new gear

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
irrationalsolutions

new gear

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:07 am

i'm taking the oppertunity of being down for a few weeks to search out and look for new gear. i just got a new knife in (the first thing i cut with it was myself so it should be a good knife) and was going to look for some other things most of all is a new tent. this is important to me. i dont like them but if the wife (looking over my shoulder :? ) or more importantly my dog come with me i have to have a tent. my last one was well made i had it for almost 20 years it was heavy but it worked and i already had it so i couldnt beat the price. but it is more of a bunch of patches and spray water repellent than a tent now. i havent really looked into tents in years so the question i have is... what is a good tent that me and the wife will fit in (looking over my shoulder again :? ) me and my dog.

my dog and i tried a hommock once and only once. she has to sleep with me or she whines and hammocks are not for dogs so i found out.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

dlarson
Site Admin

Re: new gear

Post by dlarson » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:25 am

This same kind of question has been asked a lot over at BackpackingLight.com.
A quick Google search of the forums over there gave these results.
I would usually look through and pull out a few relevant ones but I don't have much time at the moment.
2 person tents
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:04 pm

irrationalsolutions, A lot of it will depend on what you are looking for in a tent. Do you want a tarptent(very lightweight) or maybe a more traditional dome or half dome type tent? Do you want 2 doors and two vestubules? So many options. First, decide what you need in a tent and they go in that direction. Stumpjumper and I went in halves on a Rokk Horizen tent at about 5lbs. It has 2 doors and 2 vestubules, inside pockets wity gear loft and aluminum poles and was on the inexpensive side. Those were my criteria and so far we have been happy after 3 years of light usage. I like to use my hammock whenever I can but when I hike with Stumpjumper, we use this tent.
http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-ro ... n-2-person

It met our needs and the price was right. So figure out exactly what you want and go from there.
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:49 pm

with that in mind i want something that will stand on its own has a tub floor ( it has to be completely closed in or the dog will get out she is a beagle and if she hears something she will always go after it) 1 door with and well vented. when i go out int he winter it rarely gets under 30F. but thats about it i dont need much and dont want to spend too much on it but i will spend if i have to, and to me weight is a flexable thing i dont mind a little heavier if im getting something that is worth it. it is verry hot and humid here in the summer so condensation is an issue.

i'm also looking at a new pack. right now im using a med. alice pack and i love it but i was thinking about trying aomething new and i had my eye on the kelty redwing 3100.

oops56

Post by oops56 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:53 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:with that in mind i want something that will stand on its own has a tub floor ( it has to be completely closed in or the dog will get out she is a beagle and if she hears something she will always go after it) 1 door with and well vented. when i go out int he winter it rarely gets under 30F. but thats about it i dont need much and dont want to spend too much on it but i will spend if i have to, and to me weight is a flexable thing i dont mind a little heavier if im getting something that is worth it. it is verry hot and humid here in the summer so condensation is an issue.

i'm also looking at a new pack. right now im using a med. alice pack and i love it but i was thinking about trying aomething new and i had my eye on the kelty redwing 3100.
Just tie his leash to your foot :lol: :lol:
Man play with fire man get burnt

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:20 pm

Without getting deep into your pockets, check into tents made by Kelty, REI, Eureka, Sierra Designs. I even got a deal on a 5 x 7 Coleman for $15 at Kroger of all places when they marked them down at the end of the summer. As far as your pack, you can't go wrong with Kelty gear. I have several packs by Kelty. They are not ultra light but are durable and last a long time. Mountainsmith also makes quality gear along the price line of Kelty. The lighter you go, the more it cost. :roll: Since you stated a little extra weight is not a problem, I'm sure you can find something in those brands that will meet your needs. I like to check out products on ebay. Sometimes you can get great deals there. This is the time of year(esp. after XMAS) you can find season ending clearance prices on discontinued stock at Dick's and other sporting goods stores as they make room for the new models coming out next year. Good luck !
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:37 pm

that sounds like good advise. its just been so long since i have been looking at them and there are so many new ccompanies out there now. i don't know which one to stay away from. i dont mind spending money on good gear but i dont want to buy crap either.

i was re-reading this thread and noticed that i used "the" wife and "my" dog. i hope she doesn't find out.

GAGA

Post by GAGA » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:50 pm

NEW GEAR I`ve heard a rumor that a new steripen is coming soon and is tough and simple to use, cant wait to try it out, until then i will make a gravity filter out of 2 platipus bags and a aqua mira pro filter ,b`couse when my msr mini works ceramic filter gets wet its freaking heavy
Last edited by GAGA on Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you can pay for school,but you can never buy class!

Allen

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:33 pm

I prefer to use a tarp pitched in this fashion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk

But if I were to buy a tent, it would be this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_N-KKYH5Xw

I've noticed that tents designed for the UK market
usually have a porch like that. It saves You the
weight of half of the floor too.

Cheers!

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 am

thanks for all the advice i guess i need to really take a look at how all the tents are made. they have changed so much. can ya'll give a list of a few names you might know of that i should not waste my time with?