Yard sale deals

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Ridgerunner

Yard sale deals

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:28 am

Yard sale season is finally in full swing :DP: we picked up an old Coleman lantern for $2 and a ENO (eagle Nest Outfitters) double nest hammock for $2. It has a caribiner on both ends but came with no hanging system. Looks like a project to me :D I'll need to add a bug net and figure out what type of hanging strap system works best? My Speer and DIY hammocks have all incorporated a 12 foot, one inch strap that just wraps around the trees a few times and are tied off. I like that system as there are no pieces to lose. What is the latest recommended simple system that is on the cheap? Straps or cord or both?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

oops56

Re: Yard sale deals

Postby oops56 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:36 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Yard sale season is finally in full swing :DP: we picked up an old Coleman lantern for $2 and a ENO (eagle Nest Outfitters) double nest hammock for $2. It has a caribiner on both ends but came with no hanging system. Looks like a project to me :D I'll need to add a bug net and figure out what type of hanging strap system works best? My Speer and DIY hammocks have all incorporated a 12 foot, one inch strap that just wraps around the trees a few times and are tied off. I like that system as there are no pieces to lose. What is the latest recommended simple system that is on the cheap? Straps or cord or both?

straps are better for the tree
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:06 pm

I think I recall RG using cord in conjunction with straps just around the tree for protection when feisty Rangers are around.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

cadyak

Postby cadyak » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:38 am

Good score for 4$

I never find anything good at yard sales... :D

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:46 pm

I find good stuff but....................I got tooooooo much stuffff! Getting rid of a lot this week, thank goodness. :DB:

Nice find RR. Keep lookin for the big one that you'll be able to retire on. A rare oil painting worth a mil. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

steamjam

Postby steamjam » Sat May 11, 2013 3:24 pm

zelph wrote:I find good stuff but....................I got tooooooo much stuffff! Getting rid of a lot this week, thank goodness. :DB:

Nice find RR. Keep lookin for the big one that you'll be able to retire on. A rare oil painting worth a mil. ;)

Boy do I know that feeling. Being over run by stuff!

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 12, 2013 10:01 pm

Did you get rid of a lot of stuff when you recently moved?

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu May 16, 2013 2:45 pm

I talked my wife out of buying a grandfather clock at one. Now I can buy more stuff.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu May 16, 2013 8:50 pm

sudden wrote:I talked my wife out of buying a grandfather clock at one. Now I can buy more stuff.

:lol: You clever fox!!!!

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri May 17, 2013 4:27 pm

I think I recall RG using cord in conjunction with straps just around the tree for protection when feisty Rangers are around.

I use the treehugger style of about a 3/4 to 1" nylon strap with a loop at one end and a series of loops at the other end..copuple caribiners..just clip it in place...If it needs to tighten,clip it up one more loop..I'm lazy,don't tie knots, and don't really care about the extra little bit of weight of nylon straps.For the rangers..I have some 18" pieces of 2" wide stuff that slips under the other for "tree protection"..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”