My latest DIY addiction... hammocks

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
gear-report

My latest DIY addiction... hammocks

Post by gear-report » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Hi folks.
I have lurked here off and on for quite some time gathering info to feed the stove making obsession that I developed.
Last spring I stumbled across the idea of hammock camping. I had been a pretty avid tent backpacker as a boy scout back in the day, but never even though about hammocks.
After the summer boating and kayaking season ended I poked around and found hammockforums.net... and my stove and backpack making obsession was quickly pushed to the side in favor of hammock making.

Since it looks like a few folks here are intrigued by hammocks also, thought I'd share some of my projects.
Its cold out, so I'm working on cold weather gear right now. Almost done with an Insultex underquilt.
I've also made 6 hammocks, 2 tarps, 2 sets of snake skins, a bunch of stuff sacks, woopie slings, a summer underquilt, a fleece top quilt, ridgeline organizer, hammock pockets, peak bags... probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. It has been a busy past few months for me and my OLD Singer 15-91 sewing machine. :D

Here is the UQ I'm working on now:
http://gear-report.com/how-to-make-a-di ... ping-myog/

zelph

Re: My latest DIY addiction... hammocks

Post by zelph » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Yes, I can see clearly your gear problem :D
I'll be doing my first test hang tonight to see if I'll be able to sleep comfortably in a "GrizzBridge" hammock. I've always slept on the ground and now I will give it shot hanging in a Hammock. I'm a side sleeper and could never picture myself bent like a bannana in a hammock and being able to sleep. Unfortunately It's going to be cold for my first test. I think I'll be warm enough to get to sleep. How I my body feels after a few hours will tell me if the hammock is going to work for me. I have a Warbonnet to test next. I'll be comparing the two styles/designs.

Jeff, why choose an underquilt compared to just using a thick pad?

Does your old singer have a true walking foot feed? Any pros and cons on the need for a walking foot?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:38 am

For those not as sewing - inclined (can't get the wife to lend out her sewing machine, just suck at it, etc) do you sell these? If so how much? :D

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:42 am

As for why use this instead of a pad? Comfort really.

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:29 am

The underquilts are more comfortable, then?

zelph, Does your old singer have a true walking foot feed? Any pros and cons on the need for a walking foot?

I would like to know about that, as well.
I have been looking at a factory reconditioned Singer HD-105 online. Singer Q&A indicates it will handle heavy quilting materials. But what about sil-nylon. Would I be better off with a two-thread or three-thread serger for tarps, and for tipis, for example?
Shipping cost might be the determining factor. Maybe I should find something near me?
No one in my immediate area is selling their older "thread injectors".
I don't blame them: the older machines aren't all plastic parts.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:30 pm

Connie,I have a couple sergers but found they were more bother than what they were worth with sewing materials for hammocks and tarps.I seamed the center of my first tarp with one,waste of time and probably isn't as waterproof as a flat fell seam.The materials are light enough that about any machine will sew them,even a few layers.The key is holding different types of materials together(bug mesh/silnylon) with different stretch characteristics so "pin"..or use a walking foot.I have two walking foot pfaffs(share one pedal) but haven't even tried them yet.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Are "pin-holes" a problem with sil nylon, or, is it better to use tape?
I have used "silk" pins, or, basted a seam on delicate fabric.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:14 pm

ConnieD wrote:Are "pin-holes" a problem with sil nylon, or, is it better to use tape?
I have used "silk" pins, or, basted a seam on delicate fabric.

Connie, the pin holes are not a problem on the center seam of your rainfly/tarp as you will have to treat the seam with a silicone based coating to waterproof the stitching ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:16 pm

Do you use Seam Grip, or, Seam Seal 3?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:55 pm

ConnieD wrote:Do you use Seam Grip, or, Seam Seal 3?

I used a homemade potion of silicone and thinner to get it to where I could brush it on and the thinner evaporates leaving the silicone impregnated in the needed areas. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !