clean water

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
irrationalsolutions

clean water

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 am

i know its not a stove or pot or anything for ultra lite backpacking. my family always goes on a 10 day camping trip to the beach every summer. the problem we always run into is good water. even the water at the camp site has a salty taste. so we always have to buy or bring water for drinking and cooking. i have been working on a design based on a moonshine still to boil water over a fire to evaporate it run it through a condensing tube into a storage container where it then goes througha activated charcoal filter. this should make even sea water from the ocean drinkable (i think). i was wondering what ya'll thought about this idea.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

dlarson
Site Admin

Re: clean water

Post by dlarson » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:08 am

Well, it seems a little big and bulky but it should work. The activated charcoal filter might be overkill though. It will remove heavy metals and such but not salt. The only way to remove the salt is through distillation or extreme reverse osmosis (see chart). And since you will be distilling the water anyway, the charcoal filter will probably do very little.

Some people argue for, and others argue against, drinking distilled water. Water can provide certain minerals to our systems but if enough is taken in through diet than distilled water shouldn't be an issue, especially if it's only for short periods. In some areas of the world distilled water is the only clean source they have.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:16 am

the charcoal filter was mainly just because a had a couple laying around while working on the idea. i figured it might help with the taste of the water. and i know it is a little bulky but its a family beach trip. we pull the cars up to the sites and park i don't have to hike it in.

zelph

Post by zelph » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:51 pm

irrationalsolutions wrote:i know its not a stove or pot or anything for ultra lite backpacking. my family always goes on a 10 day camping trip to the beach every summer. the problem we always run into is good water. even the water at the camp site has a salty taste. so we always have to buy or bring water for drinking and cooking. i have been working on a design based on a moonshine still to boil water over a fire to evaporate it run it through a condensing tube into a storage container where it then goes througha activated charcoal filter. this should make even sea water from the ocean drinkable (i think). i was wondering what ya'll thought about this idea.
I like Dual Purpose distillers, make your fuel and drinking water. Your on the right track there IRA ;)
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com/

Allen

Post by Allen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:29 pm

I saw a really cool solar still on a German language TV station a few years back. It was about 3 ' in diameter,
and designed to be stackable. One "still" was supposed to distill enough drinking/cooking water for
1 person per day. It was 50.00.

For just 10 days I would use bottled water.

Cheers!

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:39 pm

we alway use bottled water. but i want to make something. not only that but i figured it would be a good thing to have around you never know what is going to happen and i live in the hurricane area. the last big on to hit us was hugo around 1989 but we were without power for 6 days and at that point drinking water can become a problem amoung other things. and why buy bottled water when you can make clean water yourself. but i understand what you are saying.

Allen

Post by Allen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:46 pm

Hugo came through here too. I lost a Peach tree to it.

The real point of My first post, which I should have made better, was that Solar stills work great
at the beach. They are pretty easy to construct.

Have fun on Vacation :)

Cheers!

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:57 pm

<start rant>
Personally, I'm all for building a distiller if it will reduce or even stop the need for bottled water. 80% of plastic water bottles never make it to recycling but recycling isn't the end-all answer either. The term recycling brings to mind and endless circle where the material is used again and again but that really isn't the case.

In the book Cradle to Cradle, McDonough and Braungart make this point by showing that recycled water bottles do not become new water bottles. Instead, the material is used for carpeting, upholstery, and even clothing fabrics. Those items, especially carpet and upholstery, are often discarded at the end of their lives so recycling only delays the water bottle's trip to the landfill.

Additionally, some plastics may leech toxins into the product they contain and in the case of carpets and fabrics the plastic will off-gas toxins into the air. To further compound the difficulties in recycling plastic, the molecular structure of the material breaks down with each reheating. This necessitates the use of a mix of recycled and virgin plastics to maintain the structural integrity of the item. Recycled plastics are also more likely to introduce foreign material into the item being made. In the case of medical parts and food containers, 100% virgin plastic is often used to prevent foreign material in the item.
</end rant>

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:59 pm

when i said we used bottled water i ment we used empty milk jugs that we fill at home. i never buy bottled water i dont see paying for the same water that is coming out someone eles' tap. when i worked a lowes we had a plastic recycling cage out front that was picked up twice a week and mose of what was in it was water bottles. so i understand your point.

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:17 pm

That's good to hear. I like the sound of that!
Just to be clear, my little diatribe isn't aimed at anybody in particular. I just feel it's worth knowing.
Do you have any pictures of the distiller yet? Post them when you do because I'd like to see it. I was thinking about building one myself to see if I could purify the 70% isopropyl alcohol available at the stores around here. It has a higher heat potential than ethanol and methanol. I haven't figured out yet if the soot buildup from isopropyl is due to water and other impurities but that's what I want to test.