Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
ConnieD

Re: Dome fly tipi tent..can be done!

Post by ConnieD » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:28 pm

I like "fatcat". I will keep a picture on my desktop.

Looks like "Walker" names for the Texas Ranger, my in Oregon neighbor's cat. One truly great cat, "Walker". He "hugs".

Why not make the dome-tipi tent and sew a "shirt" at the bottom, for a straight section for "height" much like the Baker tent?

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Why not make the dome-tipi tent and sew a "shirt" at the bottom, for a straight section for "height" much like the Baker tent?
I'm not understanding that. :?: ..unless you mean "skirt" or sidewalls....anything that adds more weight,I'm staying away from.Most of my tents top out at 2.75lbs.If the weight goes above that, I feel it's a waste of time and effort.More than likely I won't pack that overweight tent..unless it's "vintage"..That vintage limit for me is about 4.5lbs..

This tent was limitted by the size of the floor I had to work with and the size of the dome's bottom edges.I cut the minimal on the side cuts of the triangles,used fell seams to resew it with what was left.
It would be easy to make another one with new material..just sew a double height of material with the fell seam in between horizontally.Recut that double height strip into triangles staggering each one top to bottom like this--->
If you want a larger tipi..use 5' wide material for one probably 8.5-9' wide and use 5' wide for the bottom dimension...or approximately 5' across the bottom edges of one of the sides.The overall floor would be 10' across the points and around 9' across the floor on the flat sides(scaled out).The area down the center would be 5'x9' with 2- 2.5'x9' trangles,2.5 feet at the center to nothing front and back...if someone cares to make one that size.
if you want cant sides:..just cut the triangles,then set up two points with a flexed stick between the top and bottom point,lay the material down between those two points with a stick flexed 2" from the 1/2 distance center point..draw the line and recut it.Do that on all vertical edges.
Of course if you want an equal-sided 4 sided tent,the bottom measurement per side will have to be 7' or more.to maintain the floor space need for sleeping and require a minimum length of material 14'(double height)..requiring more material and more sloped walls.
I think I do have about 17' of 5' wide yellow poly coated stuff..but that would really stick out like a sore thumb on the horizon if I made a tent out of that... :shock: ..I've been thinking about what I want to do with that...make a second sun or something... :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:59 pm

I threw out my back and the weather turned nice so I aborted my trip to the peninsula and set up the tipi in the backyard so I could seal the seams and give the tent a coating of silicone(extra prevention)..since I have about 4 cans of the stuff and bought another today for $1... :roll: ..The cats and I have been sleeping out there the last couple nights..they get half on an old sleeping bag I yanked the zippers out of for projects and me in the other half in my own bag.Having their own bag to sleep on keeps them from crowding me at night and nuzzling my bag so I can roll over in minimum pain when I need to. :roll:
Anyway..ROOMY!I can see my tent will be the designated-meeting-tent when hiking with other people because 4-5 people can sit up and play cribbage or poker in the thing. :lol: With all the ultra small lightweight tents I've been making lately,this one feels like a hotel ballroom!Being able to fully stand up in the thing is a big plus for a tent that weighs about 2-3/4lbs.having no ropes,lines,or other adjustment headaches eliminates a lot of hassles.I spend about 10-15 seconds walking around the tent doing a final adjustment to the stakes to get the panels pretty tight.I might add three midpoint tie-outs to the outside midpoints on three corners..for quick wind protection with three additional stakes..if I ever feel it is warranted.It's pretty solid as it is.
I think I didn't give it enough ventilation in the two bottom opposite corner vent holes in the floor..had slight condensation the other morning inside..but due to the fog outside and that I had it pitched tight to the ground..and two snoring cats ;) ..,adding a couple taller stakes in those two corners might eliminate that slight problem.It wasn't enough to worry about.
Helpful hint: I've come to the conclusion I need to add some black electrical tape to one of the trek poles to mark how far I need to drop it down to to make it quicker to set up the tent.As long as I leave the other one "hiking" length,it'll take about 15 seconds to return the short one back to normal or visa versa..only adjust one pole for tent use..quick and easy..just a tip for others using trek poles for dual purpose.
Back to the condensation..due to the fact i'll only use this as a summer tent,I don't plan to extend the vents,isn't that big a problem.The little I had in the foggy conditions I experienced doesn't warrant making the changes..Nothing really got wet or damp inside,just slight moisture when I rubbed my hand across the interior walls.
Sleeping..2 people side by side with no problems across the flats which are 7' apart and steep walls..you will barely rub on the ends when I'm 5-7 and set on a slight slope.When by myself,I'll position my sleeping area from point to point and have no problem with clearance sleeping in the middle.The bottom of the pole can be offset quite a bit from the center point and still maintain a tight pitch,leaving the center area open and the smaller side areas for gear.With two people..we each get our own gear area on the outside triangles and each basically will face the doors for easy access without bothering the other.
It's working out to be a good success for a $20 homemade tent...keep in mind I've got the whole triangle 2' deep at the center for gear to the right of the bag in the picture below.I covered the cat's side because they like to knead on tent floors.. :o ..they're learning not to do that... :roll:
Another helpful hint:When I was going to have a removable floor I added velcro ties to all the inside 6 corners up about 6" off the ground.I have a couple "dog treat" pack bags (or "climbing carabine/piton bags") that are about 3" in diameter that separate from the packs easily.Instead of adding small gear pockets in the tents,I can just velcro those anywhere in a corner of the inner tent..easy to find in the dark by just running a hand to the corner point and reaching in for flashlight,glasses, or even holding water bottles upright.No weight is really added to the tent other than 6 of the skinny velcro ties that weigh almost nothing,maybe all together about 10 grams at the most..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:32 am

