designing tents..measurements..etc...3d mockup

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
DarenN

Re: designing tents..measurements..etc...3d mockup

Post by DarenN » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:55 pm

what??!?? :o i got a better geal on something than you did, RG? :o i paid $1 each for mine. ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:50 pm

Just a little note here for what it's worth about thread. I had a problem with thread breakage at the eye of the needle. It was because of the direction of the twist of the thread. Read about it:

http://www.juki.com.sg/Libary/Knowledge ... Thread.pdf

Twist of the sewing thread
Twist of the sewing thread is normally carried out by doubling 2
to 3 yarns and applying left twist (called second twist) to the
yarns after applying right twist (called first twist) of single yarn.
The reason is that return of the twist due to the rotaion of the
hook should be protected and that in case of normal stitching,
the form becomes stable since friction between needle eyelet
and thread is small and return of twist of thread is difficult to
move. On the contrary, when the right twisted thread is used in
normal stitching, friction between needle eyelet and thread is
large, and the twist is easy to move. Then, the thread loop in
the state of return of twist is formed, resulting in stitch skipping
or thread breakage.
To distinguish the twist direction, although the right twist is called S twist and the left twist Z twist, when
picking up the thread with thumb and first finger of your right hand, the twist line flowing from upper left to
lower right along the thumb is seen if it is the right twist. On the contrary, when holding it with your left hand,
the twist line flowing from upper right to lower left is seen if it is the left twist.
3. Numbering of the thread thickness
Thread
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Holy crap!..now I'll have to get out the binoscope! ... :o .I'm so blind I can barely make out the needle!How am I supposed to see that? :lol:
If I have the "wrong way" thread..can I take it back? :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:43 am

No refunds :o
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:37 pm

Sorry Zelph..haven't had time to finish this tent or checking the direction of the thread..too busy polishing my new stove... :mrgreen:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

oops56

Post by oops56 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:03 pm

realityguy wrote:Sorry Zelph..haven't had time to finish this tent or checking the direction of the thread..too busy polishing my new stove... :mrgreen:
I guess its to late to say this a new bras stove come with a clear liqueur on them so look close the brass be a little tarnish in color a bight shine has no protection on it
Man play with fire man get burnt

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:12 pm

I guess its to late to say this a new bras stove come with a clear liqueur on them so look close the brass be a little tarnish in color a bight shine has no protection on it

Don't worry,oops!I just did the one spot that looked really ugly and I can touch up the lacquer to match... ;)

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:30 pm

Okay..here's both of them side by side..the original idea and the 'scrap tent'...

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:44 pm

It's basically done..need to cut a bunch of threads off,make the inside vent cover for the back..that's it...

I remodeled the back to a triangular shape..redid the center curtain...added 'expansion triangles in the corners for a better "variable pitch"..added elastic stretch cord and hooks to the floor ties for better stretching of the floor( elastics need to be tightened in the pictures).
Good size dirt floor vestible,two doors instead of one for ventilation,views, and easy access for more than one person.One door can be pitched straight out and up for more cooking room out of the rain.The support system is an optional two leki poles with an 11" cross pole(shown.. has a couple velcro straps inside the top to attach to the cross pole,not attached in the pictures.The Lekis have a 'strap hole' that fits the pole..I cheated and used it. :mrgreen: and can flex the bottoms apart as wide as needed ),two exterior trek poles,or an over head line or tree branch(outside tie-outs on top).
One short tie-out line(2-3') in the back is all that is needed(I need to adjust the other two tie-out beak points back there).The front vestible stakes support the front..nothing really to trip over..
Zippered center curtain with velcro across the bottom..zippers on the two doors with spots of velcro for double protection....
2 bedrooms,1-1/2 baths... :lol:

Can I please quit sewing now? :cry: ..you slave drivers!

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:30 pm

it looks like you have a couple good options there!

since you are doing such a good job you cant stop you have to keep sewing! :lol:
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”