DIY Hammock

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
ConnieD

Re: DIY Hammock

Post by ConnieD » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:52 pm

realityguy,

How did you put the words and lines pointing out features, on the photo?

zelph,

make a tipii like the Wyoming Outfitter's tipii, with two zipper doors and provision for a liner maybe?

russb,

Very inspiring thread: just get started. I admit I have been looking for an inexpensive sewing machine.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:59 pm

zelph,

make a tipii like the Wyoming Outfitter's tipii, with two zipper doors and provision for a liner maybe?
OK, I'll make that one, 2 zipps, maybe 3 ;) .
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:38 pm

How did you put the words and lines pointing out features, on the photo?
Bring up the picture in a photo program(I use a simple MGI one) and use their toolbar for adding words,lines,cut-n-paste..whatever is needed..save it in the end as the same picture or a new one.My pictures on here are at photobucket.com
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:40 pm

Okay..$10 REI synthetic "cocoon" cover..has a zipper that goes through the foot so it just zips around the hammock.The top end has no hood..square cut with a draw string to snug around the top end of the hammock..extra long bag.I see I'll need to add a loop at the bottom end to tie the end to the tie-out at the end to stop the bag from creeping down..I can tie it to the drawstring at the top end to keep that end extended or add another loop there.This hammock..the bugscreen zips off.I can add the ridge line inside to gain some "above me" space(ridgeline ties/snugs inside so it is adjustable once I'm in there.

I see one problem with this idea..the asymetrical tie-outs are buried inside the outer bag.I may need to add a tie-out grommet with a vecroed cover at that point below the zipper on this side and at the opposite point on the opposite side(helps keep the zipper at the side also).I'm 5-7 or so and 175lbs so I can get away with it..untested because it's a balmy 50+ lately... :roll:
I can still use the bag for car camping..roomy and no real serious modifications needed(grommet holes and a couple loops at the ends inside for stopping movements towards the ends)..Synthetic without a tag but probably a 15-20 degree bag.I can add any weight liner bag in the hammock to get optional temperature ratings required or needed.
I could probably leave my head out and use a hood also..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 pm

Cuz, I think you will be snug as a bug in a rug with that setup :lol: Give it a try and let us know how it does in the cold temps, that is if you have anymore cold temps :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:50 pm

It's supposed to drop clear down to 36 or so in a couple days... :o ..if I was in better health.
My problem with testing hammocks here is that I always have a couple "footwarmers" that want to crawl in also.I'd have to add handicap stairs so they don't get that "jump and claw" idea... :roll:
When I was putting it away,i dropped the thing on the ground,took some stuff inside and one of the hairballs had made herself at home inside already... :lol: ..She wasn't too happy about being dumped out.. :evil:

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:46 pm

some stuff inside and one of the hairballs had made herself at home inside already... :lol: ..She wasn't too happy about being dumped out.. :evil:
That didn't take long at all. :lol:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:11 pm

I can't turn my back on those two!..That was like 30 seconds or less!She buried herself way down in the foot.I picked the bag and hammock up thinking.."What the hell?!"..then realized the weight was from her being in there...There's an additional 14 lbs or so... :roll:

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:34 pm

That is so not UL. :lol:

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:42 am

Yeah but I'll have warm feet no matter what the temperature is... ;)