Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
ConnieD

Re: Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Post by ConnieD » Fri May 28, 2010 5:15 pm

I figured, but I couldn't resist.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:41 pm

It doesn't get any easier than this...

The time factor of the video includes kicking the fat cat off the tent on the back side(what I was doing in the tent).. :lol:

Anyhow..rolled up is 5" diameter X 12"..2lbs 13oz with everything including 6 stakes,a cardboard sleeve holding the stakes,the center pole joiner(6"x1/2" diameter aluminum tube fits tight and sturdy on the trek pole tips,and the strap for holding the "packaged tent together
Dimensions: same as a standard dome tent that can hold even three people..7' across the flats and 8' across the points.The sides are 4' long..6 sides.This allows a 4'x7' open floor down the middle(if you lean the pole with the bottom end off to one side...and a couple sections on the sides 2' wide in the center to nothing at the ends and 7' long.There are 2 triangular vents in the floor about 12" on each side at the farthest out points of the tent,useless room anyway.
The floor is sewn in up 2" off the bottom edge of the tent on 5 sides..making it "bathtub" with velcro across the front at the bottom of the inside bugscreen doors and the floor,making the interior totally bug free but ventilated when needed.
The setup is simple..stretch out the two farthest points opposite the door to the 8' point the floor allows,then pull each of the other two points out on each side from the center by stretching the 4' until the points are tight.Do the opposite for the other two points..unzip the door,stick in the poles and drop one,then expand it until it is tight aganst the tension of the stakes.Slide the bottom of the pole in and tighten the pole to length.One pole always remains at 'trek" height for stretching the other back to the same length..no thinking needed.Run around the perimeter of the tent and reset the stakes..if needed.Keep in mind that if you don't expect serious wind..NO ROPE TIE-OUTS,ADJUSTMENTS,KNOTS ARE NECESSARY.I probably will add some small nylon tie-outs to the outside about 1/2 way up on 4 corners for windy conditions,2 on the windy side,and 2 by the door edges.I do have some velcro ties for the camo doors so I could probably even tie to those and need only two on the back side... :roll:
If you can find a standard dome tent with a full fly and a full bathtub floor and decent doors on the fly..It's easy and cheap to convert the tent to one of these!The floor space remains the same..the weight drop is huge!My undertent was a new unused square 7x7dome Eureka Teragon which I got for $8(didn't have the fly,bought for the materials) and cut the floor out of it.If you get a hex dome,your floor is already shaped right and saves a lot of thought and time.if it has the bathtub shape,better yet.These domes are everywhere for dirt cheap,just need to find one the right shape.
Costs:$8 for the fly,$8 for the tent floor,$2 for the bug door screen,$1 for 48" of velcro under the door,and an old 6'sleeping bag zipper from a closeout bag for $1.29),and a partial roll of $1.29 serger thread..couple velcro ties for the door sides,some nylon strapping I had..roughly a total of $20-22.
Keep in mind it is well under 3lbs to pack, a mansion for one,very roomy for 2 with gear,and could sleep a family couple with 2 kids or the family dog..or both...or even three cozy adults.and plenty of room to stand up in for a 6' person(barely hunched a little)...or a whole bunch of dancing bananas and Canadian pickles!
:DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DP: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DB: :DP: :DB: :D
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:17 pm

Nicely done Cuz. I knew you would have that puppy converted in no time. I think your cats have a thing for tents! :lol: Do you feed them inside a tent or something?
There are 2 triangular vents in the floor about 12" on each side
Are these for your homemade woodburning backpacking tent stove? i did not notice a flap in the top of the tent for your chimney :o :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:35 pm

I'd like to purchase it, is it for sale?

That's a compliment :P
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:09 pm

This tent is for summer camping only.I'm not interested in a winter woodburning tent.It does have the bug vent in the top on the side as I posted before.The floor had two points that weren't covered by the floor piece I had..therefore rather than mesh the entire perimeter of the floor and lose space and overall length of the floor,instead I filled in the two exterior side points(looking from the door side,the left and right very end points)with a triangle of bugmesh..where you really can't use those sections anyway other than for smaller low storage.
I'm assuming people will sleep front to back with their heads by the door,both people having access without disturbing the other person to get out the front while sleeping...plus better ventilation,using the door as a moonroof or skylight,using the door light for reading,etc,etc..
I figure if it is the wife and I,I'll angle the bottom of the pole off to one side,we'll sleep down the middle,and use the two sides for storage of our packs,clothes,boots,gear.. next to us.Hmm..I might have to add a couple small pockets for flashlights,keys,TP and other stuff near the front on both sides of the door. :roll:

