My latest DIY addiction... hammocks

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
russb

Re: My latest DIY addiction... hammocks

Post by russb » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:22 pm

LOL on the "roll and go". I never tried, but then again my shoes and and stuff would be right at the "target" spot.

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:31 pm

Nice job Jeff. You look nice and cozy with your system. So, you used two underquilts?
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:57 pm

wide mouth peebottle... :roll: ..Dump it in the morning.Hang and go doesn't work in a sunroom... ;)
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

gear-report

Post by gear-report » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:34 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice job Jeff. You look nice and cozy with your system. So, you used two underquilts?

Yeah.
I'm pretty averse to cold.
REALLY didn't want to risk getting cold in sub-freezing temps, so I doubled them up.
The fleece UQ is just a single layer of cheap fleece from Hancock fabrics, with a light nylon shell on each side.
It looks warmer than it is.
It is a summer quilt, at best... but it is full length (started with 90" length, lost just a bit for end hems and darts)

The IX UQ is only 60" long... I'm 76" long... so I wanted at least the fleece UQ under my head and feet.
Next time I want to try the IX UQ by itself, but I have to work up the nerve for that.
Did I mention I HATE being cold? :)

gear-report

Post by gear-report » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:39 pm

realityguy wrote:wide mouth peebottle... :roll: ..Dump it in the morning.Hang and go doesn't work in a sunroom... ;)

I've heard others talk about the magic bottles.
I'm just too clumsy.
I know that as soon as I start filling the bottle I'll find a way to spill it in the hammock. :shock:
Or I'll be half asleep and cross thread the lid when I'm done... thinking it is screwed on tight... will set it in the pocket, where it will slowly leak and soak everything.

So, if you are hanging in the sun room, it shouldn't be too cold to get out of the hammock to do your business.
I get out if it is above freezing out. If below freezing, I either roll and go or hold it. :cheers:

JBRanger

Post by JBRanger » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:29 am

Jeff, your last 2 posts have me rolling laughing. :lol:

Probably only cause I KNOW that would be me as well. Heck, when I do "my business" I do it atleast 20 feet away. For this I've found my crocs to be invaluable. Easy to slip on, light weight, doesn't matter if they get wet but also better than socks. Around camp they are quite comfy. Just have to watch your footing as they tend to run a little big.

Anywho... so yea. I HATE the cold as well. But I'd hate more spilling THAT on me and my sleeping arrangement! :shock: :?

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 am

I'm in favor of something more accurate :D

Consider this:

External Catheter with velcroed leg bag for storage until morning. Serves 2 purpose ;) (Hot water bottle) :mrgreen:

or: run a tube out of the hammock an appropriate length. In winter it's a one time use thing. think Freeze :o .

It's an "irrigation" condom :?
Attachments
PEE VALVE 2.jpg
PEE VALVE 2.jpg (2.52 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Pee Valve.jpg
Pee Valve.jpg (2.96 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

gear-report

Post by gear-report » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:19 pm

My first thought was that the external cath idea is funny...
But I've read plenty of folks that actually do this.
The setup has its merits. I just don't think it is for me.

I'll just continue to try not to wee on my crocs if it is too cold to get out. :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 pm

in cold temps I don't want to get out of my warm bed. I think I will order some on ebay and give em a try.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

ConnieD

Post by ConnieD » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:54 pm

I have tried to stay out of this, honestly, but maybe you could use the "bottom entry" Warbonnet zipper for this. Huh?