Bought me a new Flashlight...

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Re: Bought me a new Flashlight...

Postby realityguy » Sun May 04, 2014 5:48 pm

I cut/mowed grass for two days;got most of it done..then the rains returned so I came home.A windstorm was nice enough to blast off the top 30 feet of an old snag that was too tall to drop in any direction and rotten enough to not really allow climbing.I can NOW fall it and get all my firewood I need for next winter..about 30' worth that is 18" diameter at the top and 24" at the bottom..coastal fir.If I fall it now,it won't reach the highway. :DB:
It started raining yesterday about 2pm and hasn't quit since..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sun May 04, 2014 9:05 pm

Mother nature comes in handy sometimes..glad she was able to help you out. Do you have many shade trees now that you'll be missing one?

Rain in Washington State/Islands/peninsulas :roll: State flower must be the "fern" or mushroom :mrgreen: Have you ever harvested "fiddlebacks" for eating?

Nice source of fire wood you got there..any from your neighbors?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon May 05, 2014 12:14 pm

The state flower is MOSS...especially the species that grows between our toes(Toe-moss).. :lol: In the first four days of this month this year we have had the equivalent of the entire month's normal rainfall.
Keep in mind that the other house is 60 miles from Forks(one of the wettest areas in the country) and 60 miles from Sequim(the driest spot in the NW.. at the same time.The weather is a crapshoot..more "Forksy" in the winter and more Sequimer in the summer.It's right under the NW corner of the Olympic Mountain range..and above a gap to Lake Crescent about 15 miles long.One mile east or west is in the buffer zone of the mountains from the windstorms that whip up Lake Crescent.I need a new trailer canopy tarp this year..The last is in strips I can use for maybe covering single firewood rows.I can't complain..it lasted longer than I expected.The first year I set the canopy up,the wind picked it up along with the 40-50 pounds of concrete on each of the 8 legs and slammed it into the trailer..but that storm also toppled a 3' diameter fir and one at the neighbors to the west..also in the windzone.The wind has snapped off some big trees also about 30' up..but those are rare storms.
I have enough firewood for life on my property up there(and here in town if I wanted to cut any more off this lot),mostly alder and coastal firs.I have enough future smaller trees and large trees that I could probably cut 2-3 cords a year(we burn about 1-1/2 per year) and have a perpetual supply..I only cut-n-haul it that 100 miles back home..if I can't find free firewood off craigs nearby.The last few years I've scored locally where we haven't had to buy any.THIS TIME OF YEAR is a great time to get free firewood off craigs as people start cleaning their yards for the spring.We usually score a few vans full of rounds..then rent a splitter for one day..split and stack and be done for the year.I need about less than a cord more this year..that one snag should do it.
I don't burn much up there,but have a small woodstove in the place..after yardwork or hiking,I'm usually too tired to deal with firewood.If I go in the colder times of year..I'll use the wood stove though.The house is over-insulated and overly airtight,actually has vents in the walls for woodstove air supply and to use the bath/kitchen fans.. and is compact..easy to heat with a small amount of wood.I keep a small pile of firewood there.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”