DIY Hammock

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
russb

DIY Hammock

Post by russb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:50 am

I was sick all weekend so I decided to finally make the hammock I had been thinking about. It is a copy/clone of the Claytor hammock but only a single layer. With the suspension straps the weight is 18 oz.
Attachments
DIY Hammock.jpg

realityguy

Re: DIY Hammock

Post by realityguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Congratulations..now walk over and kick Zelph in the rear and maybe he'll get his started.. :roll: :lol:
Was it.."simplier than you imagined it would be" to make?
Any problems you ran into sewing one up?Once you've made one,they are easy and quick after that to make similar ones.
Add pad pockets,side pockets,etc.."accessorize"!
Weight is light!Add the tarp and figure what you need to pack altogether for weight.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:20 pm

That's a great accomplishment while being sick. :o Just think what you could have made if you were feeling well :D ( a double layer with pockets and all the accessories) and then slept in it during the night while hanging from the rafters. Health is everything!!!!

I'm stressed for time to do my own hammock. My sewing machine is in the frigid garage, no way to even think of sewing till late spring. Kickin me in the butt won't help :P
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

russb

Post by russb » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:39 pm

Thanks all. It was definitely easier than I thought it would be. though I did make some significant errors which I now know to avoid in the future. I basically knew that this was to be a learning experience more than anything, but the final product is still functional even with the "problems". The only "accessory" I added was two grosgrain loops protruding into the hammock at both the head and foot end to attach a bag/pocket.

stevebo

Post by stevebo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 pm

Great job on the hammock! I bought a claytor no net hammock last year (works great with a Speer pea pod!) Ive been pretty impressed with its performance---its really comfortable. I recently did a mod to it----I added a structural ridge line (amsteel with a whoopie sling on each end) I was really surprised what a difference the ridge line made. With the ridge line pretty tight, the hammock is even more comfortable! Anyway, enjoy your new hammock! :D

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:44 pm

Nice job russb! There is a great sense of pride and accomplishment making your own gear.

Zelph, since the wife is at home now you could let her make copies of your BB hammock on her machine to sell in your shop. You need to keep her busy or you will never find time to get online :P :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:29 pm

It was definitely easier than I thought it would be. though I did make some significant errors which I now know to avoid in the future. I basically knew that this was to be a learning experience more than anything, but the final product is still functional even with the "problems".
Just curious what problems you ran into... :roll: I add sleeping bag zippers for mine and ended up learning it was easier to just sew the ends together on top beyond the zippers,creating a sleeve at the ends with a hanging loop out the end of nylon strap,whip finish it out to seal around the nylon.I can always change the ends out by cutting off the whip finish and doing it again.
I have a separate ridgeline that runs through a couple grommets in the bugmesh about 8" up from the ends...always have tight adjustable bugmesh and a line to hang stuff from on carabiners..like flashlights,clock,wet socks,etc..always easy to find;just reach up,find the line,and run your hand down it in the dark until you find what you want.I need to make a swinging beer caddy... :lol:
I use a couple sets of separate nylon "tree hugger" hammock hanging straps(common for all my hammocks) because our trees are usually pretty large here and wider straps keep fiesty rangers happy that fear lines cutting tree bark...You can also make some short sections(18"-24") of 2" wide strap "tree protectors" with velcro loops for the back sides of trees..if you have problems with rangers where you are...
We only have a few hammock people around here so the rangers kind of check things out when you do hang from trees.The more you do to protect the trees,they don't question anything..or make you sleep with your hammock in the dirt.I usually have to mention I plan on using a hammock when I'm in Olympic National Park to make sure the spot is okay for those.
Side Pockets:..I take a piece of nylon about 18"x36",roll the perimeter 1/2" all the way around it and sew it that way..then fold it in half the long way leaving the back edge 1" taller than the front and sew up the ends.Figure how many pockets you want and sew up and down at 6-12" intervals then attach it to the back wall oppsite the side you get into..right below the bugmesh..handy pockets for stuff you won't sleep on..Figure about 1oz of extra weight(for 2oz nylon)..is it worth it?You bet!Socks,hat,book,maps,beer,night slippers,..at your fingertips!
I tried putting one end with velcro so I could move it around inside..wasn't worth the hassle because it pulls off if your bag gets on it so I tacked the top as I said..works great now.
If you have any suggestions,problem eliminations or ideas..it's best to post them so others can benefit if they decide to make one. ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

russb

Post by russb » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:08 pm

Neat ideas RG. The problems were just with technique. For example, I sewed one edge of the zipper "upside down" so it has to flip in order to attach. Just stupid errors and such. I also will make the hammock a bit wider next time. The only reason it is the current width is I was limited by the fabric remnants I was using. It was mostly just to learn from.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:19 pm

My material has always been about 44-46" so i was pretty limited also by the width..however..One of them I added tapers on both sides at 8" in the center to about 2" at the ends of extra material placing the zipper at the lower level,mesh at the top..makes it easier for sitting but gives higher sides when closed up for wind and that..Makes it feel huge inside!

The sidepockets..is the best idea I've added for hammocks..for that 1/2oz of weight.. and takes almost nothing to sew it.Nothing's worse than having to hunt for stuff under your bag at night in the dark! :roll:
#%*#@^* is my G**D#*N flashlight?!!! :lol:

This shows the "pocket strip" better...and the higher sides from inside...

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:30 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice job russb! There is a great sense of pride and accomplishment making your own gear.

Zelph, since the wife is at home now you could let her make copies of your BB hammock on her machine to sell in your shop. You need to keep her busy or you will never find time to get online :P :lol:

I have enough silnylon stashed to make a hundred hammocks :o I collected when WalMart was heavy on inventories at a buck a yard. I purchased it by the bolt. I always had in mind to do a tee-pee
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/