 am

and a HUGE old steel 12" C clamp(CINNCINATTI TOOL CO.) for $3.The C clamp weighs over 8lbs! What am I going to do with it?..who knows!..but I've got one!

There will come a time when you need one, hang it on the wall of your garage in plain sight. Think of it as an "adjustable" clamp...6-8-10 ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:10 pm

Here are a few pics from the inside. I also noticed both ends have a door thus once the tent is set up, you can decide which end the vestibule works best for your location. The tent is plenty roomy for two people.
ImageImageImageImage
Who says you can't cook inside your tent ;)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:16 pm

My Kelty Windfoil had that same feature...

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”