new gear

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
Vibe

Re: new gear

Post by Vibe » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:04 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:i was reading about sealing the seems with silicon mixed with low oder mineral spirits. does anyone know if this has to be brushed on or if it can be sprayed on with a paint sprayer?
The site http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/support/seam.asp is where I first read about the make your own seam sealer using silicone caulk and mineral spirits.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius--------------------------------------------- Image

Ridgerunner

Post by Ridgerunner » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:08 am

IRA, I used that mix to seal the seam in my rainfly of my hammock setup. I just used my finger to make sure I rubbed it into the threading real good. I may have initially applied it with a small brush. I did both sides. It has never leaked. ;)
"Many of lifes failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up".....Thomas Edison

"Live Life....Love Life....Ask More !

hoz

Post by hoz » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:15 am

irrationalsolutions wrote:i was reading about sealing the seems with silicon mixed with low oder mineral spirits. does anyone know if this has to be brushed on or if it can be sprayed on with a paint sprayer?
Use a small glue brush or chip brush.

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:49 pm

Mix it so it's on the thick, but brushable. Use an acid brushthat can be found in hardware store paint departments.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:48 pm

so what you are saying is not to spray it?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

zelph

Post by zelph » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:56 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:so what you are saying is not to spray it?
Seams are not much of an area to brush. Seams need heavier deposits of sealer. Brushem ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:06 pm

now that that is settled does anyone know of a pack brand that has the duribility of a kelty with the same ease of access that will hold a hydration bladder and port it out but is lighter? that my only concern with getting a kelty for my new pack. as far as style i still like the redwing 3100 for a few days but i'm looking into the Coyote 4750 it shold be big enough for anything and my thru hike but at 5lbs 6oz its a beast. on the other hand its made to last and is set up more along the lines of what i want. any ideas?
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

hoz

Post by hoz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:23 am

Think lightweight. Sub 3lbs, 2 is better. Kelty is a thing of the past. Maybe DIY, there are some good designs on the net. Most thru hikers carry loads under 40 lbs anyway. Frequent resupply is the key.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:02 pm

I found picking out a pack kind of difficult because I didn't have all my gear yet. Not having all my gear made me wait and pick out the pack last. Luckily I had another old (and large) pack that I could use while gathering my gear and still get outdoors at the same time.

I use a ULA Conduit and have found it to be a great pack. You might want to check out ULA's products to see if any fit your needs.
http://www.ula-equipment.com/index.htm
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

hoz

Post by hoz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:19 pm

A friend of mine just bought the Conduit. Nicely made, well thought out. Excellent materials.