Re: Camping Jay Cook State Park Minnesota

Post by oops56 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:18 pm

zelph wrote:ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Where's the fish.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:32 pm

I caught and released lots of fish, bass and northern pike. My camera card was filled up to the max before I started fishing. All fish were catch and release.

Mosquitos were bad near the river but not so at camp. I saw no more than 1 skeeter a day at camp. The weater was absolutely great for camping, backpacking and fishing. Campground was 95% ful during the week and 100% on the weekends. Really nice park to hike in. We had a great time!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:06 pm

I caught and released lots of fish, bass and northern pike. My camera card was filled up to the max before I started fishing. All fish were catch and release.

Mosquitos were bad near the river but not so at camp. I saw no more than 1 skeeter a day at camp. The weater was absolutely great for camping, backpacking and fishing. Campground was 95% ful during the week and 100% on the weekends. Really nice park to hike in. We had a great time!!!!!
Nice pics Zelph. glad the weather cooperated and you and the Mrs. had a great time. How large of a campground are we talking about? I think you could have deleted the burnt marshmellow pic to get one of the monster pike you had to release ! ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:01 pm

I think the park has 82 campsites, all were nice and well maintained. Picking of fire wood in not allowed in the park and it certainly shows that everyone abides by the rule. The trees have all their lower branches :D . Having a good crop of poison ivy around the sites perimeter helps keep em away from the trees also :lol:

All the fish were 1 to 2 pound size. No lunkers!!!! I was tossing Mepps spinners and Rappala's. Fished only 2 mornings. My wife and I did alot of family history research in the local town near by which was the County Seat where lots of info was available. We also did alot of nothing, just stayin in the sack late, eating good, laughing alot and enjoying the life away from home. The weather was fabulous!!!!

The photo of the marshmallow had to be kept to prove i was doing stove related testing :lol: I used my wifes ROF and the campfire to cook with. I made ring muffins with a little bit of error in fuel amount for the first batch. I had to do an addition bake to complete the baking process. I used only half the amount of fuel required to do a bake. :roll: It was early morning and only one eye was awake. :mrgreen:

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:19 pm

sounds like you had a great time. i'm envious. :mrgreen:

it would have been nice to see a pic of a pike. it's going on twenty years since i've caught a pike or walleye. nothin but trout and salmon, red snapper and rock cod, out here on the wet coast.

Daren......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Did you drink filtered water from the St. Louis river that runs through there? My brother was telling me that it isn't very clean due to pollution from ages ago that's still leaching out of the sediment. I did a little searching online and it does appear to be an AoC (Area of Concern).
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:12 am

dlarson wrote:Did you drink filtered water from the St. Louis river that runs through there? My brother was telling me that it isn't very clean due to pollution from ages ago that's still leaching out of the sediment. I did a little searching online and it does appear to be an AoC (Area of Concern).
Good informational link dlarson. Thank you!!! We drank and cooked with purchased Spring Water and we used the park's well water for washing dishes.. We were not aware of the water quality in the area. Just looking at the color of it and knowing of the Iron Range (iron deposits and decaying trees(tannin)) that must be in the water to discolor it makes you not want to drink it.
The St. Louis River System Area of Concern (AoC) is the area being addressed by the St. Louis River System Remedial Action Plan (RAP). The RAP focuses primarily on the 39 miles of the St. Louis River below Cloquet, Minnesota.
The Jay Cook park is about 5 miles down river from Cloquet where they state their concerns begin.

Nice park to camp and hike but filter your water for sure.

Thanks for the "Heads Up" dlarson.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:10 pm

zelph wrote: Thanks for the "Heads Up" dlarson.
No problem. ;) I didn't know either until my brother mentioned it to me.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:12 pm

Typical 2 lane road in northern WI, MN, and MI. Wildflowers were in full bloom all along the highways. Last week of June, 2008