Mt. Shuksan Panorama

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
ConnieD

Re: Mt. Shuksan Panorama

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Iris printers are excellent for fine art photography. I first saw them, at Photo West show, in San Francisco, CA. It will print panels as well for billboard size photoprints.

I did a billboard once, for our horse show. It was a 5-gaited saddlebred horse and rider, recognizable by other exhibitors. I said, but they are only doing an exhibition; we don't have a competition class for 5-gaited saddlebreds. The next year, we had 5-gaited and 3-gaited saddlebred horse championships.

Expensive to own, I got a business card from a man in Vermont who has the Iris printer instead.

Here is one business, doing commercial products.

Another thing, consider artist's grants. For example, Intersection for the Arts, in San Francisco, has 501(C)(3) grants. They act as a go-between, the assurance you give is (1) you produce art and (2) you have an opening usually with food and refreshments, and (3) you do not spend the money on drugs.

That's about it.

How do you get IN :?:

You have two shows a year. You have your shows in restaurants, coffeeshops, hospital lounges, hospital doctor lounges, hospital cafeterias, senior citizen centers, community centers and public buildings. If you do not have a body of work for you own show, you participate in a group show. Every year, a minimum two shows and you are an artist.

Never sell your work outright: sell the "use" of the art. The contract also specifies you can have your art, with 30 days notice, for art exhibitions. It is your responsibility, spelled out in the contract, to crate and ship and have insurance for the art.

Next, have a body of work, for exhibition on one wall, one and a half walls, two walls, a long corridor, like that. Then, take slides to the museums, for exhibition if they need to fill a space. They advance $5,000 and you collect an additional $5,000 when the exhibit is hung: 1980's price. This is how the "unknown artist" gets shown in a museum: the museum has a space to fill.

I didn't have a scholarship at the San Francisco Art Institute for nothing. The truth is, I learned this stuff from other students. Forget the San Francisco Art Institute: garbage!

If I have 30 paintings, I have a 30-day show at the Rosicrucian Museum. I do "visionary art". I am not in any esoteric "school". I have a contemplative vocation, so says the religious order I was at. They are an augustinian order, in the Episcopal Church. That was right after college.

realityguy,

You know, your photographs are that good. I am not just talking to Tamerlin.

Tamerlin

Postby Tamerlin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:39 pm

ConnieD wrote:Iris printers are excellent for fine art photography.

I'll look into those... but --

Expensive to own, I got a business card from a man in Vermont who has the Iris printer instead.

I've also been making friends with local print shops :)

Another thing, consider artist's grants. For example, Intersection for the Arts, in San Francisco, has 501(C)(3) grants. They act as a go-between, the assurance you give is (1) you produce art and (2) you have an opening usually with food and refreshments, and (3) you do not spend the money on drugs.

Good idea, I'll start looking into that one. I hadn't thought about it. :)

You have two shows a year. You have your shows in restaurants, coffeeshops, hospital lounges, hospital doctor lounges, hospital cafeterias, senior citizen centers, community centers and public buildings. If you do not have a body of work for you own show, you participate in a group show. Every year, a minimum two shows and you are an artist.

I'm half-way there! I have 8 pieces on display at the Sierra Club office at the moment, now I just have to find another :)

Never sell your work outright: sell the "use" of the art. The contract also specifies you can have your art, with 30 days notice, for art exhibitions. It is your responsibility, spelled out in the contract, to crate and ship and have insurance for the art.

You're the 2nd person who's told me that one directly, and I've read it in other guides about how to run a business in photography. It makes perfect sense. (The only exception I'll make is print sales.)

Next, have a body of work, for exhibition on one wall, one and a half walls, two walls, a long corridor, like that. Then, take slides to the museums, for exhibition if they need to fill a space. They advance $5,000 and you collect an additional $5,000 when the exhibit is hung: 1980's price. This is how the "unknown artist" gets shown in a museum: the museum has a space to fill.

I'll have to start checking out the local museums. Another good idea. :)

I didn't have a scholarship at the San Francisco Art Institute for nothing. The truth is, I learned this stuff from other students. Forget the San Francisco Art Institute: garbage!

I've been getting more practical advice from the ASMP and PPA members than I can shake a stick at. That's coming mostly from established photographers who believe that the whole point of having a professional organization is to help aspiring members in the field to succeed. In this case, the field is photography. (Duh ;))

Thanks, since I'm getting started, I'll take all the advice I can get! :)
Rakesh Malik, Photographer/Owner
White Crane Photography, LLC
http://www.WhiteCranePhotography.com

Support my Art for Clean Air fun raiser:
http://indiegogo.com/WhiteCraneClimb

zelph

Postby zelph » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:23 pm

My Kodak "Brownie" does so so. Have not sold any prints yet :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:28 pm

zelph wrote:My Kodak "Brownie" does so so. Have not sold any prints yet :mrgreen:

I don't think you will. Al Capone and friends are all gone now. No more exciting mob war pictures and the new gangsters shoot everyone including kids. It's just not safe out there with a brownie anymore :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:09 pm

Huh?

My mom made beautiful photographs with her Brownie camera on Verichrome Pan. Those prints are still good today, no brown spots, no fading.

Tamerlin,

The Iris printer’s connection with industrial printing meant the name "Iris print" was synonymous with a disposable prepress proof. Nash and Holbert came up with the name "digigraph" to try to distinguish their work from the industrial process. Another generic name “giclée” is also used for this type of print. Some artist and fine art printers still prefer to call prints produced on an Iris printer an "Iris print".

The printer has a "select" tile printing option, that "automagically" tiles the photo and prints out strips on roll paper or actual "tiles".

Tamerlin

Postby Tamerlin » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:12 pm

ConnieD wrote:Huh?
The printer has a "select" tile printing option, that "automagically" tiles the photo and prints out strips on roll paper or actual "tiles".

I'm intrigued. I will definitely have to check that out! :)
Rakesh Malik, Photographer/Owner
White Crane Photography, LLC
http://www.WhiteCranePhotography.com

Support my Art for Clean Air fun raiser:
http://indiegogo.com/WhiteCraneClimb

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:16 pm

zelph,

Here is some "technical talk" for you.
Make photographs for the light-ratio. Learn to see the light-ratio: a 1-degree spot meter helps.
What does the film handle? What does the print handle? 3: 1, 7: 1, 9: 1, 11: 1 :?:
Ilford XP-1 does great B&W with C-41 processing. Maybe XP-2 is as good :?:
The "magic hour" as well as "partly cloudy" sunlight has the longest useble light-ratios.
Mom got beautiful photographs with her Brownie camera and Ektar lens. No kidding.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:28 pm

That's beautiful up there. I looked at the album. Is that one of the tents you made

Single wall tent with a hammock tarp over it..spent the night in a hurricane and monsoon rolled into one.. :lol: The wife's first overnight hike in her life. :roll: I thought it was going to be her last when a sideways gust flattened the tent with us in it at 5am in the morning... :lol: She really liked the trip.. :shock:

Hmm..those chain lakes pics were supposed to be thumbnails. :roll: .sorry..haven't looked at this thread for awhile..doing other stuff..
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

sudden

Postby sudden » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:22 pm

I was joking about the brownie, They were the old reporters camera. They do take nice pictures. I have one here somewhere.
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:09 pm

Do you have film for it :?:

That would be so cool to have pictures, today, made with a Brownie camera. Here is my vacation.

Return to “Amazing Photos”