My thoughts are more ventilation is needed. When 2 sleep in the tent, 2 pints of water will be given off, 1 per person. It will condense into droplets that will find their way to what ever gear you have around the outer edges.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:00 pm

What's the condensation value of two fat cats?... :o ... :lol: We slept out there again last night and nothing this morning as far as condensation.I left one door open for the cats and we didn't have fog this morning.I don't really see a problem.
Keep in mind we live in the pacific northwest probably a 1/4 to 1/2 mile as the crow flies from Puget Sound...Some mornings everything is covered with dew... :roll:

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 pm

I was refering to you and your wife.............ventilate more :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Cuz, I was just wondering; could you use two hiking poles from the opposite sides up to the center point and have no pole in the center to worry apout getting knocked over in the middle of the night with a restless sleeper? Just a thought; obviously one pole will suit most. I guess the other question would be; would the poles extend far enough to reach the sides?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:11 pm

I was thinking maybe one pole(because it takes about 7' of poles)...on the outside of the tent..at one point and solidify the bottom point of the pole with a stake out point..but it seems to tip the tipi to one side.using two sets of poles would work fine..but not when i hike alone..keep in mind that it is equiped for use with an overhead line or branch and has a top tie-out at the peak..so NO poles are necessary..However..I think you get a tighter pitch and it is more adjustable from the inside with a center pole.
I can offset the bottom of the pole as much as 2' from the center point,leaving the center 4' section wide open for two people,but the pole does bend/arc to the top interior point.
Because of the sewn-in floor and the bathtub effect over the outer two inches of height around the perimeter,I think having two sets of the poles up the outside is a better idea,leaving the inside wide open.
This shows one of the two floor vents at the outside points(opposite the door and opposite wall) of the sewn-in floor..the floor is sewn in 2" above the ground(or 2" above the bottom of walls) on the exterior walls so the floor does bathtub that 2" off the ground at the edges.Keep in mind that there is a 2" overhang of walls that keeps the water away from the floor/wall seam.Because of the vent material,if I'm expecting bad weather,I'll roll a stick under each inner edge of the vent for a more positive "bathtub effect" at that inner line point raisng the entire screen 2"off the ground.The rest of the floor does fine on its own with the front door about 4" worth of bathtub because of the velcro across the bottom of the screen doors.To clean the tent,undo the velcro,and the floor goes flat at the door to sweep out dirt.
"Use" dictates what's necessary for a tent..Why do I want to make something "4 season" when I'll never use it for that purpose?I have plenty of other tents that weigh more for that purpose!This is one of the largest solo tents and weighs practically nothing!..but can be used for two with lots of space also.
Sewing in a floor..some people don't want floors..well.. sewing in the floor to me means that it is bugproof(with screen doors),waterproof,and a cinch to set up with the stake-out points established before raising the tent!....Throw the tent out flat,set two opposite stake points,set the four remaining stakes stretching the floor,..unzip the door.Set the one short pole to height and add the 6" sleeve to the tips of both poles..,and stick it inside,arching the pole in place with the wide handle against the floor material within 2' of the center point.The tent is pretty much pitched..or well enough at that point.I suggest anybody making one without a floor,add lines to limit the distance across the points but then they still need to figure the sides..more complicated figuring,measuring,or restaking, fiddling than what it is worth.With a floor and doing it a few times,I figure pitching the tent should take about 1-2 minutes tops...every time.
RR..as far as using two sets of poles..i think the distance from a side point to the peak is right around 8' so two sets of poles should work fine from the opposite side points..leaving the center wide open.Inside would defeat the bathtub at the bottom of the pole points...and need to pack two 6" aluminum pole sleeves.
The tent will pack down to about any shape needed due to a lack of poles..as long as one dimension is as long as the stakes..or they(and the tpole tube) can be packed separate.The tent itself could be used for padding around the pack.There are a couple bendable wires in the top vent hood to keep it held open when pitched.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:37 pm

One more thing..the tension on the pole is pretty great and it would take a LOT to knock out the center pole! Maybe a couple drunken hunters reloading black powder rounds between quick turkey shots might just be enough to do it..but probably not sober! :roll:

:lol:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:16 pm

realityguy wrote:One more thing..the tension on the pole is pretty great and it would take a LOT to knock out the center pole! Maybe a couple drunken hunters reloading black powder rounds between quick turkey shots might just be enough to do it..but probably not sober! :roll:

:lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[on the muzzleloading forum there is a smiley that rolls around on the floor laughing. i would have used it!]

RR, i think he zinged us both on that one! :lol:
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast