Site Admin

Re: Dolphins massive pod

Post by dlarson » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:18 am

Sweet!
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:00 pm

When I saw this massive amount of dolphins I thought of kayakers in the midst of them. What would Deacon Daren pray for if he were caught in the center of such a pod. Daren, got any tales to tell of creatures coming near your craft while out and about.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:25 pm

zelph wrote:When I saw this massive amount of dolphins I thought of kayakers in the midst of them. What would Deacon Daren pray for if he were caught in the center of such a pod. Daren, got any tales to tell of creatures coming near your craft while out and about.
yeah i got a couple storys.

i was on a solo kayak trip on the exposed west coast of Vancouver Island. the closest land to the west would have been, like, Japan. ;) fishing for my supper late one afternoon a Sea Lion surfaced right beside my kayak. this was a big bull. i'd never seen one so close. the size of it's head was possitively staggerring! as big as my entire upper body. he looked me right in the eye and submurged again with a snort. i prayed for invisability.

on the same trip i hooked a huge salmon on a rod and reel not designed for anything near that size. i fought him for a long time and finally got him close enough to see what had been dragging me all over the Pacific ocean for the past hour or so. i have to admit it was fun but when i saw the size of the fish i drew my knife and cut him loose saying "catch ya later!" i prayed for a thirty-foot power boat.

i used to have a thirty foot sailboat. many times i was passed by pods of dolphins and orcas while sailing. i prayed that time would stand still.

the Deacon........
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Great stories Daren :D Thanks for sharing those....... The one about time standing still hits home!!!!!!
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:13 pm

Awesome, Daren ! Not many people get to be that close with nature. Very cool and probably a little unnerving.

A few years ago, I was down at Siesta Key and there was a group of dolphins swimming just out past a reef. I headed out there to try and mingle with the group. They just messed with my head. When I swam toward them, they would reverse and swim back past and around me. After about fifteen minutes of never getting to touch one, I headed back towards the reef for a rest and then back to shore. :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:27 pm

zelph wrote:Great stories Daren :D Thanks for sharing those....... The one about time standing still hits home!!!!!!
you know...
there have been many many times i've wished that a moment would never end. these times have been very important in the story of "ME". they are the building blocks that make me who and what i am today, and i hope for many more in the days to come. we all get to find these precious moments if we are astute enough to recognize them. whether it's paddling into a secluded cove, or stepping over the crest of a rise to look down on a perfect Tarn, we must cherish these moments and pass them on to those who will appreciate. it's very difficult to express the feeling of epiphany.

Daren.......
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast