Timber Rattle Snake

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
zelph

Timber Rattle Snake

Post by zelph » Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:47 pm

I had to do some research on this snake because I had heard on tv that the snake was not dangerous/aggressive. It was a Wisconsin public television channel.

Thought you might be interested:

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/LAND/er/ ... timber.htm
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

DarenN

Re: Timber Rattle Snake

Post by DarenN » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:09 pm

i hate snakes. i paddle with killer whales, but snakes give me the willies.

"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

zelph

Post by zelph » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:28 am

DarenN wrote:i hate snakes. i paddle with killer whales, but snakes give me the willies.

Killer whales=Instant death

Snakes=slow death+the willies

DarenN

Post by DarenN » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:18 pm

zelph wrote:
DarenN wrote:i hate snakes. i paddle with killer whales, but snakes give me the willies.

Killer whales=Instant death

Snakes=slow death+the willies
Orcas don't eat people. never have. some are keyed to salmon, some to seals. people do far more damage to Orcas than the other way around.

a couple years ago there was an orphanned young Orca near here that thought ALL boats were Mama. he would swim along with boats and ocasionally rub up against them.
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:10 pm

a couple years ago there was an orphanned young Orca near here that thought ALL boats were Mama. he would swim along with boats and ocasionally rub up against them.
How sweet....except to the sailers of those boats who may have worried about being capsized. I wonder if the youngun ever found mom? I've seen documentaries of sea kayakers floating amonst a whale or two...pretty neat but I would think a little unsettling. :)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Tony

Post by Tony » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:02 pm

i hate snakes. i paddle with killer whales, but snakes give me the willies.
I walk in country with some of the deadliest snakes in the world and the most common that I come across the Brown snake has the second most deadliest venom in the world. I regularly see them but they are more scared of you than you are of them, but some times you startle them and then they can become aggressive, I nearly was bitten by one a few years ago it reared its head ready to strike, I jumped backwards though the air (JC only walked on water I claim that I walked on air that day) and it watched me for quite while with head reared the whole time. (the brown snake has small fangs and usually have trouble penetrating thick gaiters, I was not wearing gaiters at the time, I soon put them on) Most of the time the Browns just slither away when they hear or see you coming.

I also see Tiger snakes and Red Belly Black snakes which are up there with the rest when it comes to deadliness.

http://snake.fol.nl/Page2.html

The picture below was taken on the same trip but just after this was taken a small black snake slithered across the map that I was looking at it, it came from behind so I did not see it until it was on the map.

But like every where we all have dangers and you get used to how to live with these dangers, we all take a lot of risks every time we venture outdoors, I am not going to stop walking because I have a very slight chance of being bitten by a deadly snake even though most of my walking is done in very remote country. Very few people get bitten by snakes and if they do they are usually doing something stupid like trying to kill it or provoking it.

Tony

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:56 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I jumped backwards though the air (JC only walked on water I claim that I walked on air that day) and it watched me for quite while with head reared the whole time.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're funnier than Crocidile Dundee :o

You walk with the deadliest, now that's scary!!! I'd have my 1/4 thick leather gaiters on all the time.(or 2,000 denier nylon) Call me chicken :mrgreen:

When the snake slithered across the map I bet you stepped back a few meters hovering a few meters in the air. You might be known as one of his apostles, you have learned well :mrgreen:

Stay on the alert, stay safe as spring approaches :D

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Interesting stuff.

Snakes don't really bother me. If anything, it's spiders and some other insects that creep me out.
The only snakes I've ever seen outside are harmless garter snakes. Here in Minnesota they're black with yellow stripes down the back.

That reminds me of when I was about 12 years old. I was at a family reunion at a large house on a lake. There was a very rocky north shore type beach and I found a large group of them under a rock by accident. I was able to grab 2 of them, each about 12 inches or less in length, and I brought them back to the house to show my mom. Of course she let loose a small scream and yelled at me to get rid of them so I returned them to the beach. That memory is still very vivid in my mind. :lol:
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

zelph

Post by zelph » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:17 pm

dlarson wrote:Interesting stuff.

Snakes don't really bother me. If anything, it's spiders and some other insects that creep me out.
The only snakes I've ever seen outside are harmless garter snakes. Here in Minnesota they're black with yellow stripes down the back.

That reminds me of when I was about 12 years old. I was at a family reunion at a large house on a lake. There was a very rocky north shore type beach and I found a large group of them under a rock by accident. I was able to grab 2 of them, each about 12 inches or less in length, and I brought them back to the house to show my mom. Of course she let loose a small scream and yelled at me to get rid of them so I returned them to the beach. That memory is still very vivid in my mind. :lol:
Good story :D I had a 2 foot snake of the garden type come into camp this last outing. Told my wife, snake under your chair, she did a Tony run likitty split, I went over and grabbed it by the tail and whipped over to the next vacant campsite.
:lol: :lol: 1/2 hour later another one came slithering in our direction but I intercepted it before it got too close to scare my wife the way it did the first time. The Walk On Air Shuffle by Tony :mrgreen:

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:41 am

:lol: Good story Zelph! Two snakes in such a short period, your very lucky!
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin