Thrift Store Treasure

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Thrift Store Treasure

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:35 pm

Picked up a tent i thought was in bad shape,just for the nice aluminum poles..kind of smelled like old PU coatings and maybe put away wet...however... :roll:

REI CO-OP Ascent..Nice tent!Interesting three hoop design with a top pole that stretches the ridge and holds everything in place(easily moved flat by unhooking the top pole).The top pole has a pole pocket at one end,sleeved, and a pin on a cord with a cordlock that goes into the other end.The three hoops have a fixed arch like the center one and go in sleeves and pockets.inside dimensions are 4-6" at the ends and 5' wide at the center hoop X 8' long.The ceiling is 3-6" throughout..The fly is built in(I thought at first it was minus a fly when I saw it jumbled in the bag)
The floor had the smell..but the smell is leaving nicely...
It came complete with instructions and four stakes(plus a couple lagbolts)..4 stakes are enough but six makes it solid..no need to tie out the beaks.
It's interesting that it is labelled as "REI CO-OP"..must give it a definite date I'll have to look into..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Re: Thrift Store Treasure

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:11 pm

"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:24 pm

The Ascent had the instruction sheet with it..labeled the "Instructions for the REI Ascent tent" and the poles they mention are the same configuration.It's the correct instructions.Another "care'"sheet has an address of "1525 11th Avenue"..paperwork is hand typed and copied..so that address should date it to maybe the late 1970s into the 80s or so..I figure.Anodized aluminum poles,material and sewing..should be a better quality tent..maybe early 1980s...
I'm going to leave it setup for a day or two to air out completely.There isn't any damage to the thing..doesn't look like it's been used much at all..I'll try to remember to weigh it when iIget it back in the bag.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:29 pm

You're going to have to dig to find any info on it. The web is not offering much :(
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:45 pm

I do most of my tent info digging in the reviews of the old backpacker magazine..they have 'new tent' issues that list the models and characteristics.Unfortunately they don't carry every issue for every year and only a few select issues per year.you can scour the old ads in the back of the magazines and find the names of the tent models for that year sometimes.I have that yet to do..I'll find it.maybe it's newer than I think.I might check the 1990s.

http://books.google.com/books?id=7-MDAAAAMBAJ&q=

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:53 pm

To me it looks like a knock-off of the Sierra Designs Aireflex from 1979..but that one got good reviews..

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:04 am

Looks like a nice size for guys like me....I need roomy :mrgreen:

Spray it with odor killer Fabreze or something similar.

It's amazing what you can find in garage sales and thrift stores if you look long enough.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:27 am

Zelph, cuz does not have to look long. He probably tripped over two or three to get that one...lol after all, he is in the hiking Mecca of the world :D

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:41 am

The tents I've seen lately have been real garbage,so I haven't bought any..most with 'blue/brown tarp' floors and other cheap crap.I think this one got left because it smelled bad and the way it was wadded up in the bag.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:32 pm

The Ascent weighs in at 7.5lbs including stakes and bags...

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”