Personal Protection when on the trail

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Pure Mahem

Re: Personal Protection when on the trail

Post by Pure Mahem » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:25 am

So many toys so little time! ....and $!!!! :mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

Pure Mahem

Post by Pure Mahem » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:41 am

Just a thought here.... The Revolutionary War was mainly fought in New England by our for fathers. Our for fathers were the first snipers. So it stands to reason that in a TEOTWAWKI SHTF situation an extrapulated perfected sniping technique would be the way to go. Unless your in a town the only thing you got here are tons and tons of Green Mountains and Trees and Knolls. As we practice our camoflauging technique every year around hunting season I would consider my self prepared.

Another thought.... I don't know how many times I've actually had my hunting buddy, not always the same buddy, walk by me and have no clue where I was. It seems to me that either our observation skills need improving or I'm doing damn well at blending in for a 6'1" 400lb guy!I am after all not exactly easy to miss! This isn't necesarily applied to just the woods either how many of us are watched every day without knowing that someone is watching. For example do you ever scan windows of building and roof lines when your walking down the street, do you notice the person sitting in the car you just walked by, I remember one of my jobs there was an open upstairs store roomand me and one of my coworkers hung out there for a while throwing wadded up paper towels at other coworkers down below to see there reaction They would look all around and asume it must of just magicallly appeared or the guy next to them did it. and even when they were telling the guy next to them to quit it and another towel would hit them from behind they never once looked up to think that someone could be in the store room doing it. Just an observation I've had seems like one of the colleges should do some sort of study like that to see exactly how comfortable people get with there surroundings that they don't think they are being watched. I personally think we've become lax as a society. But then again would I have noticed the shooter in the clock tower, I can't say!!!!:mrgreen:
"Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!"

sarbar

Post by sarbar » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:02 am

Pure Mahem wrote:So many toys so little time! ....and $!!!! :mrgreen:

So true. But one can never be prepared enough....... :|
Freezer Bag Cooking, Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
http://www.freezerbagcooking.com

heckdog

Post by heckdog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:40 pm

I was talking to a grizzled old friend of mine (Larry) -- went something like this:

Me: "I think Bear spray would take care of any problems I encounter, both animal and human"
Larry: "You ever try to bear spray yourself to death?'
Me: "HUH???"
Larry: "There you are, twenty miles from anything, laying for two days with a broken femur, no chance for rescue, just wanting to end the pain........"
Me: "You are f'in crazy"