The Blueridge Parkway

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
irrationalsolutions

The Blueridge Parkway

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:07 pm

i took the day off from new stove ideas and took a day trip. i went up to the blueridge parkway. i did a little hiking, saw a few waterfalls, and went to caesars head. it has been a couple years since i was last their and i had forgot how beautiful it is. i was wondering if any of you had ever been. here are a couple pics.

“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Re: The Blueridge Parkway

Post by zelph » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:42 am

Peacefull!!!!! Good way for me to start the day off, looking at some peacefull, beautiful places in your area. I have'nt been there but wish I could have ;) Thanks for sharing your good fortune :D
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Post by Allen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:50 am

Thanks for the beautiful pics!

I'm lucky enough to live just a few miles from the parkway.

Cheers!

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:41 am

Nice pics, irrationalsolutions. I love waterfalls and that is a nice one. ;) Never been to that area but it is on my list. :mrgreen:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:20 am

its a great area. i still haven't seen all there is to see and i only live a couple hours away.

allen are you in boone? and i stopped in town and spent some time there for the first time. whats up with the white squirrels?

Allen

Post by Allen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:52 am

irrationalsolutions wrote: allen are you in boone?
I live in Pulaski Virginia, It's about a 30 minuite drive to the parkway.

and I have a Summer house (hopefully My retirement home) in

Floyd County Virginia. It's only a 5 minuite drive to the parkway.

Thanks again for the cool pics :)

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:31 pm

allen are you in boone? and i stopped in town and spent some time there for the first time. whats up with the white squirrels?
I've never seen a totally white squirrel in the wild but have seen a few palmetto? or white/grey mix. While i was in Columbus, OH, visiting relative, my Uncle showed me some black squirrels that are only in the city locally. I had never seen a black squirrel and i grew up in that area. They must have migrated there after I moved to Oxford. :roll:
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:11 am

My wife tells me there is an albino squirrel that lives next to her friends house here in St. Paul, Mn.
If I'm remembering correctly, there was also at least one that lived in a large park (Como Park) when I was young.
I've seen black and red squirrels as well but I don't recall where... somewhere in Minnesota I suppose.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:21 am

these people around sorry it was brevard claim that the squirrels are not albino they are white and they say they are the only place in the world with they. i never saw one but they have pics.

http://whitesquirrelfestival.com/

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:29 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:these people around sorry it was brevard claim that the squirrels are not albino they are white and they say they are the only place in the world with they. i never saw one but they have pics.

http://whitesquirrelfestival.com/
They are correct, sort of. White, not albino, squirrels do exist and Brevard is one of the areas that has them. According to wikipedia:
wikipedia wrote:Brevard, North Carolina and Marionville, Missouri have a substantial population of white (not albino) squirrels. Western Kentucky University has a locally famous population of white squirrels. Exeter, Ontario in Canada is known for having non-albino white squirrels, believed to be the result of a genetic mutation in the early 20th century. White squirrels are also commonly seen in Dayton, Ohio and on the campus of Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio. The snow belt in Western and Central New York (Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse) also has a significant white squirrel population
As for Minnesota, I think our white squirrels are actually albinos.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin