Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Re: Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Post by realityguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:22 pm

:mrgreen:

While that third sober guy is trying to dig his sooty toploading woodstove out of his pack without getting black..Now that might do it! :DB: :DP: :DB:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:55 pm

RG;
you're in an awful good mood today! bored, maybe? ;) [it's hot here too!]
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:12 pm

I don't know..trying to figure out what I'll be doing this weekend.My back has been tweaked out since monday and I can finally feel like I can move or hike again...although I don't know if I'm going to this weekend. :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:54 pm

Use your sweat lodge to cure your aches and pains :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:21 am

Cuz, give the back the weekend off just for good measure. ;) Start your new pack project!
Sewing in a floor..some people don't want floors..well.. sewing in the floor to me means that it is bugproof
Most importantly, snake proof! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:58 am

Around this neck of the woods where I hike.. the snakes have two legs and would walk through the door... ;)

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:41 pm

I was looking at a our 2 person dome style tent today....it's set up in our back yard. We did a complete waterproofing of it and will spend the night in it to see how well it rpels water and see how it condenses water on the inside. It's suppose to rain a little tonight for a good starter test.

Anyway!!!.......the tent has 3 fiberglass poles that support the tent on the outside. I say get rid of the poles and use one aluminum extending pole on the inside to form a tipi style. On the inside sew 4 small pockets made of heavy duty webbing to receive two 1/4" fiberglass rods to spread the top of the tent somewhat to give more head room and better support for the rain fly if needed/used. I dislike with a passion tents that have jointed bunggy cord fiberglass poles that have to pushed thru sleeves on the surface of the tent. Yuk!!!!!!

This tent is one from my father-in-law so my wife wants to keep it and use it once in a while. She spent the time to redo the waterproofing. I don't dare customize it :lol:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:05 pm

If it has three poles,it's a hexagon shape and would come out just like my tipi if cut..Make sure the wife carries the tent to the campsite from the car every time..After packing that 10lb tent several times..she'll get the hint! ;)
You'll need 3 poles inside also..2 won't do...You'll have 2 floppy corners.You could change it to clipstyle by cutting off or folding over the sleeves..and adding clips alongside the sleeves(or on the folded sleeves) at appropriate places to allow the clips to hold the tent rather than the sleeves..and to keep the fly off the tent..leave the end pockets in place.Stake out the floor,place the looped poles in the end pockets..and clip it up.throw the fly over it..done.
Try weighing the fly..figure about 2oz per 27sq feet of floor(56 total sq feet more than likely..7' across the flats,8' corner to corner..5-6 oz)...add about 2-3oz for the screen doors and zipper...add 3oz for stakes=weight of fly + 12oz is about the finished weight if you use trek poles.add 1lb if you don't.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:47 pm

You could change it to clipstyle by cutting off or folding over the sleeves..and adding clips alongside the sleeves(or on the folded sleeves) at appropriate places to allow the clips to hold the tent rather than the sleeves..and to keep the fly off the tent..leave the end pockets in place.Stake out the floor,place the looped poles in the end pockets..and clip it up.throw the fly over it..done.
Try weighing the fly..figure about 2oz per 27sq feet of floor(56 total sq feet more than likely..7' across the flats,8' corner to corner..5-6 oz)...add about 2-3oz for the screen doors and zipper...add 3oz for stakes=weight of fly + 12oz is about the finished weight if you use trek poles.add 1lb if you don't.
Sounds like RG has a DIY project for your sewing machine in the garage. :lol: Of course, that would be AFTER the 18' teepee project on the priority list, ehh? :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:02 pm

RG, when you have time give some thought to doing an 18' diameter titpi for me, I'll furnish the materials..........if you can find the time ;)