Ringneck Pheasant

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
Bfinnigan

Ringneck Pheasant

Postby Bfinnigan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:58 pm

We used to have a good flock of Chinese Ringneck pheasants but for the last 12 years we have not seen any. About a month ago this rooster showed up and we started putting out black sunflower seeds. And of course he has been dropping by almost everyday now.

My daughter has named him "Herbert".

He has been gone a couple days now during the snow but showed up this morning with his new girlfriend.

Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

Ridgerunner

Re: Ringneck Pheasant

Postby Ridgerunner » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:27 pm

They look a little plumper than our Ringnecks here in the midwest! :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:46 pm

Mr Herbert has been chowing black oil sunflower seeds and cracked corn along with the regular bird food. He showed up about a month ago and has been visiting the pheasant buffet daily. He has been growing fast if you compare the pics. Now that we don't have an outside cat a lot of critters are hanging out in our yard.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:30 am

What..you didn't feed him turkey today? :o

:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:48 pm

He's leaving the goat barn after discovering the alfalfa pellets. The goats don't chase any critters out of the barn, even the wild cotton tails.

zelph

Postby zelph » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:44 pm

The first photo looks like Herbert is a rogue and has had his tail feathers plucked out. They sure do look shortened.

Feeding him good made him look a lot better :D

Nice to be in an area where you can see wildlife of the animal kind :D

thanks for getting videos and sharing. I haven't seen any pheasants this year. Coyotes must be taking a toll on them, fox also.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:53 pm

My wife and I spent over a year looking for a great piece of property. We wanted a mountain view, partially treed and enough acreage to be a long ways away from neighbors. The only downside is we both have 30 mile commutes. But the benefits far outnumber the long drive. Most of the property around us is cleared for pasture. of our 8 acres only about one acre is cleared, the rest is old growth trees, wild apple, hazelnut and lots of brush. But the brush is cover for so many critters that we see them so much more then our neighbors.

But the major reason I hike and back pack is to see critters in their own environment. My daughter has seen so many animals for the first time in the wilderness, not the zoos. She can spot them as fast or usually faster then I can when we are outside.

It's also very cheap to live out here. Our monthly mortgage payment for 8 acres, mountain view, two ponds, a creek, 4 bdrm 2000 sq ft house is less then what a one bedroom appt is in Tacoma. I can't fathom how someone can pay so much for so little. And not even own it. You couldn't pay me to live in the city or burbs. I would go insane within a couple days.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:33 am

We have a half acre in the middle "burbs" of Lynnwood but maintain my own 100'x100' natural environment park of 2nd growth fir trees,natural vegetation(lots edible) and trails with raccoons,opossums,squirrels,lot of birds from stellar jays to pigeons to goldfinches and hummingbirds that pass through..or stop and stay awhile,getting along well and entertaining our two cats.
My other place out by Lake Crescent gets the larger critters,especially deer and I have heard of bears and seen pictures of large mountain lions within 100yards.. on 1-1/2 acres of woods up there.
Someone has to rent houses,that's inevitable;fortunately it's not us. :lol: With one house paid for and the other one at about 80% paid for..we are in pretty much the same boat as you.With both houses built for super energy efficiency,the energy bills are minimal and most heat provided by wood,with a large supply for probably our lifetime..I just wish we didn't have all those damn taxes.. :shock:
:lol:
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Life sounds good foryou Finnigan, glad it worked out that way for you and your family. RG, you're doing well for yourself also, hang in there, someday you'll be able to leave the burbs and move to the Island :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Photos”