My cats love tents! :?: ..just go inside,lay down and purr if they get a chance... :roll: .That's fine unless the bugs are out.If I sleep in one I need to leave a "cat door" and just throw down another bag for them to sleep on so I don't get bothered or smothered with 30lbs of cats(one's lost a couple pounds)on top of my bag.
I locked them out this time..not too happy about it..but i wanted to take it down right away to pack it,weigh it,etc.I just finished adding the lower bugdoor velcro,didn't have it at the other house.
I plan on using this one as much as possible because it's so roomy.I do have another all green dome fly with adequate doors of the same size I may modify to another if I find a decent floor.I may make another for the other house and as a single.
You really can't beat the room,the lack of extra crap..just 6 stakes and a short aluminum piece of tubing,no ropes!
I am glad I made the floor attached to the tent.It makes it very easy to pitch the thing because the floor shape almost sets the 6 points perfectly automatically.
With the NEW camo fly and a floor from an UNUSED tent,new bugmesh..this IS a brand new tent!I still do have the new tent walls,door and ceiling I can use for making a double walled single..like an REI quarter dome... :roll: :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:27 pm

The tent fabric color is especially nice for blending in with natural colors.

I really like the tent plus fat-cat. They compliment each other really well.

Could I have one of each, please?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Could I have one of each, please?
Would you like fries with that? :lol:

The other fly is the dark green..as is the floor in this one..

Cats..My neighbors at the other house from New Mexico..brought their three weiner dogs. :roll: .and the smallest full grown little cat I've ever seen..about 6-7lbs..just looked like a miniature of my fat cat.! :o That's probably 40% of the size of one of mine! :shock: That was the most friendliest cat I've seen in a long time..and always smiling...Sparky and I got along great. :lol:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:01 am

Here you go Connie..5 minutes ago..hoping someone will stop by and rub her belly--->

cadyak

Post by cadyak » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:37 am

Nice looking work It looks like one could shoot a short recurve out of that thing.
Our Wallyworld never has any good fabric like that.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:38 am

A recurve would be easy just cut a bit more off the inner edges once you cut the panels..say maybe a 2" bow in the middle instead of straight cuts up the side panels.If you multiply that 6 times,you will lose some headroom when you stand up.Maybe I'll try that with the second tent dome I have..to make the corners even tighter and reduce even more weight.
My walmarts(PA,Sequim,Lynnwood,Everett) are all pretty sad as far as materials,why I used the "dome tent" option.The bug screen was the only good thing I've really found at walmart..and a little uncoated ripstop I plan on making a sleeping bag or liner out of.There are dome tents for sale everywhere on craigs for cheap prices!Most of the weight of domes is the support system.If you eliminate that..use trek poles instead..you take off about 1/2 the weight..recut,elimination of frills.. takes out another 20% or so..why the weight dropped significantly from probably 7-8 lbs down to less than 3!
The hard part is finding the "right" dome fly,one with a 5-6' zipper,full length,no "raised covered doorway/window" portion,just a straight arched dome-cut fly on all sides that reaches the ground.Actually..a dome without the raised doorway and window covers would probably be cheaper at a retail price..less "options".
The side portions of the Eureka Teragon 4(7x7) tent I hacked off the floor will probably be recut into a single "undertent" with straight or cant cut sides,roughly 3x7, for use with a small fly and single trek pole..something I'm still thinking about.Using premade sides eliminates most of the hard part with the large door/screen,lighter upper area of the undertent already sewn together,I can probably use a single width piece about 44" wide for the bathtub floor..just need to set it up and use the 3D method of getting the fly measurements..Not much goes to waste here! :roll: :lol:
As far as walmart and bugmesh..A second time I went there..I made a mistake and bought a bunch of tulle from them that tears easily and is worthless..make sure you get the better stuff and test it(grip and rip,one easily tears in two) before buying a lot of it..usually $1-1.50 a yard.One type's good and one definitely won't work!
I'm pretty much using my own tents/hammocks for all camping/hiking other than occasional pictures of vintage tents in unique places...