Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
Ridgerunner

Re: Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue May 25, 2010 11:22 pm

That is one heck of a root ball. :o What are the green sea creatures? The other pic looks like some kind of starfish.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue May 25, 2010 11:38 pm

sea anemones ...http://www.google.com/search?q=sea+anem ... =firefox-a

I don't know why the crabs all gathered around that stick...????... :o
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed May 26, 2010 6:15 am

realityguy wrote:sea anemones ...http://www.google.com/search?q=sea+anem ... =firefox-a

I don't know why the crabs all gathered around that stick...????... :o
I thought that is what they were but couldn't remember the correct pronounciation.

CRABS? are they edible crabs.....looked like some kind of starfish to me. (I lead a sheltered midwestern life :oops: :lol: )
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed May 26, 2010 10:41 am

realityguy, Nightmares?

I don't have nightmares. Our logs were at least as big or bigger. And there was also a beach entirely of rocks the size of my fist, moving under us. We got across, because if you can lift your knees as high as a drum major while carrying a full pack and cover ground, we got across. That was the beach with the rocks in the water going out in the undertow and coming back on the waves. But the rocks out of the water were moving so much, if you stood still you got sucked down.

Sweet dreams, if you think you are going to hike that treacherous section!

I sincerely believe it was a miracle we lived.

As for Henry Shires, I wasn't making a jab. He has published patterns for some of his early tent designs.

I thought it was a modified Henry Shires. Now, I see your Beach Chalet does so much more, it is a lanai!

Deck chairs are de rigor.

That is one sweet tipi. And thank you for the dimensions, I think
figure a roll about 3" in diameter by15".
inches? Oh, that's the packed size.

I really do want to know. Alas, I do not have a thread injector. But someone must have.

I am 5'6" and I do want to be able to stand up and move around some inside the winter "hunter's camp".

The fact is, it is all about fine art landscape photography for me. I need room to "unbend" and room for my gear.
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed May 26, 2010 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Wed May 26, 2010 10:51 am

I would also like to know how well the tipi stands up to high winds.

Indian tipis have the poles tied from the apex down to a strong deep stake in the ground.

I saw a Kelty metal pole, I think, about $25-$30 at REI with a metal tie-down loop almost at the pointed end of the tent pole, that looks like a good design idea.

Don't your trekking poles have wrist loops at the handle end? That could be used for a tie-down, but maybe, because of the smaller overall size this tipi will shed the winds? I know I wouldn't let the air get under it. Use dirt or debris.

I would use snow. The snow will not adhere to nylon. Snow stakes may require an ice axe to get them back out! I bury sticks of wood and I use stout twine that will rot, if I cannot get them back out.
Last edited by ConnieD on Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed May 26, 2010 11:12 am

All those miles and no glass floats :?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed May 26, 2010 11:31 am

Connie..I do have an inside loop of nylon strap to tie stuff to,including the leki wanderfreud poles i use with the modified loop handles I've posted before...The center sleeve would be a problem for the tiedown idea to link the poles,but it fits pretty tight and the staked edges hold it down pretty well.I won't really know until I get it out into some heavy winds.I can add some mid-height tie-off points as I mentioned above if it appears to be any kind of a problem.
Most places I'd use the tipi will be well forested and not so windy....More than likely it won't be used in alpine meadows or bare beaches.I have too many other tents for that.I'm a summer camper...
I did take two tents up and left them there to use in the park,a Kelty Clark and my Early Winters Goretex Moonwing.I'm dying to get a good shot of the Moonwing setup with surf in the background...It just looks like it belongs there!..probably at Toleak or Shi-shi...
All those miles and no glass floats :?
:cry: ..Believe me I looked carefully;that's what took so long!..I could have filled a pickup bed with metal and plastic ones.As I was walking back,some group was picking up all the plastic bottles and other crap but leaving the floats..just too much to carry up three miles of boardwalks,I guess.
Once again,beyond Sand Beach,my tracks were the only ones in there..on a saturday.. :roll: I was hoping to run into a couple from Calgary(http://www.nwhikers.net) that were supposed to be camping in there to set up an upper section thru-hike over the next couple days..but they must have went with just the Ozette Loop Trail instead..or something else..Oh well.
Yesterday I was going to go in at Shi-shi and walk down to Seafield Creek and back out..just to complete that upper section for me.I'm minus about 2-3 miles of cliffs and beaches in the middle..but the weather looked ugly and a mountain hike(Mt. Muller..about 20 minutes from my place there) was also out of the question because they were in the clouds(no views)..came home instead.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 am

At least you had fun looking for the globes, good eye training :D

Check out the tie outs used on the tent that Ordin Aryguy used when he tried out his DIY wood burner.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=882&start=20#p26113
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu May 27, 2010 1:52 am

That tent is a bit "over the top"..really.. :lol: ..that thing is huge..got a slight leak around the chimney though.. :o

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu May 27, 2010 5:53 am

I saw that. I think those tie-outs are to make more room in the interior.

Tipi walls do limit the interior space, that is why people think they like the modern 2-man or 3-man tipis, until they realize the want to walk around inside, and then, they want a 4-man or 5-man modern tipi.

This is why I asked for the measurements, from realityguy because at 5'7" he can stand up inside his tipi.

I want to stand up: I said "unbend" but I only want roominess for me and some gear. I do not want to live in it.

However, there are hunter's who spend weeks, or months, in their "hunter's camp" as "packers" for paid hunting outfits.

re: using the windows for the stove pipe. Both, TiGoat and Kifaru sell made sew-in stove jacks with rain flaps for that purpose.