tent challenge

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
irrationalsolutions

Re: tent challenge

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:37 am

thats a good idea about the kids tent i didnt think of that. i never look at them since most have cars or something like that on them i just stop looking once i see the words junior or kids. i'll have to look into it. i'm 5'7" and he is 5'11" but he is only going to spend one night in it i have to keep it. i was thinking it would make a good back-up. or my little brother could use it when he comes he hates hammocks. i read some of the stuff on those marine tents and it said something about them being damaged. this is a good project the more i think about it since i was thinking about making a tent just to see if i could do it. it will give me some more practice.

i was thinking about trying a army poncho as the fly. my thinking is that if i put a tie out on the bill of the hood i could keep it turned over and the whole in the top might help with condensation. plus it could be multi use! :D what are your thoughts on this? also what are your thoughts on a footprint? i've never gotten or made one so i really dont know. i have had something come through the bottom of a tent on me once but it was my fault for not checking the camp site first and i dont think a footprint would have helped.

and i dont know if i want to use this tent or not but i won one on ebay for $1. now i have to see if the guy is really going to send it for that. i'll keep ya'll up to date on this as i know more.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

footprint and Tarp/Poncho?

Postby hoz » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:35 am

In bad weather I'd rather protect my bag and myself than the bottom of my tent. I use an "innie" not an "outie" so maybe it's a "sock" instead of a footprint. My usual choice is a piece of that plastic from Lowes that they give away at the front door to tie over your load. I cut it slightly larger than my tent bottom and it usually scrunches up inside the bag with the tent.

Ponchos for shelter sounds good. Here is a good looking design but doesn't fit into your 40 dollar guideline. Maybe there is a link on the net somewhere on how to make one.

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=45

Props to Mags, I found the link on his site.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:21 am

I was/am looking to use some of the polyester ripstop from the WalMart bargain bin fabrics section for an add on vestibule for my No-Limits Twin Rocks tent from Academy Sports. But as to the "footprint" there are some decent videos on making them in and among all the DIY Gear sites. Almost all of them say to make the footprint 2"-3" smaller than the floor of the tent to keep runoff rain from being directed under the floor.
Mine looks exactly like this one.Image
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:11 pm

alright i got the $1.00 tent from ebay in today. it an Academy Broadway 10105. right now its too nasty to set up today so i cant really see how big it feels inside yet. i'm still looking around to see if i can find another one cheap but so far this one shat it. i dont have digital scales here but its a lot lighter than i thought it would be so thats a plus.

SSDD

Postby SSDD » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:46 am

Maybe this will help

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=193964

I hope you win ;)

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:49 am

SSDD wrote:Maybe this will help

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=193964

I hope you win ;)

I would think that this one would be much better for the same $$
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/c ... 16998&pn=1
Plus I've seen it on sale for as low as below $10 before. Should have gotten one then.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:59 pm

I think Eddie Bauer was a Target sindicated brand. (Or was it K-Mart????)

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:06 pm

to my understanding Eddie Bauer is its own thing but target carries some of there stuff.

DaddyMnM

Postby DaddyMnM » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:51 pm

Eddie Baurer is an independent brand and is named after it's founder. The company has an interesting history:

http://investors.eddiebauer.com/about/history.cfm

Return to “Shelter Skelter”