Batteries can be harmful to devices Heads Up

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Batteries can be harmful to devices Heads Up

Post by zelph » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:13 pm

When storing devices that use batteries for a long periode of time remove the batteries.

I'll try to make another terminal and then see it they still work :roll: :oops:

These photos show what my two way radios look like because I did not remove the batteries prior to storage...Oops!!!!!!!!

Image...The terminal on the right was completely consumed by battery acid
Image...Haste makes waste :roll:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

beemerphill

Re: Batteries can be harmful to devices Heads Up

Post by beemerphill » Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:08 am

Zelph,
Before you try to fix it, call the battery manufacturer and explain what happened. This happened to a camera that I had, and I called the Coppertop people. They made it right with a check for a replacement camera. There was no whining or argument. Just a polite person who asked reasonable questions and made a decision on the phone. My check arrived about a week later. It is certianly worth a try.
beemerphill

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:38 am

beemerphill wrote:Zelph,
Before you try to fix it, call the battery manufacturer and explain what happened. This happened to a camera that I had, and I called the Coppertop people. They made it right with a check for a replacement camera. There was no whining or argument. Just a polite person who asked reasonable questions and made a decision on the phone. My check arrived about a week later. It is certianly worth a try.
beemerphill
Thank You for that info, I'll do that and see if I can get the same results. :) It is certainly worth a try.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:02 pm

Perhaps a little water/baking soda mix and some steel wool can clean that up.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:50 pm

Also take note that lithium batteries can damage some devices, such as headlamps. something to do with the voltage don't rememember the details. Just to make sure that the device is safe to use lithium batteries in before using them in it! :geek: :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:47 pm

I have not contacted the battery company yet but will soon :D I got sidetracted making a stove or two :o

Baking soda would surely neutralize the acid and make it clean up pretty good. Good tip, thank you.

Thanks for the heads-up on the lithium batteries. I've heard that elseware. Anybody know the full scoop on them? Is it something about a high spike of electricity when installing them?

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:28 am

Yes, from what I gather lithium batteries can produce voltage spikes that may harm the electronics during use. Additionally, lithium batteries can produce as much as 3 volts unlike typical alkaline batteries that maintain a steady 1.5 volts.
They are also prone to rapid discharge if shorted out. During the rapid discharge the voltage can spike, they can generate a lot of heat and may even explode.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:13 pm

dlarson wrote:Yes, from what I gather lithium batteries can produce voltage spikes that may harm the electronics during use. Additionally, lithium batteries can produce as much as 3 volts unlike typical alkaline batteries that maintain a steady 1.5 volts.
They are also prone to rapid discharge if shorted out. During the rapid discharge the voltage can spike, they can generate a lot of heat and may even explode.
Thanks for that interesting info dlarson. Made me think od a regular 9 volt battery that exploded inside of a commercial grade thermostat. I'll see if I can find it and get a photo of it posted. I had a nine volt one in my pocket that shorted out by the change/coins that was in there with it. It got really hot and I felt it on my leg. Made me do some fast action on getting it out of my pocket, yikes!!!! I learn the hard way :roll: :roll: