My latest DIY addiction... hammocks

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
realityguy

Re: My latest DIY addiction... hammocks

Post by realityguy » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:15 pm

I use 100% clear silicone(bathtub caulk?) added to some oderless mineral spirits(thanks,zelph for the "oderless")...to seal the seams..just stick a gob(1/2 teaspoon?) in a fancy feast can..add enough mineral spirits(1 teaspoon?) to liquify it when mixed well..set up your rig(tarp,tent..whatever) and run around with a 1/2" wide brush and coat it into your seams wide enough to cover the pinhole area..It drys pretty clear,just a hint that you did it..
Sometime I wanna try spraying some...coat some uncoated stuff(got lots of that)... :roll:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:02 pm

"odorless" mineral spirits?

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:22 pm

ConnieD wrote:"odorless" mineral spirits?
Klean-Strip oderless mineral spirits. Use it to clean your paint brushes after using oil-based paints
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:14 pm

Also works great to create "grippy" surfaces for tents and such that are constructed entirely from SIL. I used it on the floor of my TT Contrail to great effect. No more sliding to bottom of tent in the middle of the night.

gear-report

Post by gear-report » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:14 pm

Sorry folks, but too busy to check in until now and see there were a few questions.

Why a quilt?
1) Theoretically, they are easier to adjust and stay comfortable on than a pad. I say theoretically because I'm still tweaking my UQ suspension to get it right.
2) Pads are vapor barriers and can cause perspiration, sweat, stickyness-type issues for some.
3) Folks that roll around at night can easily roll off a pad, but the UQ is on the outside, so no problems with rolling around.
4) They are cooler... as in, all the cool kids have UQs 8-)
5) It can require gymnastics to get in a hammock and get the pad situated just right under you (primarily in an asym gathered end hammock, likely easier in a bridge.)
6) Most UQs pack smaller than pads, many are lighter than pads also

With that said, plenty of folks use pads and like them.

Walking foot on the machine?
Nope. No problems with any materials so far. Then again, I've never used a walking foot machine, so I may not know what I'm missing.

Special machine for sil?
Nope. I made GVP G4 Scout backpack with lots of layers of heavy material when attaching the straps to the bottom. No real issues. Also have sewed a Double Layer hammock of 1.1oz RipStop nylon. This old machine does great on thick or thin materials. Needle size is important, as is using the right type of needle and thread.

Serger?
Too many parts and adjustments for me to mess up. My simple, straight stitch only machine does fine for everything I've tried.

Do I sell them?
I haven't yet, but I guess I'd be willing to consider it if someone wants one, isn't in a huge hurry (might take a couple of weeks, depending on my work schedule), and understands I'm not a professional. My stuff works, it just doesn't look like it was produced by a 12 year old sweat-shop worker who has been sewing for 5 years. Those kids know how to sew straight lines. I don't :oops: :)

Pin holes and seam sealing?
I try to use a 10 or 12 needle for sil, to minimize the size of the holes.
Seam seal as Ridgerunner and RealityGuy described. 8-)

Stay warm Zelph.
I'm fairly new at hanging and learned pretty quick how cold the underside of a hammock gets. I slept on zlite a pad several times and it insulated well, just was hard to keep it adjusted right under me for the whole night, and hard not to wiggle off of it and wake up with a cold shoulder.
I've never tried a bridge. I'm told Grizz makes a fine one though.
My FrankenBird is a close approximation of a WBBB. I love it. I get as diagonal as I can and can get nearly completely flat.
The shelf on the side is awesome!

BTW, you sound like my wife with the comment on my gear "problem". :roll:

I'm headed outside shortly for my first night hanging in below freezing temps.
I've nested the two UQs that I made... one is fleece with nylon covering each side, the other is 3 layers of IX with nylon on the bottom side), and will have a fleece tQ that I made, and my Kelty 15* bag as a TQ. Will be my first night without the zlite pad with temps below about 55*.
Wish me luck. :D
:DB:
I just like the dancing banana.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:54 pm

I have a GrizzBridge double layer. I put a self inflating mattress inside the double and am well pleased with how it flattened out the system. I feel it will work out extremely well in the summer months. I'm totally new at hammocks. Thanks for all the answers to the questions. Very informative.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

gear-report

Post by gear-report » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:00 pm

FYI... Did my first cold weather test hang this past weekend.
Low of 24 F and i was warm.
Full details on finishing the IX UQ and the HQ suspension are on my original post at my site.
:)

russb

Post by russb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:35 pm

In all my years hanging, I used a pad and sleeping bag with none of the problems or difficulties that are often mentioned by people. I truly believe it was due to the specific hammock. The hammock is the Claytor. The Claytor has a double bottom which makes the use of a pad very easy, never an issue. the same is true with the sleeping bag, not an issue.

At present i do use an UQ (2/3 length) in the summer only as it is lighter and less bulky than a pad, same with the TQ I use for 3 seasons. Not because the sleeping bag is difficult, the quilt is lighter and less bulky. As I said, my guess is the hammock itself makes it easier or more difficult to use a pad/bag. In the winter I use pads and sleeping bags (my winter is sub-zero).

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:00 pm

I see only good things about a double layer. I'll have a chance at a -5 degree day coming tomorrow or the next.

I'm going to lay directly on the hammock fabric and use my mummy bag as a quilt. I will have the bag zipped 1/3 the way up to create a foot box to keep my feet toasty. The bag will opened on top of me. My other bag will be over the top of that fully opened as a second quilt that will be wrapped around the sides of the hammock. I don't think I'll need anything directly under the hammock. I won't have any breezes in my green house so I think I'll be alright. The self inflating pad should be sufficient...............I hope. My fluid intake will be kept to a minimum. ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

gear-report

Post by gear-report » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:11 pm

You'll need to prefect the "roll and go"... ie. roll your mid section up to the zipper, unzip enough to get your... uh... man part positioned, aim for a spot where you won't be standing in the morning.
I perfected this move on my first cold weather hang, cuz there was NO WAY I was getting up in the cold. :)

BTW, I just added a video to my IX UQ write up on my site.
Go easy on me though, it is my first video, and very poorly done. :shock: