Burned plastic picnic table

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
zelph

Burned plastic picnic table

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:32 am

I think it was four years ago, my wife and were returning from a camping trip up at Black River Falls WS.(it was Oct.) We stopped at a rest area along I-90 for lunch. I had my DIY pressurised alchy stove in a 2 pound coffee can storage container on the plastic picnic bench. It was lit and was waiting to warm up and prime :lol: :lol: sorry had to laugh when I think of the look on my wifes face :lol: :lol: anyway, the alcohol in it heated up, expanded and overflowed into the can making a very large burner with flames going way way over the top of the can. I had gone back to the trunk of my car to get the rest of the lunch stuff etc.(back beyond the wooden fence you will see in one of the photos. So I was at my car, my wife was standing along side of the picnic table watching the flames coming up out of the big can and she sees the plastic starting to melt and bubble away as the can gets hotter and hotter. Some of you may remember this story from WB :lol: Anyway, my wife used something to knock the hot can off the table onto the concrte slab that she was standing on. Once the can was engulfed in flames my wife startted yelling for me as loud as she could while I was way back there on the other side of the fence by the car. She was yeling for me to come quickly to her aide :lol: :lol:

It was the first pressurized stove that I had designed. I'll see if I can drag up a photo of it from the archives. It contained a wick in the center of it to act as a primer to heat the stove from the inside out, not the other way around. The stove was the first to be listed on Sgt Rocks site. Tiny and his cult made fun of it when I listed it on ebay. Oops56 was on Rocks site also when I started a thread on it. I think Skidsteer may have been there also. I went by the name of Incognito.

Pressurised stoves can be hazardous :roll: Be carefull with them. :mrgreen:

The first photo is the park bench with the "O" permanently branded into it's top. Looking out in the distance is the parking area where I was at the time my wiff started yelling my name so that everyone and their uncle could hear, waiving her arms and pointing down at the flames coming out of the can. I had to do one of those athletic type leaps over the fence to come to my wifes aid licketty splitt, good thing I did'nt trip on the way over the fence. I felt so manly :mrgreen:

These photos were taken Monday of this week.

http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

oops56

Re: Burned plastic picnic table

Post by oops56 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:55 am

Now i remember my first alk. stove it gives me night mears just to think about it its starts with P and its good and lost in the shop.
Man play with fire man get burnt

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:07 pm

I found some photos.
The 1st is the burner with wick in center and the jets are on top. Pot stand is aluminum and works super good. Utilizes the venturi principle to concentrate and speed up the rising heat to impinge upon your pots bottom. The cross support really is a great way to keep the flames focused on the under side of your pot. A breeze will push the flames away only 1/4 + or - a tad of the way away from under the pot. Evolution has taken it's course and we wind up with the StarLyte style stove.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:24 pm

at least you will always have something to remember everytime you stop their. the Incognit - "O" brand. its much better than "zelph was here".
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:24 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:at least you will always have something to remember everytime you stop their. the Incognit - "O" brand. its much better than "zelph was here".
Oh, how clever, my own "Brand" :lol:

samh

Post by samh » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:20 am

I was honestly hoping to find a photo of a completely destroyed picnic table here. I did however find the story charming so all is not lost.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:38 am

samh wrote:I was honestly hoping to find a photo of a completely destroyed picnic table here. I did however find the story charming so all is not lost.
I know where there is a half burned bench in a local forest preserve. It was pushed over a fire pit no doubt. If it's still there I'll take a photo of it today.