$8.00 Goodwill Find

What have you found in the thrift stores that you can modify or use as is?
Furry_Daddy

$8.00 Goodwill Find

Postby Furry_Daddy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:16 am

I don't know if its an actual L.L. Bean Wide A like the owner's manual says or a re-badged Eureka of some kind? Anyone know? It has a solid cross fitting for the curved leg braces/fly end and two doors!

Peeled off the bad seam tape and I am now seam sealing it. Looks like a great tent.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T7LHYr0Vhfpy1SRX2

zelph

Re: $8.00 Goodwill Find

Postby zelph » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Wow, doesn't get any better than that. I very seldom see a good deal on tents at the GW. I find tent poles and plastic stakes, that's about it :-(
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:58 pm

Nice find furry-daddy. I have several like yours but I believe mine are all Eurekas. Spray it down good and get it ready for spring ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Furry_Daddy

Postby Furry_Daddy » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 am

I called LL Bean and the lady just flat out said that their records are not kept up - so I am on my own. I have already started the process of seam sealing all the places where the tape used to be (and I pulled ALL of it off) I do about 2'-3' a day and have it strung out on a long table with lots of tension at the ends. I give it gentle rub of 90% Isopropyl Alchol, dry it then use a c-clamp to hold the other end tight. I wait 24 hours and do the next 2'-3' or so. When this is over, I plan on giving the fly a gentle wash with Woolite and cold water. Then it will be air dried and a full treatment of waterproofing to the outside. It should be bomb-proof after this. I will post more pictures as I can. The owner's manual is pretty cool. I hope to keep this tent on a long time since my 7' cot looks like it will fit just fine. Of course, could cut off 6" of each end........... :DB:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 pm

When I made the rainfly to my Speers DIY hammock kit, I had one long center seam to seal. I used a solution of silicone mixed with mineral spirits and brushed it on the seam. It has lasted a good ten years or longer.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

Furry_Daddy

Postby Furry_Daddy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:37 am

Ridgerunner - What is the model name of the Eureka(s) that look like mine? I am trying to collect information about this tent and secure a possible supplier of tent poles is high on my list.

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:09 am

It is a Eureka Timberline 2, I believe. The pole configuration is slightly different than yours.

Furry_Daddy

Postby Furry_Daddy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:39 pm

Uploaded new pictures showing the owner's manual.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/T7LHYr0Vhfpy1SRX2

Return to “Amazing Thrift Store Treasures”