Some pictures from my recent snowshoeing trip

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
Tony

Some pictures from my recent snowshoeing trip

Post by Tony » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:58 pm

These are some pictures from my snow shoeing trip last weekend in the Jagungal Wilderness Area in the Kosciuszco National Park Australian Alps.

We visited Tin Hut but slept in our tents as the hut is rat infested, we recorded a low of -16ºC (about 3ºF)

By all accounts it was a great trip.

Tony

A rocky ridge
The Main Range Australian Alps (note the snow covered Victorian Alps in the right background)
The Kerries Ridge at sunrise
Gungartan Pass on the right which we traveled through to get to Tin Hut
Icy granite ridge
Nearly buried Tin Hut
Out of the window of Tin Hut
the Moon at Sunrise
Ice on granite boulders
Dave and me on Gungartan Trig 2068m with the Main Range behind
Ice on the Gungartan Trig

Ridgerunner

Re: Some pictures from my recent snowshoeing trip

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Great pics, Tony. Looks like you had a COOOOL time. :lol: I needed those to cool me down from the 95 degree heat and high humidity we have been blessed with the past week. We went to a Bengals game saturday and I don't know which was worse; the heat or the Bengals play. My vote goes to the Bengals but just barely. :cry: I think I will be jumping on the Steelers or Colts bandwagon this year ! :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:22 pm

Super photos Tony.

Is the snow hard enough to pitch your tents on it?

What is a Trig(the snow covered tripod)? Is that the ocean in the background to the right of it?

Were you able to have your meals in the Tin Hut even though it was infested? Did they come out of hiding while you were inside?

Were glad all went well. Did you use your sul canister set-up for meals?

On the news tonight there are having freeze warnings for northern Minnesota. Up towards the Canadian/USA boarder I suppose.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Tony

Post by Tony » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:41 pm

Hi Ridgerunner,
Great pics, Tony. Looks like you had a COOOOL time. :lol: I needed those to cool me down from the 95 degree heat and high humidity we have been blessed with the past week. We went to a Bengals game saturday and I don't know which was worse; the heat or the Bengals play. My vote goes to the Bengals but just barely. :cry: I think I will be jumping on the Steelers or Colts bandwagon this year !
Thanks the pictures came out better than I had hoped, I only used a crappy point and shoot camera.

It was a cool time up in the Alps, we normally have lots of 90+ days here in summer and sit outside under the sun and watch cricket, the games go for 5 days at a time.

In winter we watch football, Rugby, Rugby League and Australian Football, I will not talk about my Australian football team this year sounds like your Bengals. my rugby league team is doing a bit better but injuries are starting to have an effect going into the finals.

Tony

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:15 am

Hi Zelph,
Super photos Tony.
thanks
Is the snow hard enough to pitch your tents on it?
Yes no problems at all, finding a flat enough area was the only difficulty.
What is a Trig(the snow covered tripod)? Is that the ocean in the background to the right of it?
No just clouds and hills, I do not think the ocean is visible as there is a mountain range in between. The Australian hills look blue as the Eucalypt trees give off a vapor that gives the blue appearance.
Were you able to have your meals in the Tin Hut even though it was infested? Did they come out of hiding while you were inside?
We ate and cooked inside the hut we only saw one rat in the wood shed but we heard them under the floor. I left a candle set up over night it was gone in the morning and some of the insulation on my JetBoil GCS pot was also gone, my mate had his red drinking mug stolen but we found it later.

Dave left his mug on the fireplace mantle and I found it behind the door on the left next to two large holes in the floor.
Were glad all went well. Did you use your sul canister set-up for meals?
That was the intention, I start using the SUUL stove but I had an o-ring go missing and no spare, I had a backup stove which was my Coleman Extreme which had the pot stand modified to take the JetBoil pot what an awesome stove pot combination for cold weather. I later found the o-ring at the hut that we spent the first night in and used the SUUL stove to melt some drinking water, I will now do some minor improvements mainly with the fuel line. I had also used a slightly stronger/heavier pot stand that could take the weight of the full JetBoil GCS pot.
On the news tonight there are having freeze warnings for northern Minnesota. Up towards the Canadian/USA boarder I suppose.
The seasons must change, we are seeing signs of spring.

A nice poem in the hut log book, i hope you can read it.

Tony
Last edited by Tony on Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mags

Post by Mags » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:55 pm

Nice pics from down under. Thanks for sharing!
The true harvest of my life is intangible.... a little stardust caught, a portion of the rainbow I have clutched
--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Ice on the Gungartan Trig
What is the ice covered structure, Tony ?

I liked the poem, talk about being isolated ,except ,maybe,for his/her friend "Jack". :lol:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Tony

Post by Tony » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:40 pm

Hi Ridgerunner,
What is the ice covered structure, Tony ?
They are called trigs (short for Trigonometrical Station) , I think they where put there in the early days and are to do with surveying a method which is no longer used, most of the hills of any size in OZ have them. Some of them have markers that planes can navigate by and some are made of rocks which we call cairn trigs. The Gungartan trig is made of steel angle iron.

Tony