designing tents..measurements..etc...3d mockup

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
DarenN

Re: designing tents..measurements..etc...3d mockup

Post by DarenN » Sat May 30, 2009 1:11 am

what? there can be a problem with the nut on the pivot bolt of the foot pedal? i've been through three machines and i've never had a problem........... wait just a minute here..... oh that nut. :lol:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat May 30, 2009 1:21 am

Other than the nut.. :mrgreen: ..I did have a problem the other day with the pedal sticking full throttle..that's fun! :o I pried the thing open and worked with it for a spell..didn't give me any more problems.
Fortunately when it stuck..I wasn't in the middle of serious sewing..a runaway sewing machine can do some serious damage.... :shock:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:55 pm

First things first. Read the owners manual/instruction book :D

When setting it up just use the manual wheel to turn by hand and watch the parts move. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Okay..the tent made out of scraps(mostly)...

I need to find some longer gutter stakes(going today to a roofing/gutter company) so I can pitch the tent higher when needed ..excellent ventilation that way(one picture shows it pitched higher).Upper vent is in..however I need to add a cord lock,grommet,and some shock cord to the small pole holding out the vent so I can open and close it from the inside,idea is in my head yet,just shown with the short pole wedged in there.Pictures inside and outside of the vent.
This can be pitched high or low..I'll probably use a half thermorest although a long one will fit with just the corners hanging over the mesh.Me inside..I can sleep on my side with my arm extended..have 2' below my feet,and my hand not touching the vestible end..comfy!I can sleep a little to one side and there is room for the pack,boots and other gear,no problem.
Overall length is 9' for the tent(except for stake outs),54" wide...Probably about 36" high inside(variable with the pitch).The floor will "bathtub" some with weight of a body,thermorest, or gear...more so when pitched high.
Total weight with the stakes,poles(12" bottom end pole and vent 6"pole),10' cord,and 8 stakes(when pitched high,I need the trek pole out of the vestible end strap and a longer stake there..trekpole sinks in alongside as shown in the picture.8 or 9" gutter stakes run about 1/2ounce apiece from weight of ones I have already=4oz) is 1lb 8oz with the stuff sack for the tent,everything but the trek pole.The stakes I will be keeping in a hard case outside the pack,figure 1 more ounce for the hard case.
I figure the gutter stakes will cost about 50-75 cents each..might get 20..probably cost me as much as the rest of the tent! :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Total weight with the stakes,poles(12" bottom end pole and vent 6"pole),10' cord,and 8 stakes(when pitched high,I need the trek pole out of the vestible end strap and a longer stake there..trekpole sinks in alongside as shown in the picture.8 or 9" gutter stakes run about 1/2ounce apiece from weight of ones I have already=4oz) is 1lb 8oz with the stuff sack for the tent,everything but the trek pole.The stakes I will be keeping in a hard case outside the pack,figure 1 more ounce for the hard case.
Well that turned out super nice(1lb 8oz). Nice job and nice price. Yeah, looks good!!!! plenty of room.

Mostly scraps!!!!!! that's better :mrgreen:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 pm

The other one I had planned in the beginning of this thread..12" wider all the way through,strip down the middle..more tent on the back end,sides,higher peak.It's still in some 1/2 sewn pieces,and needs assembly.It's longer with a separate vestible/mesh curtain across the middle.I think I know NOW how I really want to sew it all together...after doing this one.
I was going to have the zipper cover strip on the original side piece but needed to somehow add in the center curtain,probably to the back end portion first..with the vestible sewn in after that.Now I think it's easier to make and add the zipper cover as a separate one as I did with this tent,eliminating a lot of figuring for excess..how to do this and that..simplifying things for the larger tent AND in future ones.It's seems to be a lot easier just to make a cut for the zipper,double the edges,sew the zipper in..then sew the cover over on one side and a few spots of velcro for double protection on the loose edge..should be well watertight that way.
I may try sewing some more of the other top end together tonight..but I think I need more velcro and a couple of 42" zippers(outside and center mesh curtain)..Hmm..maybe I should go shopping.. :lol: :mrgreen:
I've got to go look at a few weeks or a month's+ of work tomorrow,pretty close to the roofing place that should have the right longer gutter spikes(Lowes and HD don't)so I'll get those tomorrow.
I don't think I'm going to get any tent sealing done this week...

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:41 pm

Nice work RG. The weight is great. It's amazing how, when you put your mind to something you can accomplish anything with a little effort and all for just a few dollars. :lol: :DP:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:19 pm

The other one I had planned in the beginning of this thread..12" wider all the way through,strip down the middle..more tent on the back end,sides,higher peak.It's still in some 1/2 sewn pieces,and needs assembly.It's longer with a separate vestible/mesh curtain across the middle.I think I know NOW how I really want to sew it all together...after doing this one.
Well let's not have any grass grow under your feet while waiting to get to the next segment :mrgreen:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Well let's not have any grass grow under your feet while waiting to get to the next segment :mrgreen:
Sneak-a- peek..Needs some more work..zipper covers.rework the floor,rework some tie-outs,add the vent/cover to the peak of the vestible,inside rear vent cover..minor stuff..ladder sew the tie-outs...

uses 1-15" pole at the foot(changing that to a triangle shape rather than square and two poles) and a 12" one that ties two trek poles at the peak to maintain the 12" width..9 stakes.5-6' of cord..has two doors,one on each side of the vestible..optional height and width pitch..trying to keep it to 2lbs..see how it goes...

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:48 pm

its looking really good! keep it up!
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”