Personal Protection when on the trail

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
User avatar
Pure Mahem
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:13 am

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by Pure Mahem » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:41 pm

I like spam with rice and spaghetti sauce mmmmm mmmm good! Sometimes I don't think the can SPAM comes in will last as long as the meat is meant to! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

User avatar
Pure Mahem
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:13 am

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by Pure Mahem » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:58 pm

While I share in the Black Rifle Disease I couldn't afford to pick one up before inaugaration time. I hope I don't regret it. On the upside I have my main 308 sniper rifle almost finished and I just got done spraying the last coat of tactical black on my 17 hmr sniper gun wich in comparison is almost identical to my main weapon with the exception of recoil and DBM. I have calculated its definately more cost effective in terms of ammo prices but maybe not distance. However unless I have a scope that I can actually see to place the bullet past 200yards I don't think that will be an issue. I will say I was very surprised in the power of my new 17hmr. recoil is almost non existant. And it will drop a deer, I plead the fith on information concerning how I know this, so I would say it is a very economical and effective weapon to have. I got the Marlin 917V with a cheapy walmart scope that serves it's purpose very well. I will also disclose that the water bottle silencer works very well with this particular weapon. I will not go into this particular item further either as i will plead the fith on my knowledge there of. I will say my secret in making it work is electrical tape and a bic. Nice AR Sarbar!!! I was planning on an Essential Arms build up from scratch in OD but it's not in my budget right now. Hopefully the Democrats don't pass stupid gun laws that will keep me from getting it next year. :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

User avatar
Pure Mahem
Posts: 447
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:13 am

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by Pure Mahem » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:00 am

Ironic! I've always considered myself a democrat but never once considered infringing on the right to bear arms in anyway!!!! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

User avatar
zelph
Posts: 15831
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by zelph » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:08 am

Pure Mahem wrote:Ironic! I've always considered myself a democrat but never once considered infringing on the right to bear arms in anyway!!!! :mrgreen:
We don't want anyone infringing on our right to bear arms. :mrgreen:

Nice set of weapons you have.

My honey is a ruger 44 rifle, short and sweet. When the SHTF we won't get long shots unless you're out west hunkered down. :mrgreen:
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

User avatar
dlarson
Site Admin
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by dlarson » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 am

The only gun I own is a 410 shotgun handed down from my Grandpa. If I remember correctly it says the name of the department store, Montgomery Ward, on it. It's a single shot with a pretty thick and heavy barrel. A police officer, and the father of a friend of mine in high school, liked to fix guns as a hobby and restored it for me! The broken firing pin was replaced with one pulled from a sawed-off 410 used in a robbery. He also fixed the broken wood stock as well as removing all the rust and bluing it back to normal.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Allen
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:14 am

Pure Mahem wrote:I like spam with rice and spaghetti sauce mmmmm mmmm good!
That does sound good. I would add some cheese.

Cheers!

Allen
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:20 am

dlarson wrote:The only gun I own is a 410 shotgun handed down from my Grandpa. If I remember correctly it says the name of the department store, Montgomery Ward, on it. It's a single shot with a pretty thick and heavy barrel. A police officer, and the father of a friend of mine in high school, liked to fix guns as a hobby and restored it for me! The broken firing pin was replaced with one pulled from a sawed-off 410 used in a robbery. He also fixed the broken wood stock as well as removing all the rust and bluing it back to normal.
410's are sweet.

Your Grandpa's Gun was made to shoot lead shot, and may not handle a steady diet of modern shells .

Your Gunsmith friend should know for sure.

Cheers!

User avatar
dlarson
Site Admin
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:02 pm
Location: minnesota

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by dlarson » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:16 am

Allen wrote:Your Grandpa's Gun was made to shoot lead shot, and may not handle a steady diet of modern shells .
That's a great point Allen. To be completely honest, I don't think I've ever used it. My Dad has a 410, and a .22 rifle I used to shoot when I was younger and I just haven't had the urge to take my own 410 out. He's got a 12 gauge as well but no hand guns.

For Father's Day this year my brothers and I brought my Dad to the shooting range with a bunch of hand guns and it was, pardon the pun, a blast. :)
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

User avatar
DarenN
Posts: 2816
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:46 am
Location: Surrey, B.C. Canada

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by DarenN » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:24 am

i like the .410 too. :) mine is an over/under with the .410 on the bottom and a .22 LR on top. single trigger. the hammer rotates to select the barrel.

Daren.....
"I'd rather be happy than right." Slartibartfast

Allen
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:23 am

DarenN wrote:i like the .410 too. :) mine is an over/under with the .410 on the bottom and a .22 LR on top. single trigger. the hammer rotates to select the barrel.

Daren.....
That's sounds cool! :)

Cheers!

Post Reply