new gear

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Allen

Re: new gear

Post by Allen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:07 am

I used to ride a lot. Mostly Harley and Triumph. I had a Very Bad wreck, and now I'm scared of them. :)

Cheers!

Allen

Post by Allen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:27 am

Look at the prices on these Internal Frame packs:

http://www.eurekacampingctr.com/eureka/ ... pt_id=3033

Cheers!

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:38 am

Good bikes. Sorry to hear of your accident. They are dangerous machines and one has to have keen senses and always be driving defensively, looking for possible dangers. I've owned a couple Honda's as that is all i could afford at the time. I remember taking my driving test on a cb350 and watching some of the big bike riders really struggle with the maneuverability test thru the cones. On a smaller bike, the test was a breeze, then on the way back to Oxford, I decided to take some scenic country backroads and kind of "feel' my way back home as I had no clue where the roads went. Long story short, I got lost and rounded a corner that was covered with loose gravel. Well, you can guess, I laid her down and tore up some leg skin and broke a side mirror and turn signal. Drove alot more defensively after that. I was lucky. I've lately had the desire to try some bike camping. I just need to get the old 75 cb500t operational again. :roll: or find a sweet deal on another bike. :)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:43 am

Allen wrote:Look at the prices on these Internal Frame packs:

Cheers!
Allen, i don't know much about Eurekas packs but I would google the name of the pack with the word "review" next to it and see what others have to say. The prices are inviting, for sure. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:44 am

Ridgerunner wrote:Good bikes. Sorry to hear of your accident. They are dangerous machines and one has to have keen senses and always be driving defensively, looking for possible dangers. I've owned a couple Honda's as that is all i could afford at the time. I remember taking my driving test on a cb350 and watching some of the big bike riders really struggle with the maneuverability test thru the cones. On a smaller bike, the test was a breeze, then on the way back to Oxford, I decided to take some scenic country backroads and kind of "feel' my way back home as I had no clue where the roads went. Long story short, I got lost and rounded a corner that was covered with loose gravel. Well, you can guess, I laid her down and tore up some leg skin and broke a side mirror and turn signal. Drove alot more defensively after that. I was lucky. I've lately had the desire to try some bike camping. I just need to get the old 75 cb500t operational again. :roll: or find a sweet deal on another bike. :)
Yikes!!!! I had a friend that did the same country road thing. he broke both shoulders and was laid up for two weeks at home.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Post by Allen » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:48 am

Ridgerunner wrote:
Allen wrote:Look at the prices on these Internal Frame packs:

Cheers!
Allen, i don't know much about Eurekas packs but I would google the name of the pack with the word "review" next to it and see what others have to say. The prices are inviting, for sure. ;)
You're right zelph. It's always wise to read reviews. I don't really need another pack,
but that 52.00 price really got to me.

Cheers!

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:20 pm

i'm still on the hunt for the right tent. i did get the ozark trail tent and with a few mods i have in mind it should work out fine, but its still a little heavier than i think it needs to be. i decided to try to make a tent and was wonder if anyone knew of any sites that has info on the subject. its not the design i want to know about its more the way to do it. keeping the seems waterproof and stuff like that.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Post by hoz » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:37 pm

I've got two tents for sale. The biggest is a Camp Trails (made by Eureka) and similar to the Eureka Tetragon Adventure. It's a 3 season, 7x7 self standing, double walled dome, with rainfly and can sleep 3 , 4 if you are good friends. It was used once on a canoe trip to Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. I'm asking $80.00 including shipping. It weighs around 7 lbs I think.

The other is a 5x7 Eureka Timberlite 2. Self standing (except for two side pull outs.) This tent has a sloping ridge and weighs 4lbs. Double walled with a full rainfly (goes to the ground) and I wouldn't hesitate to use it 4 seasons. It's rated for 2 but I use it as a solo tent. Forsome reason Eureka discontinued this model and went to the Zeus line (single walled tents ). This one is $75.00 including shipping.

Mister Krabs

Post by Mister Krabs » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:50 pm

I recently bought an alps mountaineering Taurus 5 for family. I am VERY impressed with the quality (about equal with Kelty) for the price. Check out the zephyr 3, 40 square feet and 5 lbs. That's the same size but a pound less than the MSR Mutha Hubba. It can be had new for about 100$, PM me for how.
http://alpsmountaineering.com/ALPSMount ... Zephyr.htm

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:46 am

i was reading about sealing the seems with silicon mixed with low oder mineral spirits. does anyone know if this has to be brushed on or if it can be sprayed on with a paint sprayer?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”