Snow shoeing Upper Skyline Trail Mt Rainer

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
Bfinnigan

Snow shoeing Upper Skyline Trail Mt Rainer

Postby Bfinnigan » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:57 pm

I finally got my wife to go with my daughter and I up in the snow. It was supposed to be partly clear but like most alpine weather it doesn't always turn out that way.

So instead it was 19 deg with 20-25 mph winds. The wind was from the northeast and very cold and dry. It was a good test of the winter clothing.
A -12 deg wind chill factor is a great way to feel alive. :shock:

My wife is planning on training her hood to fetch real soon. She still can't get it to even come when she calls it.

Tatoosh range south of the mountain.

Anvil Rock at the 10,000' level of the mountain.

Some ugly dude that got into the park when the rangers weren't looking. This is the kind of riff-raff you have to watch out for on the trails.

The Ghillie (AKA Kelly) Kettle roaring along.

Our lunch pit under the trees, better then a five star restaurant. Lunch with my two most favorite ladies.

A few times it got a little ugly with the white out clouds, wind and snow.

Coming back down we saw a few sun breaks.

Last edited by Bfinnigan on Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Even a bad day on the mountain is better than a good day at the office.

sudden

Re: Snow shoeing Upper Skyline Trail Mt Rainer

Postby sudden » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:46 pm

Beautiful scenery. You guys/ladies look too happy in that snow. All I saw today was the back of my snow blower.

finn, what video camera are you using in that cold?
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:40 am

They are happy because they have boiling hot chocolate, not just semi warm out of a thermos. I use a Cannon powerShot SX1000. It's a dig cam but it takes better video then my JVC camcorder. But as always Youtube must compress the video and destroy half the quality.

I will soon have my own photo hosting website with all my hi-res pics and video.

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:49 am

Bfinnigan wrote: But as always Youtube must compress the video and destroy half the quality.

I've seen some videos on youtube that let you select up to 720p quality. The problem is connection speed. If you don't have a fast connection, you have to wait for it to load. There's a noticeable difference in quality at 720.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:22 am

Those whiteouts look scary. I don't blame your daughter for staying close behind :D Thank goodness for a ray or two of sun light, makes for a warmer outing. The hot chocolate was the best part of the trip. Will your wife be going out again soon?

Great photos again, thank you!!!

Parkland Security needs to keep a closer lookout for the riffraff they let in the park. good thing you got a photo of him to have Security post a copy of it on the Most Wanted List :lol:

Do the rangers use snowmobiles to blaze trails for hikers?
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:30 pm

That is the only part of the park that is open during the winter so it gets heavy use. And the trails are very deeply cut in. So I consider it much safer to go on winter excursions in an area that has a lot of people, rangers and well marked trails.

They just found a dead hiker last night in the North Cascades that took off just with his dog and fell. And of course the news referred to him as "experienced".

Do the rest of you guys ever yell at your TV when some outdoors person does something stupid and they refer to them as "experienced"?

Around here each year somebody(s) just has to try to climb Rainier in the dead of January. And they usually get into trouble. Their friends and the news calls them experienced. IF THEY WERE EXPERIENCED THEY WOULD KNOW BETTER THEN TO CLIMB A FREAKIN" 14,000 ft MOUNTAIN IN WINTER.

Mt Hood in OR is even more hungry for fresh humans. Every winter she has to snack on several climbers. It's a smaller mountain but must still be growing with that kind of appetite. :o

Bfinnigan

Postby Bfinnigan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 pm

I'm pretty sure Santa is getting me a Bushnell Backtracker. A certain person in our house is not good at clearing the internet history on her computer. :? I will be a bit more venturous having that at least.

No......I wasn't snooping. I.....ah was um..........adjusting the browser settings for her PC. Yeaaaaa that's the ticket. :oops:

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:15 pm

Great pictures Bfinnigan! Man does it look cold. I'm glad I am inside right now. Keep your family as warm as poosible(hot chocolate and eskimo suit) and they will enjoy the adventures on a regular basis. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

sudden

Postby sudden » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:23 pm

Bfinnigan wrote:I'm pretty sure Santa is getting me a Bushnell Backtracker. A certain person in our house is not good at clearing the internet history on her computer. :? I will be a bit more venturous having that at least.

No......I wasn't snooping. I.....ah was um..........adjusting the browser settings for her PC. Yeaaaaa that's the ticket. :oops:

You should look into this one as well. Very nice tool for worried families and friends.

zelph

Postby zelph » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:29 pm

Bfinnigan wrote:I'm pretty sure Santa is getting me a Bushnell Backtracker. A certain person in our house is not good at clearing the internet history on her computer. :? I will be a bit more venturous having that at least.

Now that you've cleared it she won't be able to find it again, your bad!!! :o :mrgreen: :roll:

Your excursions look like the gps units are a sure thing to have with you, all three of you. We don't want you on the evening news as being "lost and experienced"

Your video sure makes snowshoeing look exhausting in that area. 3 steps and rest, 3 steps and rest, pheww!!!! time for hot chocolate puff puff puff!!! :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Return to “Amazing Photos”