clean water

Questions or comments about hiking in general? Post them here!
irrationalsolutions

Re: clean water

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:35 pm

sorry don't have pics yet i havent finished it and its boxed up and in storage. after the first surgery money started getting tight and after the second surgery we moved in with family to make it easier so someone would be around to help with me. so with that said most of my off the wall stuff is in storage to be pulled out later. the doctor thinks i should be able to work again by the beginning of next year so we will get our own place again and the real fun stuff begins again.

the wholw family think of me as a goof ball b/c i like to make things but they never seem to say anything when it helps them or something breaks and i fix it.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

Allen

Post by Allen » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:05 pm

Here's more info about the solar still I spoke of earlier.
They have a demo video too:

http://www.watercone.com/product.html

Here's a link to a thread on another forum about H2O Distillation:

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... &sk=t&sd=a

Cheers!

irrationalsolutions

Post by irrationalsolutions » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:53 pm

the first post i did some testing and experimenting with one like that. i used a kids greenhouse that i picked up at a science store and it worked well but i couldnt get the volume of water i wanter from it. and the other one my idea is a little less complex. but its about the same idea. i'm trying to make it so it all packs down into the collection container. the only problem i think i will run into with that is the copper tubing. to pack it down i would have to bend it up and to use it bend it back and so forth and so on. and copper gets stiff after its bent a few times even smsll bends will do it and it will crack and break. so i'm going to try some flew tubing and see how that works. thats really the only part i'm not sure about. being from sc and most of my family from nc i know a thing or to about stills. my uncle says non-copper tubing will not work but i think it will i may have to make it a little longer though.
“Do or do not... there is NO try.” Yoda

Luke "Whats in (out) there?" Yoda "Only what you take with you."

Luke "I can’t believe it." Yoda "That is why you Fail.”

dlarson
Site Admin

Post by dlarson » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:31 am

I think one of the reasons to use copper tubing is its excellent ability to conduct heat. I would definitely use it for the condenser coil and maybe a length of it coming off the top of the boiler but you could probably get away with flexible tubing in the other areas.
"Hiking is just walking where it's O.K. to pee." -Demetri Martin

Allen

Post by Allen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:06 am

If I were to build a backpacking still, I would use a tea kettle as the boiler.
-----
Copper makes the distilled product taste better. In modern Reflux stills

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflux

Copper pot scrubbers are often added to increase the amount of copper surface area.

Cheers!