Who's got a spare camera and wants to try this :)

Your most amazing photos.
Some funny photos as well.
sudden

Who's got a spare camera and wants to try this :)

Postby sudden » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Found this site today

http://www.paulillsley.com/airphoto/sys ... kites.html

I don't have enough cameras to risk it but though some of you might be interested in making your own kit.

What I found interesting (and why I posted it here) is that you can do this with a hot air balloon and a heat source, instead of helium. Ultralight alcohol stoves anyone?

Now we have a new test criteria: Altitude gain :ugeek:
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Re: Who's got a spare camera and wants to try this :)

Postby ConnieD » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:20 pm

I saw photos from a man, in Alaska, who photographed from his kayak like that.

The photos he had of his immediate area where he lived and kayaked were spectacular.

He used a kite.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:35 pm

There is a company around here that does that,but uses a small RC controllable blimp.Real estate companies hire him to help sell the local waterfront mansions with aerial views they can't get otherwise..I do have a remote shutter release(sender/receiver) for a camera that is supposed to work at 1000' feet away,haven't ever tried it beyond 125' though,depth of my back yard.
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:49 pm

I was "googling" kite aerial photography.

Do it!

I know why I like mountains and hills: I get that view of the contour of the land.

The photos look like the landscape I picture in my mind. It may be how I stay oriented so well in the mountains.

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:05 pm

You can't depend on wind and air currents to hold the kite where you want it...why they use the blimps that are controllable.My neighbor was a landscaper for a lot of wealthy people along the shoreline of Mercer Island and showed me the link to their website after watching them take the pictures of one of the houses.I don't recall the company name anymore...

Googled..try this--->
http://www.atrphoto.com/
The views and opinions expressed by this person are his own and not the general consensus of others on this website.Realityguy

Ridgerunner

Postby Ridgerunner » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:32 pm

They use blimps at the Cincinnati Cyclones hockey games to fly around during intermissions and they will drop coupons for free food or clothing. It is pretty neat to see them cruising around the arena. Then they bring them down and land them at the end of the ice---pretty cool! :D
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Postby zelph » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:01 pm

Totally interesting, thanks sudden :D

How to keep it from just drifting away on me? I use 130 pound test Cabela’s Green Dart Dacron fishing line (http://www.cabelas.com). It comes in a 1200 yard reel and it works great. It might be a bit heavy for a light system but I’ve never had it break and I use a pretty big lifting kite that will almost pull me off my feet. If you wish to position the camera over a specific point you can tie two lines to the balloon and have two people stand on opposite sides of the object to be imaged. If there is no wind the camera can be positioned directly over the desired point. If there happens to be a breeze the two lines will assist in positioning the balloon above the point.

Light weight line for something around camp :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

sudden

Postby sudden » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 am

I think a hot air alcohol burner version would be frowned on anywhere but over water, in the desert, or snow. I wouldn't want to lose control of it and start a fire. The blimps and kites seem like fun but make the whole thing more complicated or expensive. Still,,,we might have a potential survival mod here. Rig your stove up to a space blanket bag when you see the plane :)
"People are not persuaded by what we say, but rather by what they understand."

ConnieD

Postby ConnieD » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:45 am

If you had a waterproof digital camera, or had it in a soft case with a hard lens cover opening over it (built-in much like a "dry-bag" for kayaking - sold for water sports) or put it in a hard waterproof (and shatterproof) case, for example, and used it in a kite over water like the man in Alaska did from his kayak that would minimize the risk to your digital camera.

You could set the digital camera to automatically snap a picture, every 3 seconds, for example.

Huh? :)

realityguy

Postby realityguy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:54 am

In that instance..just use an underwater case for the camera..I've got one I've been trying to sell on craigs.You still need a remote shutter which could be sender/receiver wireless one or a helluva long string.I don't know any camera that you can set for pictures three seconds apart.Another item I have is a "sequential shutter"..one that you set for a "duration of time"..hook to the camera, and it clicks the shutter at the designated timed sequences...I don't remember what the variables are on the thing..I'd have to go find it and check..something like 1 second to 5 minutes or more..but it's heavy.Weight would be a big variable in what you might have to send up there. :roll:

Edit: Image

Here it is..Correct time sequence variable is 1/2 second to 10 minutes..which would work great for that.I recall it had a problem of not holding the time sequence(tested in the 1/2-1 second range) and slowing down every time it clicked..probably needs lube inside the box...another project.. :lol: Without the tripod mount it isn't bad for weight..The shutter release is made for a 35mm slr with a power winder.I figure a small 'L' bracket or something to suspend the shutter release lever over a digital camera's button would probably be easy to set up. The other wireless remote I have is smaller and mounts to a camera's tripod mount over a camera's shutter button with an antenna.Sender is another unit with an antenna in your hand..made by Kalimar.I've never seen another one other than the one I have..even on ebay.
Yeah..I've got lots of weird stuff... :roll:
:lol:

Return to “Amazing Photos”