My latest DIY addiction... hammocks

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
zelph

Re: My latest DIY addiction... hammocks

Post by zelph » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:57 pm

No zipper on my Grizz Bridge. My self inflating mattress would be over a zipper on a bottom entry, right?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

gear-report

Post by gear-report » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:40 am

In all seriousness. It is a real concern, but not much different than what ground dwellers face when nature calls and they don't want to leave the relative warmth and weather protection of their tent and sleeping bag.

Another challenge with hammocks, and the first practical question that my 8 year old challenged me on, is... where do you put your stuff?
In a tent, one can unload their pack inside the tent and have easy access to gear.
I haven't fully tested this yet, but I made a smaller hammock with a ridgeline along one side, and a large flap on the other. I put my pack in it and fold the flap over the top. A stick, rock, or water bottle fits in a pocket on the flap to hold it shut. This gear hammock makes a nice place to keep the pack out of the weather, off the ground, and easy to get into.
The concept is from the gear box at http://www.mollymacpack.com/box.html
I think I'll test it this weekend.

If that doesn't work I'll do what I did when I was a boy scout... lash a stick to a tree and hang my pack straps over the ends of the stick.

Also thinking of making a mesh bag to put my shoes in at night... something I can hang under the tarp so they don't get wet if it rains, and to keep them off of the ground where critters can get in them.

On the positive side, many hammock and tarp configurations allow a "porch mode" configuration that allows cooking under the tarp without risk of burning your gear. I don't recall ever finding that in a tent. :)

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:27 am

In all seriousness. It is a real concern, but not much different than what ground dwellers face when nature calls and they don't want to leave the relative warmth and weather protection of their tent and sleeping bag.
I agree. Last night I was going to try again to do a hang in 15 degrees but I chickened out :roll:

Diving into a bag on the ground is easy, not so into a hammock :D Not my hammock anyway ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:39 am

I've made/slung a lower small hammock under a tent as a "gear hammock" for storing gear ...just sew over the ends as a loop in the material and add a nylon drawstring to hang from the ends of the upper hammock,5-6'x30"..My hammocks are side entry..so something you can reach from inside the hammock for shoes or other stuff you might need during the night.Also I add a 3' strip of inside pockets on the high backside just under the mesh line for small stuff I might need during the night(about 1 square yard of material,1-2oz);glasses,flashlight,tv guide,beer,pee bottle,slippahs :roll: ...Check some of the older MYOG threads on hammocks here(mine),should be pictures..Edit:two hammocks in this thread,one made in a day,gear hammock,pockets,better bugmesh support,ridgeline..lots of ideas..--> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2699&start=20 Also..note..if you put a "pocket strip" inside...don't put it on with velcro..you'll end up rolling onto it and pulling it off.Get inside when the hammock is setup and figure a porition under the backside mesh where you can easily reach it,but not lay on it.I mount mine right at the doubled up mesh/nylon line on the backwall(for strength),criss-cross sew at the 4-5 pocket separation points on the top edge only,starting about the waist point and towards the feet..seems to work the best for mine.I can still reach everything in a 3' strip of 4-5 pockets about 8-9" deep.
I generally hang my pack off the hammock carabiner(hammock to treehugger one under the tarp) or lay them in the gear storage one..
As far as tents with "cooking areas".I had a Kelty Windfoil 2 that was a 4 season tent that had a full-floored large vestibule with a 1/2 circle zip area about 2' across in the floor that allowed cooking and peeing over the soil/snow underneath instead of on the vestiblue floor..nice tent!Some 4 season ones have those options.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

gear-report

Post by gear-report » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:21 am

yeah, I'm leaning towards hanging a pack from the hammock suspension if there isn't a convenient place to hang a gear hammock really close.
Never heard of a tent with a zip open floor. Very cool.
I really liked the 1 day hammock, by the way.

realityguy

Post by realityguy » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Once you get the main idea down,the idea of what has to be done to complete the project,the materials gathered up,and all the measurements for all parts you need to cut,the actual sewing goes fast if you've done it before.Most of the time is spent scratching your head if you've never done that before;time spent on "research and development". ;)
The brown one was the one day one without the embellishment of the extra high walls..which would take only a couple more hours to add those now that I've done it that way before. Sewing the hammock sides/top shut at the end beyond the end of the entry/bugmesh zipper saves a lot of time thinking how to finish off the ends.On my first one,I added velcro and the bugmesh is removable but I wouldn't do that again except for making a hammock convertible to remove the mesh for winter use.Having the ridgeline allows a person to throw the mesh back over the top,having half of it open on the door side or a person could probably just add a couple velcro ties and tie it down on the back side of a hammock like a convertible top on a car..lots of options.Having it totally removable saves maybe 2-3 oz of packing weight if you left it at home and having to add the weight and expense of another zipper.
I'll probably crank out a couple more hammock bodies this spring in the "green" configuration.The extra oz or two of the side walls makes a lot more roomy one.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy