TS Buy Of The Day..what are they?

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

TS Buy Of The Day..what are they?

Postby realityguy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:32 pm

I got these nice 8" pans for a whole dollah!Nope..not each..for the set of three mesh pans,a lid,and bottom pan..probably $10-15 worth of brass..What are they used for???..one's a #8,one's a #10,and one is a #60... :o ..weighs 5lbs 1oz..of brass or copper..

I think someone got bored and just started hitting everything at a buck on the cart... :DB: :DP:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Re: TS Buy Of The Day..what are they?

Postby zelph » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:45 pm

Nice find. At a buc you stole them :lol:

I would venture to say they were used to "grade" a product. The "finer" the product, the more valuable. An example would be "Saffron"

The white powder remaining around the outer edge of the screen might indicate heroin :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:58 pm

I don't think that is their intended purpose..or should I say I know it isn't.I found them online and buying each pan retail is $155 a piece..I didn't check the lid price or bottom pan yet.. :DB: :DB: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Postby oops56 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:22 pm

zelph wrote:Nice find. At a buc you stole them :lol:

I would venture to say they were used to "grade" a product. The "finer" the product, the more valuable. An example would be "Saffron"

The white powder remaining around the outer edge of the screen might indicate heroin :lol:

yup zelph is right where i work they had them to test dry product size to see if the machine is grinding to right size
Man play with fire man get burnt

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 am

major major find!

A set of those can really set you back some $$$

They have so many uses in labs but they are also nice if you want to calibrate your coffee grinder ;)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:53 am

I was thinking oops might be more right with the measurement being "particulate size" rather than value..some items aren't as valuable as fine powder verses granules.
For coffee grinding..I think I would need a couple more pans. :shock: .I think I'll pass on filling the voids in the screen sizes with retail ones.. :o

Besides..my machines are automatic espressos that won't even grind without them being all assembled first.. :roll:

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:27 pm

realityguy wrote:I was thinking oops might be more right with the measurement being "particulate size" rather than value..some items aren't as valuable as fine powder verses granules.
For coffee grinding..I think I would need a couple more pans. :shock: .I think I'll pass on filling the voids in the screen sizes with retail ones.. :o

Besides..my machines are automatic espressos that won't even grind without them being all assembled first.. :roll:

The set is usually much larger than what you have. That may be the reason you only got a few for the price, or, the previous owner only had need for those particular ranges. So many uses for a diy'er. Another that comes to mind is diy firebrick. One recipe for firebrick calls for store bought pearlite. However, you must grade the pearlite into certain sizes and then recombine them by percent in order for the bricks to be made. Perfect little kit if you are interested at all in stoves like the rocket stove :ugeek:

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:31 pm

These are price listings for a single one of them

http://vwrlabshop.com/vwr-testing-sieve ... p/0012572/

sudden

Postby sudden » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:38 pm

sudden wrote:These are price listings for a single one of them

http://vwrlabshop.com/vwr-testing-sieve ... p/0012572/

Perlite Mix/Clay:
For best results, perlite must be made into a graded mix before it can be combined with clay to form a brick. To prepare this mix, first separate the raw perlite into three component sizes: 3/8� to #4 (9.5 mm to 4.75 mm), #4 to #8 (4.75 mm to 2.36 mm), and #8 (2.36 mm) and finer. Recombine (by volume) two parts of the largest size, one part of the midsize, and seven parts of the smallest size to form the perlite mix. This mix can now be combined with clay and water and formed into a brick, which is dried and fired. Perlite is the mineral obsidian, which has been heated up until it expands and becomes light. It is used as a soil additive and insulating material. Perlite mineral deposits occur in many countries of the world, but the expanded product is only available in countries that have commercial �expanding� plants. Where it is available, it is both inexpensive and plentiful. Perlite/clay bricks are some of the lightest usable ceramic materials.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:58 pm

I found another place today where they are only about $45-50 each and the lid and bottom together adds about $34...I don't know where I looked yesterday that said $155 for two of them each.These do have all brass screens also..
I blew it today..about 5 minutes late for a large crank "lift" style Kitchenaid Mixer for $20(with everything including the pourspout in white)..and an old box of 1950s-60s Athearn train cars and locomotives for $25.I watched a guy pull out an old metal locomotive that had to be worth $50 plus by itself..All the cars and locomotives were in their boxes,probably 25 or so.. :cry: ..but I still spent $47 on other stuff..ukulele books,a double tennis racquet case(that'll hold 4 ukes),Le Cruescent pot,some special brass/glass espresso cups($4 for 4..Beucler/ http://www.etsy.com/listing/99061596/oc ... rass-glass ),and a local Indian salmon stone carving.Yesterday..I did pick up a like-new Arc'Teryx Goretex jacket that fits nice,and a Kodak 10.2 digital camera($20 and $7).The Jacket said small men's..but must be mis-sized because I usually wear a large and it fits great..probably why someone donated it away.(model?..says Goretex Pro Shell,has 3 upper pockets,not two,+one inside,all waterproof zippers.Extra material in the back so you can sit on it,the waist tensioner can be tightened from inside the pockets,plus armpit zippers..nice color..weighs 1lb 2.3oz) :DB: It would be too large for a small.

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”