designing tents..measurements..etc...3d mockup

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
Ridgerunner

Re: designing tents..measurements..etc...3d mockup

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:42 pm

Turned out REAL nice, RG. You have to be feeling a good sence of accomplishment. Job well done. Onward to the next project........??????? How about your own backpack rain poncho????
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:45 pm

that looks great! good job!! you could cook a lot of eggs in that big vestibule! ;)

i say we let RG have a break from sewing. he needs to go for a hike and try out the new tent. ;) whatta ya say IRA? lets let him off for a couple days! :mrgreen:

your tent is way more complex than mine. to be honest, i probably wouldn't even start a project that huge. the Night Wing was enough work for me! that said, i just mailed off a money order to Quest Outfitters for ten yards of 1.1oz silnylon so i can build a lighter Night Wing. :lol: a winter project.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:02 pm

Let's just say..I got carried away... :o ..and had LOTS of thread...Now you know why I was talking about a humungeous bobbin... :lol: .
I wanted something pretty bombproof also.I don't recommend making ANYTHING with a middle curtain or ANY curtain inside..what a PITA! :roll:
I saw different ideas for different things..and added them in there.
Variable pitch..is a PITA also..I did a lot of thread yanking and head scratching to make things that would flex,stretch,or just plain work out...
I Have to give the wife her dining room back also..after a thorough cleaning... :o
Next sewing project?..maybe not for awhile..but this looks simple and interesting.--->

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gos ... e_One.html
I've thought a lot of a one pole tent in the corner or middle of one side and flowing off that..
I might revamp a tarp for the teepee tent floor..add some mesh..nothing complicated fpr awhile.
Keeping things simple is probably a better idea,Daren.I more than likely won't do something like this again...lot of frustration...I hate a project that takes all the fun out of it. :cry:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:22 pm

well if you insist, i guess he can have a break. he does need to enjoy his work. ;)
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:34 pm

realityguy wrote:...I hate a project that takes all the fun out of it. :cry:
you hit the nail on the head there RG. building kayaks is mine right now. i'v got a kayak in the shop, unfinished, over two and a half years now since i started it. i've built too many and the joy is gone.

sewing? i can't even bring myself to sew a bag for the pegs and poles right now! :lol: and it's only a few days till i leave on another week-long kayak trip!! :o

not sure i like the looks of the G-Gear tent, but the weight is sure good! i do like the looks of the Contrail, though. ;)
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:45 pm

I'd like to have two that weigh about 1-1/2 lbs max..I may have to gear up a second person and one more in that weight bracket would fill the void.The larger tent is a good one for a couple or really comfy single.It should work well for off-season also..3 season +..I'll have to get it out in some really foul weather and see what kind of condensation problems it might have.
One more thing..I'd like to design something with a decent amount of room,easy to put together and pitch,with a minimum waste of materials used.
This style of tent does waste material(unless you use the extras for a second smaller tent like I did. ;) ..) If I build another,I'll build it with those above features in mind.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy