the hydrogen generator

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
irrationalsolutions

the hydrogen generator

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:25 pm

i not really sure what you want to know so here goes. if you have any questions i will be happy to answer what i can.

the first thing you need is power. its not the volts you need but the amps, the more the better. a lot of people say that it uses more power that it creates but thats bs. if it built right the alternator on the car will creat all the power needed you can also put a bigger alternator on the car or a second one to run just the generator. other applications include running a generator and you can make a torch that gets really hot but i haven't tried that one yet.

the actual hydrogen generator i made was a really old under the sink water purifier (this is the model i had that worked the best) they have good seals and are very ridgid. you have to get the smallest inside diamiter the old ones taper at the bottom. then i used thin stainless steel plating i cut squares larger than the i.d. spot welded the sides so they stayed together. you have to calculate how many you need depending on how deep the case is. i marked the top plate of the stack with a circle 1/4 smaller than the i.d. then using a drill press drilled three 1/4 holes in an equallateral triangle 1/2 in inside the edge of the circle and a 1in hole in the center then i drilled a 1in hole on the edge of the circle have the hole was inside the circle half out. then a 1/2 in hole the same way. if you do that right they should half way between two of the 1/4 holes. all the holes have to line up right or it will not work thats why i welded the square plated together. if done right when you cut the circles out you can flip everyother one over the 1/4 in holes will still line up and the 1in and 1/2 in holes will overlap.

it is important to use stainless steel because every other metel will oxidize and corrode. (sorry i have bad spelling)

once you cut all the circles the same i used 1/4in steel rods three of them with a nut on one end. this is a temperary use rod but it needs to be metel. run the rods up through the 1/4 in holes the a 1/4 in spacer and each rod the the next circle plate but fliped over. then a quater in spacer. do this pattern until it is the right height and put a nut on each rod to hold all the plated tight. this should fit inside the housing and the top plate should be about 1in fron the bottom of where the top sits when sealed. now i used 3/16 stainless steel uncoated cable weld the bottom plate in the 1/2 in half hole to the bottom of the cable ( i used 2 2ft lengths of cable) then weld the third plate up to the cable it should work to everyother one keep the cable tight. then do the same with the second plate up and every other one. now you should have everyother plate in contact on one cable and the others in contact on the other cable. they can not short out it will not work. next take out one of the rods and replace it with an nylon threaded rod and spacers they dont conduct electricity ( this part takes some time to get all the spacers in) then do the other two rods the same way. then i drilled a 1/4 in hole to line up with each of the cables in the 1in gap at the top. cut the cables to meet the holes. then weld the ends of the cables the thr top of 2in long 1/4in stainless steel hex head bolts. next take guts of the generator and put it on a table and look at it you are almost done. i used that stuff you dip the handle of tools in to rubber coat then and paint it on the cable so if it does touch the big holes they arent welded to it wont short out. and do the same on the end of the cables from the last plate weld to the bolt. put a stainless washer on the bolts then i used the rubber washers used to repair sink faucets they should be hard to get on it makes a better seal. then put the guts in the housing put the bolts through the 1/4 in holes put another rubber washer on each another stainless washer and a lock nut. thats why you use a hex head nut with the weld you can still tighten it. make sure its tight you need a good seal.

now the top of the housing has two threaded holes in it for water supply lines i put a pressure gauge in one but you can just put a plug in it. then i used a stainless braided supply line the length you need it to get to where you are going with it. and you are done. it is a good idea to put a flash back surrpresser in the line.

you use the extra length on the bolts to connect the power. make sure when you wire it you dont have a straight connection it will keep worging and drain the battery when the car is off. my friend wired it to his ignition.

i dont use it yet on my car because it is new and you run it into the air intake and i'm still looking for a way to bypass the o2 senser on the intake if not it messes up the air ratio to the engine and makes it less efficient. so the one i built i gave to a friend that has an old truck without a computer in it that was getting about 18mpg and he is how getting 42mpg.

as a refference i was in the navy i worked with the reactor and the weapons on subs so i have a strong science background. it really does work.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

irrationalsolutions

Re: the hydrogen generator

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:52 pm

i forgot a few things...

any clean water is ok to use i use tap water mix 1 1/2 tblsp baking soda with a gallon of water the science gets tricky to explain but the baking soda is the electrolyte and the electricty bonds the oxygen with oxygen and hydrogen with hydrogen and at regular temps they are gases. the only exaults are water after conbustion.

you can run a car of nothing but this but you have to modify the engine. the crabon residue left from the burning of gasoline is what lubes the top half of the engine so you would have to have someting else to replace that and it works well as a fuel additive.

Skidsteer

Post by Skidsteer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:15 pm

My head hurts.

What kind of pressures we talking about here?
Skids

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein, (attributed)

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:21 pm

the only reason i used the pressure gauge was to test starting the truck of just hydrogen. i needed about 35 psi for that. after the test we turned the gas line back on i was just too lazy the change it to a plug.

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:26 pm

and sorry about your head i think it was zelph that asked for this. just smile nood and act like you know what it mean. thats what i did when i first heard the idea. then i started testing. two months and a family sized bottle of tums later this is what i came up with.

zelph

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:13 pm

Thank you very much for posting the information.

What volume of gas is generated by your container per min.? ballpark? Wild guess :)

Is it a set amount that's injected or is regulated to increase as you accelerate for faster speed?

How much water is consumed over a 6 hour period? ballpark? Wild guess :)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:20 pm

the amount of gas depends on the amount of power. the more you press the peddle the more rpm the more jucie from the alternator. its all relitive. and the water consumption is not much but again it depends on the power. you use more highway but it is more efficient that way too.

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:37 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:the amount of gas depends on the amount of power. the more you press the peddle the more rpm the more jucie from the alternator. its all relitive. and the water consumption is not much but again it depends on the power. you use more highway but it is more efficient that way too.
Thanks for the additional info. I'll try my hand at a generator this winter. I recently purchased an 88 motor home(fixer-upper at a yard sale $2,200) that could use some help on gas efficiency/help :mrgreen: Plenty of room under the hood for a generator and it has a good supply of water. I'm all for saving a buck or two ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DaddyMnM

Post by DaddyMnM » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:17 pm

so the one i built i gave to a friend that has an old truck without a computer in it that was getting about 18mpg and he is how getting 42mpg.
This is quite a claim. Why have I not heard of this before? I have an F150 and I'd love it if it got 40 miles a gallon. You could save Ford and GM with this technology :shock:

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:28 am

they have had this tech since the 1960's everytime somebody gets one working well and they try to put a patent on it a oil or car company buys it and sits on it. if you look into it a car was done to run off it here in south carolina and was all over the news. most people are too lazy to build one or think its too hard. a small test you can do with it is to take a 6 volt battery, two wires and two bolts. get a non-metal bowl fill with water pour some baking soda in it strip both ends of the wires. wire the bolts to the wires drop them in the water where they dont touck and hook the wires to the battery. you can see it work on a small scale.