Okay..I put the other tent on hold while I played with different sewing ideas I wanted to test before actually putting the original thing together.I used the scraps from the longer pieces on the other slightly larger tent made from the string form..added some strips I had left over..I set up the back end and made a front "vestibule"(not really,just part of the tent sleeping area..called that to separate it from the rest) by using a string pattern to match up the front half with the back and yto get the dimensions somewhat right.By using the string,I really could make a front without a top seam and out of one piece rather than two and sewing the top;saving me possible leaks and hassles sewing.
I still plan on adding a small triangular vent on the nondoor side of the front vestible with a piece of bendable wire on the bottom edge of the cover to help hold a "hood " shape..and thinking about a bugscreen door sewn into the front "trek pole" line,velcroed on the other two sides.I already have velcro across the bottom of the door which attaches to the tarp-screen and makes it bug tight when the door is closed..Zipper was $2.50(1/2 price day) out of a Star Wars kid's sleeping bag. I used 8" of bug screen for the perimeter and have added a couple floor tie-outs to the stakes at the lower end to stretch it out better to full width(after pitching the thing for the pictures).
Setup is easy..throw it out of the stuff sack,stake out the two widest center points(floor controls the width)..stake out the rubber snubbered bottom center stake.Then use a trek(or ski) pole for the front end stake with the pole angled about 8" above the top tie-out..wrap the cord around the handle a couple times and stake out the loop at the other end of the cord pretty tight.Then insert the pole in the bottom end pocket under the tieout at the bottom end..stretch out the two bottom end side tie-outs with the two bottom floor ones also to stretch out the bottom corners of the floor full width.Stake the two midpoints on the sides.Adjust everything for tighter by changing pull angles,etc...takes about 3 minutes to set up ready to use.I didn't really do adjusting before the pictures...
Height..I can sit up in it..but against the ceiling at the peak.The height is adjustable by adjusting the side points in and the tie-outs higher all the way around.I plan on probably making some gutter nail longer aluminum stakes to pitch it higher and lighten the load.I figure i can get it down to 1lb 8oz with some other stakes.
Room inside..shows sleeping bag,pair of boots and a full Golite pack..plenty of room for me in the bag also.The bottom end height is a tad low,but if I pitch the tent higher, shouldn't be a problem.I plan on using this for warm summer hiking 99% of the time anyway.
I could tie-out the top to an overhead branch and eliminate the trek pole..but I have bad knees so will be packing one or two anyway.
The tent stuff sack is 3" diameter by 14"(length of the bottom end pole set at about 45 degrees into the dirt.I could shorten that pole(and stuff sack) to about 10" and set it vertical instead..I just haven't messed with that yet.I plan on a separate case outside the pack) for the stakes to eliminate damage to the tent while packing them...gutter spikes have sharp points.
Problems while making:
1)DON'T use white thread(unless it's a white tarp!!!)..looks like crap!..especially zig-zag or chicken scratch stitching!MATCH the color of the material for the best overall appearance,especially if the machine/sewing isn't the greatest or rushed!
2) Bug screen for tarptents..I used 8" wide strips..not wide enough!Make it a minimum of 12"!
As it is,It's pretty tight and the floor doesn't really "bathtub" much until a body is in it..12" gives you a LOT more leeway!I'll try it like it is..but if it doesn't seem like enough width,there's a whole lot of stitching to yank out to redo it!This is for wamr summer camping,no plans on using it with any chance of foul weather if I can help it!It might work fine pitched low at the back end.
3)Sewing the screen to the upper tent...It was sewn right to the edge over the doubled seam.The bugscreen attachment would be better in a couple inches from the seamed edge for a good drip overhang..at least 2" or better
.I don't know if the rain will wick down through the screen onto the floor of the tent.I added the two side tie-outs also later on top to pull the edge out more at midspan;covers the mesh now okay but it may wick under.With a couple inches of overhang,it for sure wouldn't
be a problem.
Anyway..I learn by experimenting and experiences(usually bad ones )
..and that's what this was..mostly just scraps from the other tent I'm planning.The floor (2-1/2yds) was a remnant at about 30 cents a yard.The main body was scraps.The vestible portion was about 2yards from another odd colored piece.The mesh was about a 2-1/2 yard piece at $1.00 a yard.Stakes I had,$2.50 for the zipper and 99 cents for 36" of velcro..The tie-out nylon was $1 for a LARGE roll...all thrift store stuff.Even the trek pole is a shock absorber ski pole at $2(got a pair).The cord was a large roll for $1.Thread was a thrift store buy at $1 for 4-5 spools.
All together I figure I've got $13-15 into the thing..not counting the cost for new gutter spikes..Dang!And thought I had those already!I'll have to look around some more...