Gonna try....

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
JBRanger

Gonna try....

Post by JBRanger » Thu May 06, 2010 7:35 am

I'm gonna try and make a underquilt for my hammock. I'll be using the KAQ instructions from hammockforums. Wish me luck!

zelph

Re: Gonna try....

Post by zelph » Thu May 06, 2010 10:52 am

I wish you the best........may your seams be straight as an arrow :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu May 06, 2010 5:54 pm

let us know how it turns out. like i told you before i have a bag to make one out of but havent started it yet.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu May 06, 2010 7:39 pm

Good Luck JBRanger. I can't wait to see your success! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

jounderw

Post by jounderw » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 pm

How did it all end up. I am currently looking for any ideas on how to make one and would like to see if its even worth my time and energy or if I should just go out and buy one. Hopefully you can post some pictures and offer some advice.

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:32 am

Still saving my pennies. Got other things pending. I'll most likely stop by JoAnns fabrics in the next few days to check on fabric to see what I can get.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:14 pm

You may want to check out the "Seattle Fabrics" website for ripstop material.Our Joann's doesn't carry any good amterial for outdoor purposes in this neck of the woods.Seattle fabrics specializes in boating and outdoor activities for fabric..probably have everything you'd need...at a cost of course...
I started making one out of an old bag..but she put up one heck of a fight :lol:..but I found a couple holes in the inner down bag material..and put the project aside..barely started. I was cutting the bag in half,reshaping the edges,then sewing it backtogether with the edges rolled,pinned,and resewn...a real hassle keeping from getting feathers all over the place.I've since gotten a roll of edge trim that is prefolded and doubled on the edges that may make it easier to pin and finish the project.I'll probably use nylon strapping on the ends and add a couple clips to that and on the outside of the hammock at the mesh/zipper lines that work with the ends of the UQ.I'll probably add something across the center point attached on both outside edges to hold it out at that point and snuggable to the sides of the hammock.
Plastic clips are quick,cinchable ones even better..with little weight added.The UQ will hopefully add 1lb or so,probably more like 1.5lbs.
Bear in mind..I don't winter camp and sleep in hammocks then either..so the project may never get completed.if I get boared this winter..it may get done.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Yea, I checked Nola Imports and they have SIL-Nylon for $3.00/yard, 10 yard min. I just wanted to check local places first before I pulled the trigger.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:04 pm

I'll have to check them out..what weight is it(per yard)?

Got a link?..I tried googling "nola Imports" and all I got were Mardi Gras beads for getting flashed boobies.. :shock:

:lol:

(*I foresee a sudden surge on google... :o *) ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Post by sudden » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:55 pm

realityguy wrote:I'll have to check them out..what weight is it(per yard)?

Got a link?..I tried googling "nola Imports" and all I got were Mardi Gras beads for getting flashed boobies.. :shock:

:lol:

(*I foresee a sudden surge on google... :o *) ;)

it's imports not implants :lol:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."