Bought me a new Flashlight...

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
realityguy

Re: Bought me a new Flashlight...

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:56 pm

I have those two listed on craigs right now at $80 each..,both like new..two responses on the one.....waiting for people to get back.I plan on listing my Kelty Streamside 4($120..like a Moss design..we've used it for one weekend),a SD Pharoah($60),a SD CD Lookout($120),and whatever else I can drag out quick.I did wash the Pharoah body and my SD Starflight..just before the rain hit again...%$#$%$#... :taz:
I still need to pull out the thermarests and get them inflated..and see what I have for down bags..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Don't stop!!! keep going before your wife gets back :lol:

How is that product working out for washing tent fabric?
"Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained" stove store = http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:54 pm

The product seemed to work okay for tents..I just used a "wash" galvanized washtub and a "rinse" galvanized washtub...I washed the starflight that has some PU material(still intact..just ouytgassing)..think I can sleep in it now..It took off quite a bit of the smell.Let's see :roll: ..5 tent washes per bottle..got 20 bottles..Yeah..I can probably get them all done.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:47 pm

Last year I purchase a very little used Eureka Headquarters tent that had the outgassing odor. quite strong. I let it sit set-up in my yard for two weeks to let it air out. The worked pretty good. The tent had been stored in it's original box for many years. The tent material had shrunk over time to a point of making it difficult to assemble to the overhead supporting poles.

Have you noticed shrinkage of tent fabrics?

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:49 pm

I set mine up so rarely and have so many that it is hard to tell if one has shrunk more than others.I do have to set up a eureka of some two man type today and try and figure out what it is for listing it..????..or if it is still worth listing it.
DOES ANYONE KNOW THIS MODEL? Image
The tag on the fly only says "Lightweight"..try goggling lightweight and eureka :roll: ..apparently every tent they have is "lightweight" :( ..Notice it has "sleeves" and before a "clip" design(maybe late 70s-80s?)...Not a bad "lightweight" tent after it gets a bath.I had to pull the fly apart..sticky but still really nice shape...I'll let it air out for a day or 3..and wash it also..and it should be fine..Has it shrunk?..Don't know but it is snug to the poles(poles with hollow ends on "split ring w/peg setup").
I pulled out an older REI Goretex Bivy sack that has the PU(Appropriate name) bottom half on it(Goretex top).It definitely needs airing out..I couldn't imagine being in a bivy bag that size with that stink.. :geek:

zelph

Postby zelph » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:50 pm

I had a difficult time getting the poles to bend and fit into the Ring/peg connectors. Another indication of shrinkage was attaching the suspension clips to the overhead support poles.

The off gassing smell is hard to take. Stuff really stinks

Take your best guess at what the tent name is and list it as Eureka "type" tent :o

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Shrunken fabric that is hard to get the poles in...wet it down first,then put the poles in.It'll stretch..and leave it setup to dry.I bet they'll be a lot easier for "poling" after they dry... ;) I had the washtub filled with water for testing thermarests...so added some "wash" and washed the REI Bivy and a couple hats.The wife is home..so the tents are put back away..but THE SUN IS OUT!Supposed to hit 80 over the next couple days.I'm heading up to the other house in a couple days to probably "beach dry" some tents and wash a surfboard or two...and mow that gawd awful lawn that hasn't been touched for 5 months...$#@#$#... :shock: :? :evil: It might take me a while... 8-) ..unless it starts raining again.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:54 pm

Well fun days for you are a coming. I bet you get in a day or 2 of hiking the beaches ;)

Are there offshore breezes coming in all the time? Have they been finding radioactive trash from japan on your shorelines.?

Does dew collect on your grass so that you have to wait for it to dry off before cutting?

Has that wash product affected your skin....dried it out??? Waterproofed it? :mrgreen:

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm assuming because the "wash" is made for Goretex and other waterproof membranes it should be pretty gentle..I haven't seen any problems..We do get Japanese trash..but i haven't taken a geiger counter with me..I suppose you could probably walk the beaches at night and look for glowing objects. :roll:
I crawled in the Eureka tent and Poki-boy followed in right after and checked it out..looks like I have another tent cat.It's set up on bark chips..I think the floor needs some waterproofing...Each box of wash comes with waterproofing solution..probably enough for a tent floor.I'll have to wash that one today and try the waterproofing spray...

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri May 02, 2014 8:28 pm

Poki-boy.....nice to have friend to follow you around :D

Thanks for the feedback on that product. Good to know!

Would be nice to find a glowing glass fish net float :mrgreen:

did you get the grass cut?

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”