Railroad Lamp

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
steamjam

Railroad Lamp

Postby steamjam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:05 am

It's an old railroad lamp. It's alot smaller then my SPRR oil lamp, not to mention much easier to take care of.... Its missing its signaling lens, but I don't think anyone has used one in years (decades). 10 bux left my wallet to get it.. 8-)

zelph

Re: Railroad Lamp

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:56 am

Looks totally well built. Nice rare find....I'll give you 20 bucks for it and I'll pay shipping charges.

How was it used to signal? One if by day, 2 if by night :lol: I have limited knowledge :lol:

What is the current method of signaling?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:37 pm

I've seen several of them in local thrift stores here but they are usually rusty,minus lenses or parts.I might even have one (somewhere in my shelves of crap) but I think I resold it at a swap meet years ago..
I did find one of these that I had forgotten about yesterday.."the modern day replacement"... :roll:
http://thumb-lite.com/

:lol: ...It was new on the hang card with the TS 25 cent sticker on it.Still shines bright!
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:25 pm

Well I'll be darned. The thing still works!

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:44 pm

zelph wrote:Looks totally well built. Nice rare find....I'll give you 20 bucks for it and I'll pay shipping charges.

How was it used to signal? One if by day, 2 if by night :lol: I have limited knowledge :lol:

What is the current method of signaling?

Its not that particularly rare. I just looked on Ebay and there are a dozen or so up for bid for about 20 bux. Just search for "Delta Lantern" If you do, You'll notice that some have a red lens ontop. That's the signaling lens. Mines missing... :( The lamp was meant to be a combination signal and inspection lamp. The handle holds over the side lamp and your supposed to signal with it. Like this:

When inspecting, You use it like this:

there were several lenses you needed get for these.. red, amber, green, blue. These would be used when you wanted to signal other trains, crew members on what your situation was. Ex: if you threw on the blue lens, and left it in the cab turned on at night, all crews on the ground who saw the cab glowing blue through the windows knew the signal that someone is on, under or otherwise working on the engine/train and its not to be even touched.

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks for the insight into signals. I like train stuff :D

Gee, ebay has a lot of the lanterns listed. Not rare as I thought. Humpfff....rats!

Any carbide lanterns laying around the yards? Not miner type, big train type :o

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:49 pm

zelph wrote:Any carbide lanterns laying around the yards? Not miner type, big train type :o

No, but there are several boxes full of broken 4 cell maglites.. :-D I can personally account for one of them which I ran over with the switcher engine... (oops!)

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:20 pm

You're bad!! :mrgreen: not really, they're black and hard to see :mrgreen:

No, but there are several boxes full of broken 4 cell maglites..

I had one go bad on me.....corroded inside to a point I can't even take the end cap off.

I'm sick and tired of batteries leaking and ruining my stuff :twisted:

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”