TeePee

Got an idea for a DIY tarp, tent or hammock? Looking for a better shelter? This is the place to discuss it!
irrationalsolutions

Re: TeePee

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon May 25, 2009 12:21 am

well i have a couple short trips planned but i dont see myself taking a real vacation until eventually. :D

ill just have to build my own :teepee: then. :lol:
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

rik_uk3

Postby rik_uk3 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:21 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Nice teepees Richard. I like your Golite Hex. Does that use a hiking pole or a separate pole ? I eventually plan on erecting a large permanent type teepee in the side yard. I have a small woodburner that will fit nicely.

It has an Easton aluminium pole and a short pole you can extend a hiking pole with. There is also a loop on top of the tent and you can hang it from cordage strung between trees etc. The tent is now called the Golite Shangri-la 3 and it weighs no more than a tarp and hammock.

A lot of the UK bushcrafters will only use a hammock setup which means they only camp in woodland, this is crazy as there as some wonderful areas to camp in apart for the woods.
Richard
South Wales
UK

Vibe

Postby Vibe » Mon May 25, 2009 8:32 am

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 25, 2009 6:25 pm

rik_uk3 wrote:
Ridgerunner wrote:Nice teepees Richard. I like your Golite Hex. Does that use a hiking pole or a separate pole ? I eventually plan on erecting a large permanent type teepee in the side yard. I have a small woodburner that will fit nicely.

It has an Easton aluminium pole and a short pole you can extend a hiking pole with. There is also a loop on top of the tent and you can hang it from cordage strung between trees etc. The tent is now called the Golite Shangri-la 3 and it weighs no more than a tarp and hammock.

A lot of the UK bushcrafters will only use a hammock setup which means they only camp in woodland, this is crazy as there as some wonderful areas to camp in apart for the woods.

There are some hammocks(Speers http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Hammock.htm) that can be set up on the ground in a pup tent formation using your hiking poles. The next one I make will have modifications that will allow the ends to be closed when set up like a puptent.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon May 25, 2009 7:29 pm

you can set up a HH on the ground, too. i've never done it, but the instructions are on their website.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

irrationalsolutions

Postby irrationalsolutions » Mon May 25, 2009 8:46 pm

well if you were really hardcore, which by the way im not, you could just set the tarp/rainfly up like a tarp tent and sleep like that. and you can just use teh hammock as a bivy. why would you need to pull up the ends of the hammock?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Mon May 25, 2009 10:00 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:well if you were really hardcore, which by the way im not, you could just set the tarp/rainfly up like a tarp tent and sleep like that. and you can just use teh hammock as a bivy. why would you need to pull up the ends of the hammock?

Depending on the hammock, you may stretch the ends out a bit to keep the netting directly off you is the only reason i can think of :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

DarenN

Postby DarenN » Mon May 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Ridgerunner wrote:
irrationalsolutions wrote:well if you were really hardcore, which by the way im not, you could just set the tarp/rainfly up like a tarp tent and sleep like that. and you can just use teh hammock as a bivy. why would you need to pull up the ends of the hammock?

Depending on the hammock, you may stretch the ends out a bit to keep the netting directly off you is the only reason i can think of :roll:

yep!
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:54 pm

Ordin Aryguy

Postby Ordin Aryguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:25 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Here are a couple links to reasonably priced, different sized Teepee's and Wigwams @SportsmansGuide.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/teepee-tents-by-guide-gear.aspx?a=523649

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/teepee-tents-by-guide-gear.aspx?a=523649

A camping buddy and myself have been experimenting with one of those Sportsman's Guide tents since last winter. It's the 10 x 10, actually. We both wanted to try a hot tent for winter camping, but couldn't see forking over the $$$ for a kifaru. Those things are expensive. The tent and mods were his responsibility, and the stove was mine.

Here's where we ended up last winter...

That stove was made from 8" tubing. It worked OK, but was small enough that it required an hourly feeding of more wood. So, this year I built one a bit bigger, using 12" tubing instead of the 8". This new stove also has an exhaust guide built inside the stove to help extract a little more of the heat before it goes up the chimney, lost forever.

We plan on testing the stove sometime over the next few days, so we'll see for sure if the theories worked.

Ordin
They speak of my drinking, but never of my thirst...

Return to “Shelter Skelter”